1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woods does well

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Vengeance, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

<a href="http://www.nba.com/bucks/news/summer_010712.html?nav=ArticleList">Bucks Drop Summer League Opener</a>
    ORLANDO, Fla., July 12 -- Minnesota's Loren Woods scored 24 points, blocked six shots and tallied seven of the Timberwolves' final eight points in a 79-76 win over the Bucks in the first day of Orlando Summer Professional League action at the RDV Sports Complex.

Michael Redd scored 19 points and Jason Hart added 17 for the Bucks, who rallied three times from large deficits, only to see the Timberwolves answer back each time. Woods sealed the win with 23.3 seconds to play when he drove from the left baseline, converted a layup and drew a foul from Milwaukee's Jameel Watkins.

"He made big plays when it counted," said Terry Stotts, who is coaching the Bucks summer team, of Woods. "I thought he took the responsibility of scoring when he had the chance, and I thought we were a little soft on him at times. We gave him some things we probably shouldn't have given him."

After trailing by as many as six points in the fourth quarter, the Bucks tied the score at 71-71 on a tip-in by Joel Przybilla at the 3:29 mark of the fourth quarter. Woods then gave Minnesota the lead for good, scoring on consecutive possessions to open up the lead to four.

Previously, the Bucks had overcome an eight-point second-quarter deficit, and rallied again from nine points down to take a one-point lead in the third quarter. After each surge, the Timberwolves responded.

The most telling example occurred at the end of the third quarter, after a Danny Johnson field goal had pulled the Bucks within one, 54-53, with 9.5 seconds to play in the third quarter. The Timberwolves effectively thwarted the Bucks rally, pushing the ball for a William Avery layup with 1.5 seconds. After the basket, the Timberwolves' Martin Rancik stole a Bucks' inbounds pass and scored to give Minnesota a five point lead entering the final quarter.

"The biggest disappointment all night long, is that we would play well, and then in spurts we would give them four to six points. We had three or four of those situations," Stotts said. "I thought, with those exceptions, we competed well and put ourselves in a position to win the game. It's tough when you're not shooting the ball to make a comeback, but we rebounded the ball well, and we didn't give into our frustration."

The Bucks hit only 24-of-72 field goals (33 percent). The team's only hot hand was Johnson, who scored 16 points on 8-of-10 shooting. The Bucks stayed in the game with free throw shooting (26-of-32) and by outrebounding the Timberwolves 38-29.

Cold shooting really conspired against the Bucks in the early going, as Milwaukee hit only two of its first 17 field goal attempts, falling behind by as many as eight in the first quarter, 19-11.

As Milwaukee executed a 10-0 run to take its first lead, 21-19, they benefited from one of the NBA's new rule changes. A three-second call on the Bucks' offensive possession at the 8:12 mark sent players retreating in the other direction until both teams realized the call was a defensive three seconds, resulting in a technical foul, which Redd converted to tie the game at 19-19.

Milwaukee took its first lead two possessions later on a fastbreak layup by Johnson, a free agent from the College of Charleston.

Notes: In his unofficial Bucks debut, Andre Hutson scored two points in 25 minutes ... The Bucks finished 8-1 in summer league play last season, compiling a perfect 3-0 record in the Atlanta Summer Shootout and a 5-1 mark at the Shaw's Pro Summer League in Boston ... The Bucks play host Orlando Friday night at 6:30 p.m ... the Magic squad features reigning Rookie of the Year Mike Miller.

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."