1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst NBA team commentator?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by moomoo, Jan 3, 2003.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Petersen no longer does Wolves TV, although he is still on the radio. Mychael Thompson is their TV color guy. Thompson is absolutely, unequivocally the worst. I know I have not seen everyone, but I can't imagine anyone close to being as bad as Thompson.

2. Truth

Truth Member

My NBA Announcers Smack
    (DimeMag.com ripoff)

Boston's Announcers are terrible. Anything that doesn't go their way, it a travesty or a terrible call. Guys like this make you loce Bill and Calvin even more, although Calvin does 1 thing that annoys me. With any kind of rough play (tough pick, hard foul, blocked shot) he always says " Ya know Bill, back we we played...". That is the only thing I have wrong with Calvin, it's bearable. Alot of people complain about Bill Walton, but I, for one, love the guy he is hilarious. Sometimes he's funny because what he says is utterly ridiculous, and other times he's so serious in his statement it's funny, like when he compared Yao Ming the champion chess players, Garry Kaspanov and Bobbie Fischer. HA!
    The one Nat'l team I think has developed into a great one is Marv Albert and the Czar. They constantly have that dry humor that I can appreciate. Anyway I'm out like Tim Hardaway's commas and vowels.

3. Scott Carefoot

Scott Carefoot New Member

How can you not love Bill Walton? He's too hilarious...

"Throw it down, big man! Throw it down!"

"That was terrrrrrible!"

I also love how he uses words like "heinous" and "egregious." I hope I get to see/hear Bill on the tube more because I'd love to have a "Bill Walton quote of the week" on my site.

4. foodworld

foodworld Member

Tommy Who? What if I sat here and posted "Calvin Who?," Elvin Who?," "Moses Who?" or "Hakeem Who?" Heinsohn has been a basketball hall-of-famer for over fifteen years.

Having been a successful coach for over eight seasons, he knows the game. However with such a history with the franchise he's a homer and seemingly tries to coach the team in his broadcasts. Some of it gets annoying with soundbites like "Take it to the hoop" and "If you live by the three, live by the three," but I think that most of what he says is on target. I especially like "Heinsight" in which he lays out things the C's need to do for a win and towards the end reviews if they were accomplished. "Make those superstars play defense," "Spread the floor and take Mutombo out of the box," things like that. And if you've listened to his broadcasts you know about "Tommy Points" awarded for hustle plays, taking charges, etc.

He even works with the Celtics players; he coached Vin Baker before one game to sort out his bad habits, and he had his best game of the season. Since then he has cut down his fouls and finishes off the glass instead of pumping the ball. Sometimes he gets too involved, too critical of players on other teams, and too overzealous about officiating. After the infamous game against the Celts last month, he actually took off his headset to heckle the lead official... "Merry Christmas" was the response :)

The other commentators are Mike Gorman who does play-by-play (been with Tommy for over 1000 broadcasts) and Bob Cousy, who makes infrequent appearances and is a little too blunt.

5. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I agree on almost every point. Thumbs up to Bill Walton, Marv Albert, and the Czar. All it takes to be a good announcer is a player's or coach's knowledge of the game and good appreciation for the game. The Jazz and Spurs announcers are not fans of basketball. They are there to entertain fans who can only see one team on the court playing.

6. foodworld

foodworld Member

Can't edit my post. The game last month I referred to was against the Suns.

7. napster

napster Member

Laker fans went from Chick Hearn to Paul Sunderland.

8. slinslin

slinslin Member

Tommy Heinson , is absolutely the worst homer. He is ridiculous.

I have the Celtics-Suns game on tape, at first you think it is hilarious because he is such an idiot but he is just annoying.

9. AznBallerz55

AznBallerz55 Member

well i never heard Tommy Heinson announce a game before, but i have to say everytime i watch a sacramento kings basketball game grant napear is terrible. he says stupid stuff like B]gerald wallace is the best athlete ever in the nba![/B]

i mean this guy is unreasonable! just can't stand him
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

10. Bookit

Bookit Member

Joel Myers (Spurs) is the worst homer I have ever heard. "Great play by Tim", "Good Block by Tim". He says "Tim" constantly and it really gets on my nerves. Also, according to Joel Myers, the Spurs are always getting burned by the Refs. His voice is also very annoying.

11. ROCS4LIFE

ROCS4LIFE Member

Clearly the Jazz announcers, I almost fell asleep listen to one of their games against the Rockets. I heard better announcers at a checkers matchup.

12. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

The Utah Jazz play by play guys are Hot Rod Hundley and Ron Boone. And frankly they are the best part of the Utah Jazz. I like Hundley a lot because he has been in the NBA forever. He was calling games for the New Orleans Jazz, so I do not consider him one to dislike because he just had to follow his job to Salt Lake. I find him fun to listen too also.

Paul Sunderland of the Lakers is pretty good. I see no reason to not like his work. Stu Lance might be the best team analyst in basketball. I like him a lot.

How can anyone not like Hubie Brown. The guy is the Peter Gammons of basketball. One of the smartest basketball men ever. He is also passionate. I wish he did not go back to coaching becuase I loved hearing him on TNT.

Bill Walton is awesome, I love his bold statements. King of sarcasm. last year during a rockets clippers game he compared Langhi and Collier to Olajuwon and Sampson. I was laughing pretty hard after that one.

I can't stand the Kings play-by-play guy, Grant Napear, Complains a lot. He says the phrase "If you don't like that, you don't like NBA basketball!!!" HeyNapear, how about saying that when there is a fabulous play AGAINST YOUR TEAM.
    He has become spoiled by the Kings success, and its because of him, Kings fans and Webber, and Christie, why I am pulling for the Lakers to beat them again in the playoffs.

Joel Meyers of the Spurs is outright terrible. extremely biased to the point of insanity. But I think Meyers is an excellent announcer when he does college football, or NFL games on radio or teams not involving the spurs.

I am Glad Brent Musburger is back doing the NBA on TV. He called the Finals for a few seasons in the 70s and early 80s. Musburger gets ripped a lot, but I find him entertaining.

Can't go wrong with Bill and Calvin, Worrell Likes the Rockets but tells it like he sees it. I hope he stays around until he starts slurring names. Calvin bashes the Rockets shot selection at times, which is also a good thing.

#32 JBIIRockets, Jan 5, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2003
  13. foodworld

foodworld Member

Everything Tom Heinsohn said that night was justified. All of it. Ken Mauer is the sleaziest official in the league and that game's officiating should have been reviewed.

14. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I used to hate at the college level Dick Vitale but since growing up over the years i learned to like him, and Walton i thought used to be a little annoying but after awhile i now know he has a lot of knowledge about the game so hes alright.

15. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

calvin murphy is da man!

16. moomoo

moomoo Member

Found this from a link on the cc.net front page:
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/jan03/108253.asp

I personally do not know what Heinsohn actually said, but it's not hard to imagine the unprovoked, reckless biased tone that his remarks probably had, IMO. This guy has some serious issues. Man, what a homer.

#36 moomoo, Jan 6, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2003