1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst NBA team commentator?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by moomoo, Jan 3, 2003.

1. moomoo

moomoo Member

I nominate the guy who calls Celtics games, Tommy Heinsonn (spelling?).

After hearing this guy a few times on NBALP, I was begging for a revolver to put myself out of my misery. This guy is blatantly, blindly biased to the Celtics, no matter how obvious it is that the call in question should favor the other team. Also, any good play that the Celts do, no matter how insignificant, he gets all intense and **** like its overtime in a close game or something, while it's actually only the beginning of the first quarter and the Celts are down by double digits.

Really makes you appreciate Bill and Calvin. They favor the Rocks, but aren't blinded by it. For the most part, they call games like they see them, and give the other team and players on the other team props when props are due.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Hubie was the worst. Walton is becoming unlisten-to-able.

3. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

i like walton a lot, he is hilarious.

4. Holden

Holden Member

walton i used to hate. he's grown on me like mold. and is now funny. in addition..hes a great ambassador for the game.

ainge, thompson. unbearable.

spurs and wolves announcers. im not completely familiar but i dont like them. ive heard others say the same..

5. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

The Jazz announcers, and not just because of the team they call. They just bug me. A lot.

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

Actually, Jim Petersen (former Rocket) is the color guy for the Wolves and I believe he subbed for Calvin a few times last year.

I think Hubie and Walton are great observers of the game, and therefore, are great to listen to.

The Seattle announcers are pretty annoying. The PBP guy there is way too enthusiastic, plus he is in love with the moniker "Space Cowboy".

7. red

red Contributing Member

in my younger years i disliked murphy and walton. As I grow older they are becoming my two favorites.

Frazier from the knicks suck.
    Seattle announcers are not bad but not really exciting.

8. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Spurz Homerz.

9. adrian

adrian Member

I love Bill Walton and think he's the best in the business, I enjoyed the Rockets-Pacers games so much thet I would prefer to stay home and listen to him call a game than attend it in person. I think we should all be greatful that Calvin Murphy is so excellent on the Rockets games. Oh and Tom Tolbert sucks.

Adrian

10. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

He's the man

11. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

The guy from the Celtics (Tommy whoever) is a total disgrace. Like moomoo says, he is the biggest homer ever, and says nothing constructive about the actual game itself. Listening to him makes me want to hurt myself as well. He is by far the worst announcer ever.

12. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

The Spurs Announcers are the worst announcers in history. According to them, the Spurs never foul anyone, have the 12 best players in the NBA, the best coach in NBA history, and so on. Not just homers, but whatever level is even more homer-ish than that -- worshippers I suppose . . .

13. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

By far it is the Jazz announcer. He is just plain, and terrible.

The spurs announcers come in a close second.

Every play, they are crying for a foul on Offense, and crying about the fouls called on them.

14. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

There may be some that are more boring, some that are more bias, some with less knowledge of the game, but comment-for-comment.....it belongs to the Boston commentators.

Then it's Ainge.

On a side note, I guess ESPN received enough email/letters to change out Tim H. with Greg A.
    :D

15. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Whereas I agree that the Spurs announcers are bad, Calvin Murphy isn't really that funny to me and rarely provides good insight into the game. I know people love him here in Houston, but I just don't see it.

I do remember during 96-97 season hearing Bill Walton say that the Bulls needed to make a "major move" (as in trade) if they wanted to make another run at the title.

This was right in the middle of their second three-peat and will go down as one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

16. coolpet

coolpet Member

Paul Sandler! that is guy is BORING! he made me lost interest in LAKERS! I miss chick! :(

17. pchan

pchan Member

I don't like when the Jazz guy says stockton"yo yo" the ball... and then he also says the players are doing "volleyball"... why can't he just stay with basketball to describe basketball?
    but i think he is the play by play guy.

I can't really think of a commentator whom I don't like... cuz I have no memory for them.

anyway, the t-wolves guy mychal thompson is pretty cool, he is my second favorite after calvin murphy.

18. moomoo

moomoo Member

oh yeah, and then there's that guy for the Kings (i think?) who always says, over and over again, after every good play by the Kings (isn't the Kings?),

"Now if you don't like that, then you don't like basketball!!"

after every freeking play!

[​IMG]

19. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

T-Wolves commentator. I dunno his name, but he was spouting racists comments during that one T-Wolves loss the Rox had fairly recently, and kept making annoying references like "Garnett just shattered the Great Wall Of China!" I wish I could remember other comments that he said, but I just had to mute the second half of the game just from growing tired of hearing the guy's stupid comments. He said far worse stuff then the example above. I'm not of Chinese descent, but even I was offended by what he was saying.

Walton used to annoy me, but I've learned to realize alot of his comments are sarcastic and are for comedy relief. He's an intelligent basketball player, that's ever so good at acting like a doofus. He reminds me of a Bill Cosby skit where he said fathers are smart because they act dumb so they don't have to fix things around the house, do chores, make breakfast for the kids, etc. I liken Walton much the same way as that one skit.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

nationally john thompson sucks, and i can sorta tolerate ainge.

hubie brown, thank you for leaving the booth. now i never have to hear you tell a team down 7 with 15 seconds left to go for the quick two instead of the 3. they invented the damn line for a reason hubie. plus he was old and not particularly funny or smooth with the delivery i thought.

spurs (although i haven't heard them this season) for their homerism and ref complaining. actually on sportscenter after we beat them this year, they were showing a highlight and you could hear the spurs' announcer (i guess joel meyers) in the background and we caught it and made a move to the basket and he said something like "francis gets it, got away with a travel, and makes it and is fouled." throwing in the "got away with a travel" in the middle of the play by play annoyed me a lot. if you're showing the replay and you wanna say it or say it after the play, that's perfectly fine, but to bring up your little complaints midplay seems somehow immature. i mean i complain about the refs all the damn time but i don't like announcers who do that much (unless the lakers are playing) and to throw in your own ref commentary midplay is somehow bad. also the whole jesus parker episode speaks for itself.

indiana announcers - seemed very boring when i was watching our first game of the season, although i did wake up from a nap before watching them so that may have affected me

some announcers i like are the denver and toronto guys, seemed very impartial (toronto guys practically sounded like they were rooting for us at times) and enjoyable. walton is great and even though i hated tolbert last year on the nbc halftime show, i love him as an announcer.