1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wizard's trade value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROXTXIA, May 30, 2001.

Tags:
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Walt might be a less-expensive version of KVH. True, he's not as good; but in the zone defense NBA, his shooting (erratic as it may be) will be at a premium.

Walt also has ties to our "D.C. crew" (Steve, Mooch) and I think is a bud of Webber.

If Webber doesn't come here? New Jersey might revisit trading for Walt, and we might have more interest in KVH.

------------------

2. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Walt used to be the man... No we couldnt get a hand job for him...

Hey Baqui99 -

"Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

I HATE BILL WALTON!!!! I boo him everytime the Clips come to town!

------------------
    Go Rockets!!!
    SS

3. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

damn dude, that's harsh. I thought he was worth as least a dime bag and 2 big macs.

------------------

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

It would be nice if we could get one of Chicago's second round picks for him [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Walt isn't going anywhere simply because the team likes him. He's kinda like Brad Ausmus. You don't miss him until he's gone, but the good news is that Rudy and Francis already understand his value to the team. So I don't expect him to go anywhere for a few years. He's a lock to be on this team for a while.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

6. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

[This message has been edited by LiLStevie3 (edited May 30, 2001).]

7. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

His trade value has pretty much gone down the drain the last few years. I would say that right now, he is worth Wang Zhi-Zhi.

------------------
    "See they pick and pick and pick. Man they picked me to death."
    -Steve Francis on the Utah Jazz

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

can he make good coffee

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

Smegs Mock Draft

9. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Glad to hear it.

------------------
    The Protrolls.com message boards!

Protrolls.com!

And his ghost can be heard as you pass by that billabong: "All I fricking did was steal a bloody little sheep!"

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Walt's value will increase as the season goes on. Look for the rockets to trade him after they are over the cap just before the deadline next season. It will allow them to get something they need for a playoff run and give a rebuilding team cap space.

Also, don't underestimate the vaunted power of the trade exception.

------------------

11. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I know we have a lot of these conversation where we get the world in exchange for Wiz/Cato/etc., but what is the real value of the wizard?

I think what makes him tradeable is his contract. With Carter free next year, quite a few teams want to make a run at him. Walt's contract frees up a sizable chunk next year. What teams would be interested? And what could they offer?

------------------
    "Quote under construction"

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Stuff you could get for Wiz

-Extra Value Meal
    -Nickel of weed
    -Richard Petruska
    -Round Rock Express Tickets
    -1 free rental at Blockbuster
    -$5 off coupon at Supercuts

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

13. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

I think New Jersey was really in the hunt for Walt Williams last year. However, the Rockets really do like the Wiz.

He comes in and makes 3's. He doesn't create like most would want him to but he does play good basketball. Several times Walt was the biggest Rocket on the court, remarkably playing center.

And Rudy constantly had Walt playing the power forward.

With the new Zone defense rules; Walt will be a luxury to have. What makes is an even greater luxury is that he is a free agent next year.

For Walt, I think you can package him with another player or draft picks and trade for a Lafrents. Maybe trade for a Van Horn.

There are a lot of unhappy combination of players and teams out there. All they need is a facilitator to warrant a move.

But I've heard that Lafrents is still a possiblilty. Keep your fingers crossed.

------------------

14. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

If Walts contract ends next year, would'nt it be better to keep him to free up some more money for free agency next year.?

Unless of course, we can use him to move up in the draft.

------------------

15. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Hey I would take Wang, for the limited seconds he received in Dallas, he played very well. I think in his 2nd game, he scored like 12 points and 4 rebounds in about 7 minutes of play or something.

Funny part is the guy sat right in front of me on National Airlines to Las Vegas back on the 15th of May. The day after Dallas was knocked out of the playoffs. I was going to tell him tough luck on the loss, but the only english he knows is, "I like Texas Steak".

------------------