1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by B, Dec 6, 2004.

1. B

B Contributing Member

I have two human characters on the Molygas (don't remember the exact name) server, but it is a normal server, not PVP. The character I use most there is a Paladin, name GKar.

B

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I'll be reading up on this later tonight when I get home. I'm leaning against PVP for the moment although I'm not definite about that. That just sounds like one big fragfest against one another. Not sure how "normal" and "RPG" mode are different... can't wait to get home and figure some of this crap out. Damn work. :)

3. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

PVP is simply the best. Yes, you get ganked, but that's the point of PVP. Once you reach level 60, the only thing left to do in the game is to kill other level 60 players. In the other server types, you're effectively finished with the game at level 60. Why curtail your gaming experience? Why go anywhere BUT a PVP server?

Oh, BTW, Hillsbrad Foothills = Super Happy Fun Fun Melee Zone. There's a Horde and Alliance town literally across the road from each other. Makes for constant PVP raids. Hit and fade. Hit and fade.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's not curtailing to me. If one-on-one battles is strictly what I was after, I'd go pick up a first person shooter or action game... I'm more into it for the RPG/fantasy aspects of the game with some battles mixed in. Who knows... maybe I'll change my mind after playing for a bit.

5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

DoD, if you end up liking WoW then keep your eyes out for Guild Wars. It will be a MMORPG (designed by several ex-blizzard employees) but will not have a monthly fee. You buy the game and play for free. They will have expansion sreleased every few months that will cost extra but you will nto be required to buy them to continue playing the game.

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

do you have to pay after you bought the game, to play the game online?

7. B

B Contributing Member

Yes, servers to run MMORPGs are very expensive.

B

8. VesceySux

Guild Wars is sweet. Beta is/was fun.

As I told B the other day, Cosmos (interface UI) is your friend. Link

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, I decided on Burning Blade... I'm a Tauren Shaman. Wimpy Level 5 at the moment. :)

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

What are the recommended spec's for running this game?

11. VesceySux

DoD, what's your character's name? If I run across any good leather armor I can't use (or weapon), I'll mail it your way. (Or BHunter's way, though I don't know if he wears leather.)

BTW, I took up fishing last night. Pretty fun. I'm already up to journeyman level.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

My char's name is Telegan. I have to figure out how to trade now... hehe. I joined a group of 2 other guys to help kill some baddies and retrieve that enemy guy's head as a quest. Afterwards one of them wanted to trade, but I was clueless how to... can't be all that difficult. :D

13. Lar

Lar Contributing Member

To trade--either right-click on the character himself when you're standing next to him, or if you're in a group, you can alternately right-click on his portrait. This should give you a menu which has the "trade" option. Select this by clicking.

The trade window itself is split into your half and his half. Drag what you want to trade into your half (and type in any monetary value you're pitching in in the appropriate place, if appropriate). Once he's put in what he's trading (if it's not a one-sided trade), click "Accept" and your half will light up green. Once both sides have done this, the trade will occur.

14. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok you guys have convinced me. I'll probably pick this up for the Christmas holidays next week. I can mix in some Playing time with som eplaying time for Battle for Middle Earth(which is a very badass game).

15. VesceySux

DoD, you can also use the mail system to trade as well. You can find mailboxes in front of every inn in every town.

Also, good choice on the Shaman route. People whine that they're overpowered, but they're really not. The reality is, they're decent for everything, including tanking, healing, and PvP, but not great at any one thing. Once you hit 20, Ghost Wolf kicks major ass, as the ability to move around 40% faster comes in handy (especially when running from enemies).

Castor, once you start WoW, you'll quickly forget about any other game, including Battle for Middle Earth. Consider yourself warned.

... Oh, and for those of you still on the fence, Gamespot recently gave the game a 9.5 rating. That's almost unheard of.

16. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

It's calling me...I don't think I can fight off WoW anymore.

I'll have to go the game card route, though: I don't want to put it on my credit card.

And I was thinking about being a Tehran (or however it's spelled) Shaman...but the guild I would join already has enough Shamans. What other cool classes do you guys recommend?

I'm considering an Undead Mage, since those are scarce in the guild.

17. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

As chance would have it (well a Best Buy gift card), I am going to get the game tonight. Does anyone know a fansite where I can find out about the different character classes. Blizzard is blocked at work so I have to be creative to find the info.

18. VesceySux

The sites to know:

World of Warcraft Official Site
    Thottbot
    Allakhazam

The forums are at the official site. Thottbot and Allakhazam are awesome for finding out info on professions, weapons, armor, and quests. I always leave Thottbot up during play to figure out how to finish a quest (and where I need to go). Sure, it won't help you finish the dull "kill X amount of enemy Y in area Z" quests, but it'll at least tell you WHERE to go, which is usually 75% of the battle.

19. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

20. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok after reading through a couple of sites, I have a few questions.

1) Is there still any lag/que problems? (this info was from early December, so I don't know if there are any concerns with it anymore)
    2) Is there a limit to the number of secondary skills you can acquire (Can I fish, cook and be an engineer)?