1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you be disappointed if Morey doesn't pull off a significant trade at the deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CheezeyBoy22, Jan 21, 2014.

?

Would you be disappointed if Morey doesn't pull off a significant trade at the deadline?

1. Yes

150 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. No

140 vote(s)
    48.3%
  1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With the 2014 trading deadline approaching, would you be disappointed if Morey wasn't able to pull off a significant trade during this trading deadline? Morey's track record shows that he'll make some type of deal at the deadline.

I was talking with some of my co-workers today and my thought process is I rather Morey make a deal that will clear cap space rather than taking a bad deal. We know Morey doesn't take bad deals that doesn't provide flexibility. I just have a hard time believing Morey can trade either Asik or Lin without giving up some asset(s) along with them. We know Asik can be a top 3 center across the league when he wants to play.

I would love to add a piece that can solidify our bench. I don't have the numbers but I feel like injuries and our inconsistent bench has really hurt this team.

Since we're at least a month away from the trading deadline, anything can happen between now and then.

Your thoughts?

2. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I would say "no" for now since I don't think there is something significant that is readily available. Let's face it, Asik + fillers will not get us the 3rd star we need. I just don't see a significant piece being traded away at the deadline. I hope I am wrong though.

3. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

yes...unless asik comes back and stop being a puss

4. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

Depends on Asik's attitude, if he's gonna b**** and moan for the rest of the season, then I would be disappointed we didn't trade him

5. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

And that's kinda where I'm at with this. If Asik was playing this whole season, I would be singing a different tune. I also think with T. Jones playing really well this season has kind of changed the dynamic of our needs. I know Jones has a long way to go, but he's done a great job for a second-year player.

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Morey isn't going to just go all in on a trade and just say "this is it".

He won't do a cap clearing trade in the sense of a salary dump either. Expect something Inbetween. I'm guessing he wants vets to plug in at multiple positions. For instance all of our rookies got slaughtered against ibaka. You could assume camby is that player but their are way to many questions on his playing ability at this moment.

I think the hardest part of the Asik trade is finding a team willing to take him, even if he op claims he is a top 3 centre (which he is not, maybe top 5 defensively but that's it) their are not that many teams both morey/ the other team willing to do a trade to acquire him IMO. His average cost when dealt at the deadline will be a player on just over 12 million.

7. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I say no, the season is already going as predicted... so a minor change in roster or no change to the roster wouldn't bother me... however I really do want to get a back up C and more shooters and plays proper D

8. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Yes. This team very clearly needs some help. Sure, we're a playoff team, but we don't have enough to be champions at the moment.

9. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

You're right. I would say he's a top 3-5 center defensively.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey has stated this at the beginning of the year. The Rockets lack the flexibility to add pieces this season because of CBA restrictions.

To Morey this has always been a multi-year process. One where the best odds of the Rockets winning it all is not this year. You may disagree with his approach, and you may feel he's a failure if he doesn't put the best possible roster this season. But that is what his plans are.

So no, I don't believe we'll make a significant move besides Asik for something salvageable, if that. I see most likely something along the lines of a Bayless for Lee trade or Crawford for Douglas trade.

1 person likes this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Asik definitely needs to GTFO by the trade deadline

12. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Yes. Our superstars will only be in there prime for so long. If a trade isn't made for Asik, then this season is a waste. Asik doesn't want to be here and should've been traded this off season

13. NotChandlerParsons

Yes, mostly because theres always so much noise about this team. You just know it's going to heat up and there's going to be 500 Rockets trades reported before the deadline and 1 of them will actually go through. Never fails to psych me up for some reason.

14. Play07

Play07 Member

All depends on where asik head is at, he play lma, zbo, Blake etc, that's something you will need In the playoffs. If Howard gets I'm foul trouble which he will plenty of times it will be a field day at the rim vs most teams in the west when he sits.

15. rocketsmetalspd

Rockets have always been an organization when a player does not want to be on the team they find a way to trade or wavier that player. Rockets I hope do make a trade and I believe IF they do, that trade will pay huge dividends for the team.

16. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Do you feel like Morey would have to get up some assets in order to get Asik off this team? I have a feeling and I could be totally wrong that he'll have to give up a draft pick in order to get this contract off the books. Also, there isn't a guarantee that he can get someone that's expiring.

I do agree with you. You goal should always be winning a championship but I don't see that happening right now especially with the CBA.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

As good as Asik is, he is currently wasting space. He needs to be traded.

18. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

The only people that will be dissapointed are the people who post trade ideas in the random trades thread

19. Raven

Raven Member

My guess is that Morey would rather keep Assik than trade him for peanuts, especially if he thinks he can use him in an offseason deal. With Lin, I just don't see a market, we probably won't see Lin traded until the 2015 deadline, nor would I be surprised if he's here all the way until the end of his contract.

What would surprise me is if Morey doesn't make any trade at all. I still expect him to beef up the rotation with a backup for Dwight.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Of course not. There are plenty of stat-heavy teams that would pay handsomely for Asik. But as a Rockets fan would you like them?

For example, if the Mavs offer Dalembert and Shane Larkin for Asik, would you do it? What if OKC offers Perkins(salary matching), PJ3, and their own 1st? I would say Morey would reject such trades off hand, and they would be considered huge steals by the other team.