1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Houston seeking available point guards

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BMoney, Oct 20, 2017.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

even they're not that clueless

2. basketballholic

If we can't trade for Mason or Tyus then go get Aaron Craft.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i've grown weary trying to understand the logic behind morey's disdain for the backup PG position. right now i doubt he goes and gets anyone.

and 3-5 weeks for a knee bruise also makes no sense either. the fact that our broadcast crew was hush hush about any details last nite does make it seem more likely there is something actually something going on structurally as well.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Why are you being obtuse? For the last time: Zhou Qi brings dollars to this team. Dollars that can go towards paying others or luxury tax. That is clear and you would be fired if you didn't take advantage of that. They should not cut him under any circumstances. This is besides the fact that he has NBA skills - shotblocking and shooting. Being slow and unathletic does not mean you can not make it in the NBA. Also, he is young and can develop. It's laughable to think we would cut a rookie for the reasons you list.

Bobby Brown does nothing. He is 30+. The coach and GM do not see him as worthy of any NBA minutes after over a decade of development. He is here because of Harden. He can be here for Harden without being on the roster. I have nothing against him. In fact I've been saying he should get minutes rather than us going out and signing a PG. But if the coach and GM see him as so worthless that he can not be a 3rd string NBA player - WHICH IS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT THEY THINK OF QI - then they should work something out and evacuate that roster spot. We can develop someone just like we're developing Qi.

5. basketballholic

I don't quite understand it either. I don't feel that Morey has disdain for backup pg. I just don't think he values any of the available guys as being able to make a bigger difference than anybody else, including Demetrius.

As you know I was beating the drum for Mason in the draft. I really wanted him and Bell. I thought both guys were perfect fits for us.

Personally, I think we've lost something in talent evaluation since we lost Hinkie. Just my opinion however. Have no proof other than questioning draft picks and draft trades.

When I see guys like Mason and Bell that I know are ready to contribute that we could draft and sign for 4 years dirt cheap I see extreme value, not only in their play but also in that roster and trade flexibility it gives us because we've got rotation players that are costing a minuscule amount of cap space.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

well why has he waited till this week to start sifting thru what's available? going back at least a month many here have been pointing out that between CP3 & EGO we are inevitably going to have injuries and need a competent PG as insurance......this isn't frickin rocket science (pun intended) and morey's coming off like the stereotypical MIT quant genius lacking a shred of common sense

7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Eric Bledsoe wants out of Phoenix. Suns forced him to sit out games last year so they could tank and this year they want him to play to lose so they don't get blown out by 30 every game.

If Morey somehow pulls this off, start Tucker at 4 (btw Tucker's contract is an absolute steal at 7.5per) Bledsoe is a really good defender when healthy and can playmake too. Also, Bledsoe and Gordon are friends.

#247 RocketsFido, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  8. basketballholic

I don't think he's serious now. I think they're just doing due diligence. And the reason? Multifold possibilities.

1. Salary cap. For the moment he's trying to dodge the luxury tax.

2. What difference making player is going to sign a non-guaranteed deal that pretty much guarantees we're gonna cut them in 30 days as soon as Paul is healthy? No player worth two cents is going to do that. The vets want a real opportunity. And teams already know who they are. They don't need the exposure. The only guys that will take a deal like that are unproven opportunists. Even guys in Europe are not going to want to walk away from their team for a 30-day look that costs them their guaranteed Euro deal.

3. He's entertaining MDA with no intention of bringing anybody in. MDA obviously wants somebody else and doesn't want to play Brown. Morey doesn't want to get a rift going with coach. So he's pretending to try Rudi find somebody while doing due diligence.

4. He's trying to force MDA to play Brown while playing nice that they're really trying to get somebody.

:::::::::::::::::::

The reason I don't feel Morey is really serious about finding somebody is we've already passed on multiple guys. We obviously didn't offer Jameer mute than a 30-day guarantee. Because if we had offered anything close to the Pels he would've chosen to come here.

We also could've easily traded for Kay Felder before he was waived. Didn't do that. We could've drafted Mason. Didn't do that. And guys like Beno are sitting around waiting for a call, any call. And we ain't bringing them in. Pierre Jackson is another fourth guard that we didn't pick up over the summer. Canaan, Brooks.......I mean how many I gotta name? Can Payne needs a new home. I'd bet they'd take a look at Nanu to get rid of Payne. Greivis? CJ Watson? You mean none of these guys can help? Watson would be a great fit here as a fourth guard.

Morey ain't signing anybody because Morey don't want to sign anybody. I think the truth is somewhere in the list I gave you.

9. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

i don't know about another dominant PG though, just too redundant especially when cp3 is healthy again. just need a solid backup PG

s3ts likes this.
  10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Morey won’t do anything. Every offseason there are plenty of older guys who’d be perfect in case of injuries and occasional minutes, but somehow we never sign one. I’m not sure if Terry counts because he was actually signed as a backup, not a 3rd stringer.

11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Morey will pull the trigger only if he knows we have a high chance at reaching finals. As constructed, he knows we're not getting past the WCF in the post-season.

He's probably going to make some bobble-heads and ipad presentations to recruit Lebron next summer.

12. amaru

amaru Member

Don’t see how Bledsoe helps

arabrocket and mockster like this.
  13. hakeemthagreat

Lol. So in other words you know Qi sucks, and the ONLY reason he's on the team because that asia $$$? We agree then. If you scroll up i said this already. My point is if we wanna win ballgames Qi should not have a roster spot, just like Brown.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so then basically he doesn't really intend to put together a contending roster this season, it's always about kicking the can down the road.

15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I haven't read this whole thread; I've barely skimmed the last few pages. I'm sure someone has raised this but there is an inherent issue in attracting a decent backup PG which is that he'd only ever see minutes when Harden and/or Paul were injured and unable to play. And if either is out for a long time, that's quite bad for our chances at advancing in the playoffs. So a guy coming here to be the 4th guy in our 3 man guard rotation would have to actually root for injuries to all-stars (thereby rooting for team failure) or he doesn't get minutes. It doesn't make any sense for a decent guard to come here. He would only get minutes if our team was in real trouble. Once Paul recovers he'd be benched. What decent PG would want to enter into that situation?

Deuce, DonKnock, KlutchQT and 5 others like this.
  16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Also, from the Rockets POV- they have to think about the luxury and repeater taxes.

DonKnock likes this.
  17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Bledsoe is talented, but he will want to be the "man" wherever he goes. It's not just the mess in the desert. EB wanted to be the man in LA, and it won;t stop.

He's a great competitor and does a lot for the community, but he's not the player that takes a team over the top, especially at his salary.

Also, good riddance, Earl Watson.

Dan is smiling somewhere...I might be, too.

JoeBarelyCares, DonKnock and BigMaloe like this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Uh, no, that's not what I said in other words. Go back and read.

Williamson likes this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Don't need one. Demetrius Jackson is the next Lowery.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Always worth exploring though. Could get him for an irrelevant piece and use him as an enticing trade piece in a package later. Or worst case scenario Chris Paul's knee explodes and he walks to play for vet min with LeBron next season.