1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woody Williams available

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bottlerocket, Nov 20, 2004.

1. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Dunno if it has been posted or suggested.

Would the Astros be interested in Woody Williams?
    St. Louis didn't pick up his option so he is free to sign w/ anybody.
    He is from Houston played college ball at UH and might give the Astros a hometown discount (which they always depend on).He gets a chance to play in front of his family, hometown, and he only a couple years left to his career so why no finish it where it began, Houston.

Astros get a decent pitcher that is somewhat durable with playoff & WS experience, more fan intrest b/c of having another local on the team, & at a bargain price.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind having him.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I could really see him coming here for a discounted salary. He's nearing the end of his career and this may be the last contract he signs. I bet he'd love to be part of the hometown trio that leads their team to their first world series. :)

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

His 1 hitter against us notwithstanding, he didn't look good at all this past year.

If Clemens comes back, then there isn't any room for him in our rotation. I would think he'd want to sign with a team that can guarantee him a starting spot.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Woody Williams isn't a strikeout guy, who relies heavily on his defense. This is fine in St. Louis, where he has a bunch of gold glovers behind him. But should the Astros not resign Beltran(likely), Williams is going to be giving up hits like crazy.

6. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Is this a possible Doug Drabek scenario- decent pitcher nearing the end of his career to return to his home grown roots and pitch a horrible season for a lot of $$$?

7. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Was Drabek from Texas? I didn't remember that.

I thought Drabek pitched several seasons (a few bad ones) for the Astros. Hopefully Woody Williams wouldn't be signed to a big multi-year deal like Drabek and Swindell were back then.

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Swindell and Drabek were both from Texas. Drabek pitched for UH, Swindell for UT.

9. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

You can count on W. Miller get hurt so there is a good chance their will be room.

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Wouldn't be a bad pickup if Clemens retires. Backe and Hernendez at the end of the rotation does not get me too excited. Williams would be a nice #4 for the Stros.

Oswalt
    Andy P.
    Miller
    Williams
    Backe

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Backe doesn't get you excited??!?

He's the anti-redding... a guy with good stuff, AND he's mentally tough.

Plus, he's got something intangible... can't put my finger on it, but its there.

I honestly think Backe will be a huge fan favorite for years to come.

12. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

If he's cheap, maybe not a bad idea. But he's not a kid either -- if he's asked to be anything more than a #4 starter, it'll be a long year for the Astros.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What is a #4 worth?

Hunsicker tried to sign him before WW went to StL but Cards' offer blew WW away.

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

He pitched 1 or 2 good games in the postseason but I think once teams start to see him enough that reality will set in. I might be wrong though. I would much rather Williams and Backe than Backe and Hernendez.

15. kevwun

kevwun Member

Williams had a serious case of dead arm this year. For a while it looked like his career could be in trouble. With one injury prone starter(Miller), another coming off of elbow surgery(Pettitte) and another still not quite back from elbow surgery(Hernandez), I'd say he's too much of a risk.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

It means alot when u have a team like the Cubs in the same division and they can throw out Prior,Wood,Zambrano, and Clement. Woody would be a perfect #4 if he comes with a realistic salary.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What would it be worth in $$$ to sign a #4...when the budget is finite and will need to allow for the retention of CB or the acquisition of his replacement.

18. SamCassell

I dunno, you tell me xiki. We were 1 - 4 starting either Pete Munro or one of our better pitchers on 3 days rest in the playoffs. Give us a decent 4th starter and I guarantee you we would have been in the world series.

Beltran is very important, of course, but another starting pitcher wouldn't be a bad idea considering we only have one SP on the roster who isn't a question mark going into next season.

19. Hmm

Hmm Member

Only one? Hm.. I understood Miller was questionable due to a contract option or something the like. Roger Clemens is uncertain whether to return or not. Andy Pettite should be ready to pitch next year. So, what's "iffy" about Roy Oswalt?

20. SamCassell

I don't count Pettite, who is coming off major surgery to his throwing arm that cost him half of last season, as a sure thing. Yea, I think he'll be ok, but there's no guarantee til he's back on the mound. O's just fine.