1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you do this trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stevel, Nov 17, 2003.

1. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

First of all if you don't like to look at trade ideas, please click the back button now.....

For those who think that the Rockets may be missing something, and need some tweaking, would you trade Francis and Cato to Dallas for Nash and Jamison?

For those who are wondering why Dallas would do the deal - While I definitely think that Nash is a superior PG to SF, I think SF may be a better overall player. Let's face it when SF is on he can be an unstoppable scorer and that fits with Dallas' no D all O philosphy. Dallas is full of guys that can get their own shot, therefore they don't need a true PG. I thinking putting Francis on their team makes them match up better with the Lakers - I remember SF lighting up Kobe for 44 last year, and GP no longer has the quickness to stay with SF.

Additionally, the deal give Dallas a true center to do the dirty work inside for them and to play some D.

For us we get a true PG that can shoot well from the outside to help create spacing for Yao, MoT, and Jamison down low. Additionally he could help create easy baskets for the others. Jamison could work very well with Yao. He is a good rebounder, and could help Yao with some the scoring load inside, knocking down open jumpers when his guy doubles Yao.

I came up with the idea because their are rumors that Nash may opt out of his contract at season's end, so perhaps things are all rosy in big D, and AJ seems to be unhappy with the 6th man role he has up there. I think this trade could benefit both teams, and I was curious if others had an opinion.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I probably would do that, but I doubt either side would want to.

Dallas won't because Nash is the center of the offense and they are probably aware of Steve's "issues."

Houston won't do it because we would be giving up a very good scorer. Definitely Steve is a better scorer than Nash.

But yeah I would do it.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Teams rarely trade superstars within their own division. THats the 1st problem. 2nd problem is that although Francis is a better player than Nash, Nash is by far a better PG and might be the most crucial piece of the Mavs offense. Last problem, is that we would be giving Dallas the last piece to their championship puzzle (a defensive minded/rebounding big man with size).

Not a good trade for either team IMO.

4. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

i would never do this trade...simply because i can't stand nash. also becasue steve francis is the best player on the rockets.

5. hulk

hulk Contributing Member

If you watch mav's game w/ raptors, you know how Nash is important to them.

6. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

Thanks for responding guys-

I am just not sure that Dallas needs a true PG with their current mix of players, and I think that SF may function better as a PG up there. I sometimes wonder if SF's mindset isn't "I am our best player therefore I should take most of the shots" He clearly wouldn't be the best player on Dallas' team, and he may have more confidence in their guys which would allow him to give the ball up more. I think having a true PG is less important when you have a solid crew of scorers at your disposal. Additionally, alot of their guys are pretty good passers. Imagine running a pick and roll with Dirk or Walker and SF - pretty tough to stop. Plus imagine trying to defend a back court of Finley and Francis.

Nash could fit so perfectly with what we are trying to do. While he clearly isn't the scorer that SF is I think it is obvious that our team's shooting percentage as a whole would increase as everyone should get better shots. Nash is also better defensively.

7. jeerome

jeerome Member

SF is the best player on what terms?? Athleticism sure. But he's got putty for Brains. He's also GREAT at hoggin' the ball and turning it over. He may lead the team in stats but he comes up short on decision making abilities in crunchtime.
    Who else would go for a Trifecta (twice) at the buzzer.....

...when the game is TIED!!! he's a dumass.

8. sweetie

sweetie Member

"Plus imagine trying to defend a back court of Finley and Francis."

That would be easier than defending a backcourt of nash/finley.

Face it,this trade is a no brainer. Thats why dallas wont do it
    jamison>cato
    nash>frenzy