1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Morey aggressive in all deals improving team even possibly Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, May 29, 2019.

1. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Signing CP3 for a super max is just to say Bye for a title.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It definitely was the ultimate gamble to have traded for Paul and then promising/committing a max contract to him thereafter with the hopes that he can be productive for at least half of his extension's duration. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that can be the case.

If I go back and undo anything that Morey did it would have been the CP3 trade, seeing/knowing how well Harrell, Lou and Beverly played the past two seasons. Who knows...maybe he would have let Capela walk, pushing Harrell to become our starting center, freeing up enough cap space to make a legitimate run at free agents.

Then again...undoing Ryan Anderson's contract would have had huge ramifications as well...

BigShasta and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Man i can't wait till ch44 posts something too, the playoffs are still going on and i'm already thirsty as **** about offseason moves etc...

4. tc0330

tc0330 Member

me and you both bro....i been refreshing this got damn page every 2min. I NEED ANSWERS

Vivi likes this.
  5. rockets13champs

Gms are much smarter now. And they’re afraid of Morey. The last few years Morey hasn’t been able to make classic morey moves

Gray_Jay and steddinotayto like this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Why does everyone assume these two things, that Ariza really wanted to re-sign with the Rockets but Morey told him we didn't want him?

The Suns GM and owner called Ariza at 12:01 am and offered him $15M. He accepted on the spot. This is what Trevor himself said happened. He didn't bother listening to a single other offer. Not one. Never called the Rockets to ask if they were willing to match.

As a UFA, Morey was not allowed to make an offer before midnight. But even if he did make one in secret, the Suns still outbid us. Their offer for a 34-year-old coming off a pretty bad playoffs was simply more money than everyone else in the league thought Ariza was worth at this point in his career. The $12M you think we "probably could have got him to sign for" is just a total guess on your part because you assume Trevor wanted to stay in Houston, when there was actually no reason to think he did. Otherwise, he would've have let Morey try to match that $15M or come close; instead he accepted Phoenix's offer immediately.

People keep talking about how we should have re-signed Ariza as if Trevor himself had no say in the matter. He went to the team that was dangling more money in front of him than he ever expected to get at this point in his career. Simple as that.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I really hope people aren't getting their hopes up for big moves happening with a team that has zero assets or cap space. I really hope so.

Vivi and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. steddinotayto

I'd settle for a Capela to the Hawks for #8, create a trade exception of ~ $15 million, trade a future 1st to get Montrezl Harrell back on this team ($6 million deducted from the trade exception), and S&T Brook Lopez to the remaining $9 million, giving Milwaukee a $9 million trade exception (maybe a 2nd rounder) for their troubles.

Lopez
    Harrell
    Tucker
    Harden
    Paul

Gordon

You have Harrell running the PnR with Harden and Lopez drags his defender from the paint to the outside near the 3 point line.

Hakeemtheking and tc0330 like this.
  9. tc0330

tc0330 Member

why not then flip that #8 pick with cp to lakers for kuz and their #4 pick to try to snag rj barret

10. steddinotayto

i guess you could do that too but I was just staying in lines of what @J Sizzle said about not expecting big trades to happen. A small move like this could do wonders for this team, having a legitimate stretch 5 that's not a defensive liability and a high motor rebounding machine at the 4 who can still finish at the rim like Capela.

tc0330 likes this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ariza said Morey told him before free agency that it wasn't gonna happen aka fertita didn't want to pay the tax

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

A rebuilding Hawks team is not going to tie their cap space up in a $20M per year center. I don't see any team really looking to do so, unless they get him on the cheap.

13. steddinotayto

What he brings fits in with their team perfectly. He's young, he complements what John Collins do very well in the front court, and gives Trae Young a safety valve in the PnR game.

Plus, he's not making $20 per. Next year's salary is only $15 million with the last year of his contract at $18, when he's 28. There's no better center out there that's available for the Hawks to acquire/draft that can quicken their rebuilding process.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would call any trades involving the 4th best guy (regular season) of the team a midsized to bigger deal.

Brooke has also quietly become one of the better players on them Bucks.

People were making threads about Capela becoming a borderline Allstar.

steddinotayto likes this.
  15. steddinotayto

lol I'll give you that but at least this isn't dreamcasting about sending CP3 to the Lakers for LeBron or anything of the sort. It's a wee bit easier..maybe more reasonable... to move Capela.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Got a source on that? I've never seen a single story that had Ariza saying that the Rockets told him they didn't want him back. Not one.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am serious....the Lakers are not dumb but they are on the verge of a mental collapse.

I think they are not knocking on the door because they are busy indoors fighting it out.

Rob Pelinka, the Ex Magic...... they are still calling each other liars......it's a Reality TV show.

In the middle aging King James who is also known as someone who is trying to control everything.

steddinotayto likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

I think the sham's story eluded to them being far part as far as $ when they met before he got phx's offer

considering hes been underpaid relative to what he could of gotten if he was a fa while he was here, its not surprising he was tired of playing for 7-8 mil while people he was better than were getting easily double figures

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

It was confirmed by Ariza - He stated he felt he earned the opportunity to return , He wanted to be here and that Morey told him it wasn't happening.

I don't know where to find the quote …. but that's the gist of it.

The only reason it didn't happen was because of the tax issue. The more I think about it and the more we analyze the subsequent moves , the more I believe Morey was hard capped by Tilman under the tax line. None of those decisions were "Morey like" , giving away assets to save a few dollars and limiting himself going forward so severely.

slothy420, joshuaao and Mr. Clutch like this.
  20. Sanity2disChaos

Woe to you with the insults!! What can I expect with a name like “YOLO”!!

The truth hurts!! I know!!!

But you still are wrong kid.