1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WNBA: Shocking the world.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Uprising, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Shocking the world. From first to worst. Detroit has just won the WNBA championship.

I don't watch the WNBA, but no matter what sport it is, I love to see LA lose!!!;)

2. houstoncart

houstoncart Member

Congrats on beating LA, they played a dirty game, and lost!!!

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Good.

I think?

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I ammm sooo late.

I just realized it was the Detroit Shock.

the DETROIT Shock.

Time to flip over cars, and burn things.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

LOL....yeah. Atleast LA lost. I don't follow the WNBA so I really don't know what was going on....i didnt know it was the finals until they said the shock have just won the WNBA FINALS!!! Worst to first....blah blah....;)

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Hahaha, i went to read the article.

Cheryl Ford is a player on the Detroit Shock.

Remember her?

Her dad is our friend, the Mailman, Karl Malone.

Basically, Karl's daughter has a championship ring, where as he doesnt.

:D :D :D :( ;) ;) :p

7. Timing

Timing Member

That is sweet. I knew Deanna Nolan was a player, she just needed a coach to bring it out of her. Thank goodness we won't have to listen to those morons from LA bragging about how great they are all offseason. Nice to see Leslie get smoked by Ruth Riley, that's classic. They have no shame and no respect. Congrats to the Shock!

8. houstoncart

houstoncart Member

Game 3 of 2003 WNBA Finals between the Los Angeles Sparks and the Detroit Shock provided the stage for a sellout crowd of 22,076 at the Palace of Auburn Hills in Auburn Hills, Michigan.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

This was the second time a Detroit team has kept a Los Angeles team from three-peating.

10. tigereye

tigereye Member

I'm happy the Shock won..............Cuz the Sparks are still stuck at No. 2.

For a while I was worried. The Sparks were actaully giving the Comets 4 titles a challange. I was afaraid they would pass up the Comets in the title race. But thanks to Detroit that has been postponed.........

Last year.........LA, city of Champions with Lakers and Sparks.

This Year..........LA, city of CHUMPS!!!!!:D

And one more thing.........I see Cheryl Ford has learned a thing or two from ole Daddy Mailman.

I just wished she would have thrown one of those nasty "Mailman-esque" elbows on Lisa Leslie and knock the livin **** out of that BEEYATCH!
    :D

11. houstoncart

houstoncart Member

``This is probably the most-physical game that I've ever played in my life,'' Leslie said. ``I guess this is where our game is going.''
    Look who's talking....

12. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I laughed at that comment...

Lisa was pouting that someone actually played her as hard as she plays others.

13. DavidS

Tiger...

I thought that LA would win this one. But I didn't think they would win the 4th or 5th?

Why?

Because, giving how good the Comets were, the hardest titles to win where the 2nd and the 4th.

The 2nd, because Phoenix played as though they thought they could win. They believed.

It took us an overtime to beat them. The 4th ring was hard because of one thing...complacence.

And that's the reason that the Lakers lost last year. Complacency. Usually the *other* team wants it more. But we still won the 4th. Incredible!

The 1st and 3rd were easy. We walked on the court and all the other teams were scared of us.

Those were "easy" comparably. Seems like the Sparks ran into a team that "wanted it more" a year early.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Good game. Thankful LA didn't get three.

15. Houstonrocketss

Amazing how some guys have huge egos and cannot admit that was a good game the shock played...that final shot was amazing.

16. DavidS

"Some Guys?"

Who? The coach?

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I'm glad because Lisa Leslie is a *****.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Man, Jay Mohr was hilarious hosting for Jim Rome yesterday. He was making fun of the fact that Karl Malone's daughter got a ring before he did.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The LA Sparks are the TWO TIME WNBA Champions.........................

and thats all folks! Even with all the dealing and even with all the great players they are nothing compared to the Houston Comets THE FOUR TIME WNBA Champions.

20. Houstonrocketss

Game 3 most-watched WNBA game on ESPN2

.c The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - The Detroit Shock's victory over the Los Angeles Sparks in Game 3 of the WNBA Finals on Tuesday night produced the highest overnight rating ever for one of the league's games on ESPN2.

The 0.81 rating for Detroit's 83-78 win was almost double the previous high of 0.44, set on Aug. 27, 2001, when Los Angeles beat Sacramento 93-62, and tied earlier in this year's playoffs when Detroit defeated Cleveland 76-74. The network has broadcast a total of 55 WNBA games.

Each rating point for the cable network represents about 856,000 households. ESPN2 is carried in about 84.5 million homes - about 2 million less than ESPN.

ESPN2 carried Games 1 and 3 of the finals, receiving an average rating of 0.59.

Game 2 was shown on ABC on Sunday. It received a 1.2 overnight rating. Overnight ratings for the broadcast networks measure the 55 largest TV markets in the United States, covering nearly 70 percent of the country. Each overnight rating point represents about 735,000 TV homes.

The rating is the percentage of all homes with TVs, whether or not they are in use.

This was the first year the games shown by the cable network were aired exclusively on ESPN2. Before that, one game would be shown on ESPN2 and the other, if necessary, on ESPN.