1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Would you discourage your kid(s) from playing football

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by UtilityPlayer, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
?

Would you discourage your kid(s) from playing football ?

1. Yes

65 vote(s)
    73.0%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Indifferent

13 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Yes , No , Indifferent

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This question has been asked on here before. I don't recall my thoughts back then. I won't push my kids to play football, but I won't try and stop them from playing. My kids have made no indication that they are interested in playing football, as they prefer basketball or soccer.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

When Dr. Omalu says 90% of NFL players suffer from some form of CTE then I think that would be a huge red flag to allowing my son to play at all. Injuries are one thing but brain damage is a whole different thing.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

I believe I previously said yes, go for it, go play if you desire.

Now? No. We'll go play baseball, basketball, or soccer.

Goodell says he still feels good about youth/high school football. "There's risk in life. There's risk in sitting on the couch." — @TomPelissero

Goodell: "If I had a son I'd want him to play football. There are risks in life, risks sitting on the couch." — @sallyjenx

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Too much evidence that it's a bad idea at this point.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My son (who is now 20) had no choice in the matter. Basketball was/is his favorite sport anyway.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;If I had a son I'd want him to play football. There are risks in life, risks sitting on the couch.&quot; Roger Goodell</p>&mdash; Sally Jenkins (@sallyjenx) <a href="https://twitter.com/sallyjenx/status/695702544291491840">February 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Hello no!

Basketball is where the real money is at. With an exploding salary cap, huge emerging markets in Asia, and shoemakers willing to throw a small nation's GDP at your feet, there has never been a better time to be a baller.

The only brain damage my kid is going to sustain is from diving head first McScrooge Duck style into Olympic-sized pool of money!

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Of course I'd let him play.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

I think as more and more of these old football players have their brain examined after they die, we will see that most of them have brain damage. I think eventually the NFL will make radical changes to how the game is played. I don't know what those changes will be. But they will have to do much more than what they've done so far.

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

Nope. I would probably have them do something less dangerous to their brain, something like MMA or the like.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

To be fair..the money in the game stuff is for maybe 1% of all the kids participating in youth sports. That shouldn't be the driver for 99% of kids playing youth sports.

I'm not sure I'm too concerned about brain damage for kids playing football from junior high through high school.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't discourage it, I'd outright forbid it.

14. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

But what about kids who only play from 7th to 12th grade. Are they really having brain damage too? They play far less than a NFL player and the kids then are much less violent.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If he wanted to, I would let him.

But I would say no, after his first concussion.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

If you are thinking about money, sports to choose (in order):
    Golf
    Baseball
    Soccer
    Basketball
    Football
    Hockey

The problem with Basketball, realistically, unless you are 6'4" or above you have very little shot of making the league (yes, there are exceptions). Even then.....there are on 15 spots on a NBA roster. 450 players. Playing overseas is not going to make you millions of dollars (for the most part). Golf has the best risk reward and the least physical skills need.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You need a lot of money in order for a child to become a golfer good enough to make money.

18. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

I would encourage my kid to play rugby. It is like American football but more fun and with less serious injuries and a more gentlemanly game. In football, coaches encourage you to try to hurt the opposing players, which you can easily try to do because you have all that padding and a helmet. (I played high school football and grad school rugby).

19. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

After watching 2 1/2 seasons of "Friday Night Tykes", yeah...no football.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would discourage it, or rather did, one chose Karate, the other soccer and Bball - happy with their choices.

DD