1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Morey aggressive in all deals improving team even possibly Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, May 29, 2019.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If you understand how salary cap works it definitely would have been a good investment. The Rockets were over the cap and could not pay anyone by letting him go. You can go over the cap to resign your own players. Ariza at 15 million means nothing to any fan. It only hurts Tillman, and he chose not to pay it and let a vital piece of our team walk.

Hence we got stuck with Carmelo Anthony, James Ennis, Gary Clark, James nunnaly and significantly worse team.

Would Ariza have made us better last year? Definitely. Did we have any other good options... No.. so of course we shoulda paid him. Is he worth 15 million to most teams? Absolutely not. But he would have been worth it to us, considering our options and the fact that we were already over the cap.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

There are a lot of teams with capspace this summer--even moreso than last summer--so if we're wanting to change this team for the better, bargain shopping for a decent SF (hoping to get a Luc Mbah Moute in 2017 for the vet min) should come to a full stop this summer.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

did i suggest that? no. they wouldn't want cp3 because it just doesnt make sense for them.

you tried to make a point by comparing simmons and harden as if both players are comparable. They aren't

4. steddinotayto

In hindsight having Ariza is better not having Ariza based on how the team finished. No one would have imagined the injuries that Houston went through that pushed them to the 4th seed (because that's the main reason why we sucked so bad at the beginning of the season; no because we didn't have Ariza). When free agency opened last summer, however, giving Ariza $15 million was an overpay.

5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Agreed... No more role players impersonating starters... I like all of Phoenix's SFs for this team.. Warren is a scorer, Josh Jackson has upside and has tenacity, and Oubre is a stud... I'm not saying it'll be easy to get these guys but I definitely think we need a quality SF starter or at the least a SF with scoring potential..

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I agree. But posted it just the same.

7. steddinotayto

I'd trade CP3 for Otto Porter and Christiano Feliciano right now

The Otto Porter Movement lives!

Rudyc281 and justtxyank like this.
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

OH MY GOD THAT'S JUSTTXYANK'S MUSIC

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No. Why? That is saying AD is better than harden which he’s not. Can AD get to the rim at will? How many players can get to the rim and score at a success rate like harden? Did AD have a 30 point streak or was he in the running for MVP 3 consecutive years? Is he a dynamic scorer like harden?

10. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Chris Paul has a $45,000,000 million PLAYER OPTION 2021-2022 season

Let that sink in

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am reporting now that he will be picking up that option.

D-rock, javal_lon, HoustonCRT and 3 others like this.
  12. htownballa1622

K, so we're going to disagree. Bledsoe pushes us further away from a chip than cp3 in play and what he can net in return imo.

Cp3 plays better and we could go to finals. Bledsoe might have us lose to Utah.

13. steddinotayto

Eric Bledsoe played like ass against Boston and Toronto. I would take Austin Rivers over Bledsoe at this point.

Hakeemtheking and YOLO like this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We went from 7th in defense to 19th because ariza left.

We tried to fill his spot with scrubs and it didn't work.

That's worth $15m imo when a comparable player in our rival got the same amount for three years and he's older

15. steddinotayto

What was the team's defense ranking after the All Star break when all of our players came back from injury? Ariza is a good defender but to give him all of the credit for this team's defense because of what happened at the beginning of the season is a bit much.

Smacktle likes this.
  16. bmd

bmd Member

Ok, it was another person I was responding to who suggested they don't need Paul because they already have Simmons handling the ball. Then you chimed in after I said the situation would be similar to Harden and Paul sharing ball handling duties.

I was not comparing Harden and Simmons as players except for the fact that they are both ball handlers. In the context of comparing how Paul would fit alongside another ball handler, it makes perfect sense. You're acting like in order to make a comparison, every single attribute has to also compare. It doesn't.

The only point I was making is that there is more than enough ball to go around with two facilitators on the court at the same time. And here you are trying to act like I'm comparing Harden and Simmons as basketball players for some reason.

17. tc0330

tc0330 Member

lol for real, you think he's gonna decline 40+ mil at 36? lmao, whoever has cp next even if its us will have him for 3 years. guaranteed.

18. ballgame

ballgame Member

It will be a valuable TRADE CHIP when he does

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

context matters. when this team was fully healthy post AS break, they were 2nd in defense. translate that relative healthy roster without the miserable 11-14 start of the season for obvious reasons, the defensive drop off, if any wouldn't have been that dramatic.

Ariza would of helped sure. but the defense didn't drop off solely based off him if that's what you're really trying to convince yourself to believe.

20. txn

txn Member

Imaging after all these dramas, we trade Clint and Eric Gordon to Lakers For Lebron James.

That's what Tyronn Lue is here for :p