1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Maury is trying to land another "wing"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Yordan, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

$7m takes $5.6M in outgoing salary.

Doable … but would require multiple open roster spots for the team(s) we'd be dealing with.

Nene is $2,564,753 , so are Ryno and GG

Clark & Hartenstein are partially guaranteed - some part of $1,416,852

Really disappointing that they didn't take advantage of the extra $10m they could have taken back along with Westbrook.

Morey should fire Tilman and Son.

2. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Craig and Malik Beasley are rotting on the Nuggets’ bench..hope we can get them tho that team would not help us

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Like I said last year...I really hope y'all aren't getting hyped up about a potential trade for a wing. We are not capable of landing anybody that moves the needle much.

Just hope we get a buyout guy or two. We'll see. Penny-pinching has its downsides.

Jontro, B-Bob, YOLO and 1 other person like this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Would be REALLY surprised if they traded 5.6 million out and took back $7. They are barely at the tax threshold now. I fully expect them to duck it this season. Again. If they go over the tax for a non-star player, heck a bench player, I would be floored.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

"We are fully authorized to go into the tax NEXT season" - Morey for the next 5 seasons

slothy420 likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Minimum players or nothing
    [​IMG]

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

This post didn't age well. Capella has been beasting. He's not going anywhere.

B-Bob and eliefor3 like this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No reason to panic. Here are players we got for almost nothing the last few years either via the veteran's minimum, buyout or from the D-league. Austin, River, Faried, Prince, House, Gerald Green, Nene. I trust that Morey will find someone. I would prefer someone that isn't over the hill like Shumpert or Joe Johnson.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

And Chandler can't play real minutes even if you are delusional enough to think he is better.

ico4498, eliefor3 and VooDooPope like this.
  10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Wouldn't mind my guy Trev back.

The money is an issue, but he fits, and he fits well. Sac Town is in trouble....trouble.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Counterpoint...

Every player you just mentioned, with the exception of Rivers, was absolutely unplayable in the postseason. Sure, we got some guys that filled in against scrub teams in the regular season, but relying on buyout guys as key rotation pieces in the playoffs when it matters gets you beat.

Tilman doesn't value actual depth, and it's going to hurt us in the playoffs.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

He would be the best to target can score and play defense.

13. conquistador#11

Morley has done a good job laying off the wings. Much better physical shape than just 2 seasons ago.

hakeem94, Nook, FrontRunner and 3 others like this.
  14. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

we would love him back, but I see him going to the lakers if bought out...along with Andre Ig....that's our main problem, i'm not sure why they'd choose us over them if ring chasing.... I don't think we'd be able to match trev's salary in a trade either properly....

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Penny-pinching -> Penny Hardaway -> Tim Hardaway Jr -> Luka Doncic!!!

Doncic to Rockets confirmed per @J Sizzle

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

...And that’s great news for Justin James

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This. If the Rockets make a trade, it will be of equal or lesser salary. They are NOT going over the LT for a role player.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

He could easily be a buyout candidate. But if he was.....let's be honest, he would go to the LA Lakers (or maybe the Clippers) before he comes back to Houston.

I don't see the Rockets adding any *marginal talent* that puts them in the Luxury Tax. This is a big issue. Thanks Tilman!

slothy420 and D-rock like this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I pretty much agree with you - Tilman isn't going into the tax.

I was just answering the question of how much it takes to bring back $7m.

If it were up to me and the tax wasn't an issue …. I'd have a lot more to work with right now including Ryno's $20m expiring , Melton and the 1st sent out for Shumpert … not to mention the $10m in salary I could have taken back in the Westbrook deal. Sure , we'd have paid the tax last year but we'd be primed to make a BIG move at some point during this season increasing our chances to win it all in the post GSW dynasty era.

justtxyank and D-rock like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree, hope is not a plan. Cannot hope for a buyout to save us.

Morey needs to be proactive, sign FA and/or trade!