1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Knicks, Rockets re-engage on Carmelo Anthony trade talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Aug 10, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I hope you don't mean a tall center is replaceable.. the Spurs showed us many times over why we needed a big man out there on Aldridge/Gasol. Golden State can get away with "small" guys because their small forward is a legit 7 footer and Cleveland has plenty of size with any pairing of LeBron/Tristan/Love out there. If you're saying Melo > Capela & Anderson, I've gotta disagree.

No Chance likes this.
  2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It's his first year as well as the team's at running the offense and Harden at PG. He's probably handicapped with a third of his handbook hence us not consistently using a lot of the more complex PNR we have all seen his teams previously run.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm excited to see some of the new sets. I hope we use them all year too. No need to hide the offense until playoffs. I prefer getting your plays fine tuned so you're a machine come playoffs.

Deckard and Fyreball like this.
  5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yes but if he is needed to sweeten the deal i don't think we would lose sleep over it. Plus believe in the fact that Morey is 10 steps ahead of the situation.
    What exactly do we need Capella for again? Lob dunks? Big body? Heck if we were discussing Ibaka or even Nene and Eric Gordon.... then I'd be hesitant but a 6'9 center with no range that just jumps in the air for dunks are not hard to find. A championship hungry 6'9 star that can still shoot lights out from almost any spot on the floor does not come by that often. Capella is a fun kid but totally replaceable...

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you honestly think Capela is only 6'9???

He measured 6'11 pre draft, 7'4.5 wingspan, and has a 9'2.5 standing reach. Combine that with good shot blocking instincts, a nice ability to finish the p'n'r, a very soft touch around the hoop, and good quickness up and down the court. He's young, his game is growing rapidly.
    He's really quite good.

Not saying I wouldn't trade him for Carmello, but you're making out like he's chopped liver. He's not. It would be extremely hard to replace him.

7. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

The Rockets just want some of that sweet, delicious Carmela, but the next won't stop singing acapela.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Some of you guys would be terrible gms.

9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I don't even want the guy anymore. Tired of hearing these trade rumors.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify ;)

Vivi likes this.
  11. rockets13champs

Carmela sounds like a women who is 83

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He wasn't 33 years old on any of those Olympic teams. I think people are forgetting how old he is.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

How do you know that? We just got CP3 with a late 1st round pick being the most valuable asset included. You have no idea who will hit the trade market in 2020 and what the best trade offers that team would get will be. That's why maintaining assets is so important.

And the Knicks are likely going to cave anyway. Again, I have zero issue with including Hartenstein, Onuaku or even Zhou Qi because we're in win now mode, but giving up a 1st round pick in 2020 seems foolish and short sighted to me.

D-rock likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The worst part of the cp3 deal is that people will act like it was a real trade in these threads.

photojoe likes this.
  15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

You completely missed the point even though your post completely reinforces my point. A low first round pick rarely turns into a star. One is lucky if it even turns into a starter level player. Like you mentioned, our most valuable asset in that trade was Bev. Beverley is far inferior to CP3 as far as talent goes and he is considered the upper end of talent out of that draft position. Just as Bev (a better case scenario) is much worse than CP3, our 2020 pick projects to be comparable in talent and significantly inferior to an established high end talent like Melo. Now is it possible that the 2020 pick turns into someone like Kwahi? Well of course it is, but that is the absolute best case scenario. What a lot of people who throw crap like that around fail to consider however is that for ever rare exception there are hundreds more that simply "bust" out. There is a reason why teams trying to win now value their picks far less than teams trying to climb back up. We don't need players that we have to try to groom into role players or supporting starters; we need players to win now.

D-rock likes this.
  16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

LOL, that's funny

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The CP3 "trade" shouldn't be used to evaluate any potential trades. That wasn't really a trade. He decided to sign here as a free agent and we had to trade for basically his bird rights and our right to use the MLE.

photojoe likes this.
  18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I didn't offer that up as a comparison, someone else did. I was just stating that his argument supports what I have been saying the entire time, that a late first round 2020 pick offers us considerably less talent than what Melo can provide us with now.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

True, but it's not like his game is based on crazy athleticism. I can see him having an impact for another 3 or 4 years.

D-rock likes this.
  20. ab0_bleedred

ab0_bleedred Member