1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you include Eric Gordon in a sign and trade for Paul George?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 31, 2018.

?

Let me get yall opinion on this

1. Yes

80.3%
  2. No

19.7%
  1. MyLateRegistration

EG is not a good defender and is an awful rebounder

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I absolutely love Gordon. He showed absolute heart in game 6 and 7 without Paul but this is Paul freaking George.

IvanLCPM likes this.
  3. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Gordon played really well for us against the Warriors, especially after his shaky first 2 series and Game 1. Too bad his shooting never really came around, save for Game 2, but he was that consistent 3rd option we needed him to be.

He definitely surprised many of his critics and improved his reputation from being a malcontent, steaky oft-injured defensively liability shooter from his NOP days to an legitimate, but still streaky, scorer who can give a team a nice 3rd playmaker that won't kill you defensively. He's been one of my favorite players recently, especially early in the season when he drove to the rim relentlessly. He is a huge value for this team.

But if Paul George is on the table, you do it in a heartbeat.

It's a shame Paul George is on the Thunder, or else I would say that we should prioritize him over LBJ. He is everything you would want in a wing player next to Harden/Paul. Great defender, very capable on offense, can create his own shot, knock down shooter especially when set, play style is best suited as a 2nd/3rd option. He's basically a very, very rich man's Ariza.

If no past history is in play, I could plausibly see the Thunder taking on Gordon, a 1st, 2nd and filler for George if he gives them the CP3 ultimatum (Trade me to Houston for something or I walk and you get nothing). Gordon would fit really well with WB and they could move Roberson back to a more natural SF position. But I just don't see how the Thunder, namely Presti, could ever make a deal with the Rockets, namely Morey, especially if the Rockets would be getting the clear best player in the deal.

Honestly, the only way I could see Presti making that move is if we could somehow relieve him of Melo, as well.

joshuaao and Why not? like this.
  4. Sanity2disChaos

5. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

[QUOTE Honestly, the only way I could see Presti making that move is if we could somehow relieve him of Melo, as well.[/QUOTE]
    well throw in ryno, we got a deal, serviceable shooting big for a less expensive malcontent :D

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  6. deshen

deshen Member

depends on what kind of contract.
    more than $15m per year? no.

7. acjeitherocket

yes of course. no brainer. I love EG but for PG...I wouldn't blink twice

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

after what I just witnessed from the great LeThanos, I’m not even thinking about Paul George anymore

Bron, Harden, and CP3 will be the trio to utterly embarrass GS and bring a title to Houston

joshuaao and hakeem94 like this.
  9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

It’s hard to ask anybody that shoots 10 threes per game to keep their fg%, respectable

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I don't think it's going to happen, but in a scenario where the Thunder either

1. lose Paul George, are completely capped out and ride with Russ, Adams, Roberson and a bunch of scrubs

2. Exchange PG for Gordon and Ryno, restoring a TON of balance in their roster and scoring ability

I think they'd choose option 2. Ryno is a negative asset, but he'd absolutely get plenty of minutes on the OKC roster, they really wouldn't have a better option.

Presti is a pragmatic thinker. He makes objective decisions, regardless of public perception. He knows free agency is an uphill battle for him, even with cap space. I would not rule out the possibility. That said, there are 2 enormous hurdles. First is convincing PG to opt in and essentially take a $10mil paycut like CP3 did, while also turning down his long dream of playing for the Lakers. Secondly, OKC ownership would have to decide they would pay luxury tax on a squad that likely does not make it to the WCF.

#70 Fullcourt, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  11. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Did you watch the games. He absolutely is a decent defender

Deckard and douglasreedy1 like this.
  12. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

You’re selling yourself short... you know deep down that Westbrook is basically the exact opposite of someone like Magic Johnson. Westbrook is the only player I’ve ever seen that can even slow down Durant.. but only when they’re on the same team.

Vivi likes this.
  13. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

No, LeBron or bust.

14. tc0330

tc0330 Member

How would a sign and trade work tho if PG about to become a FA?
    Because Gordon and picks would be attached to it?

15. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

He can shoot, and is good ball handeler. Period. He wants to be here, and win.

PG really wants to be in LA we all know it.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Especially when the offensive system generates horrible contested shots well behind the 3pt line.

mac_got_this and Ramo$e like this.
  17. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Only if we can include Ryan Anderson in the package...

Bandwagoner and Ramo$e like this.
  18. finsraider

finsraider Member

A better question might be: what if OKC wanted Gordon AND Tucker....would you still do the deal? Not sure on that one.

Ramo$e likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

My heart says "hell no", but my head says "eh"...reality is, even if we trade PJ we can still keep Trevor and Luc, with George we would have three solid forwards able to play the 4, but tbh, i'm not sure i'd do that, Gordon and PJ have been great for us, perfect players for our team, great contracts too...Presti better be happy with Gordon alone eventually. Especially if Melo stays there cause if that happens, they won't have any other choice to make a serious upgrade, like, take Gordon and be grateful for that, otherwise roll with Westbrook, Adams, Melo, Roberson, a MLE player, a trash bench, and enjoy another guaranteed first round exit (at best).

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Tough call for me. I really, really like Tucker, and he's signed to a great deal. I lean towards Gordon and a 1st round pick as a "its better than nothing" offer. I'm not sure we are a better team if we lose both Tucker and Gordon.

I look at it this way...if Lebron commits, Im absolutely willing to throw Gordon and Tucker into the trade pot. Lebron can easily play the 4/5 to replace Tucker's minutes and he can more than takeover for Gordon's playmaking. If not, and we can get George's ear, I see us letting Ariza walk, which makes losing Tucker a non-starter.

Either way, I'm interested to see how we replace Gordon. Can we finally convince Llull to come over? If not, will Reddick accept the taxpayer MLE to go for a ring?

Vivi likes this.