1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Witnessing Something Special (crazy playoff prediction)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ChrisP, Apr 25, 2005.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

I've been around long enough to know better than to do what I'm about to do. But, I can't help it... I have a feeling that we are about to witness something very special.

Many have alluded to it and all of us are hoping for it, but I'm going to come right out and say it...

We ARE seeing 1995 all over again - this team is going all the way.

There, I've done it - "ced" style. Call me crazy (I know you will and I might be), but there is a reason for my madness. I'm aware that we've only played one game in these playoffs and you can't read too much into that, but I'm thinking more about how they've played over the last couple of months than just Saturday.

We all know this: we have a scary 1-2 punch, good outside shooters, playmakers that get others open looks, guys who will keep moving the ball if they don't have an open look, terrific team defense, great confidence and a no-quit attitude.

But that's not enough.

I was inspired by another thread that highlighted Jon Barry's comments to his teammates before the playoffs, in which he said he didn't think this team could win, he knew they could. In that thread, haven made a point about chemistry that got me thinking. Why do I have such confidence in this team? Chemistry is the answer. We've seen that teams with great chemistry can beat teams with great talent.

We waited patiently (sometimes not so patiently) for our last squad to develop that chemistry that would vault them to the next level. It never materialized on the court. This team has done something that boggles the mind. A group of guys that were all on different teams last year has developed the kind of instincts for each other that usually takes years of playing together to develop. This is going to be the difference. This is what makes our offense and defense so effective that, ultimately, who we are playing is not relevant. By that, I don't mean that the opposition is insignificant, but only that we have to play our game and not worry about what the other team is doing.

We won't win all of our games obviously (when our outside shooting goes cold, we will lose a few), but you can lose 12 and still win the NBA championship. All you have to do is win more than you lose, and I think this team is more than capable of doing that.

This team never folds, never blinks - when adversity rears it's ugly head, they look it in the eyes and take a swing. Watch closely Rockets fans - we're in for a great ride.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

3. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

come on man... we're all thinking it, but you should know better than to come out and SAY IT after the first game.... ;)

that is liking talking about a no hitter in the 3rd inning !

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Nice post, ChrisP. I feel the same way.

I'd add that this team has not maximized its potential over the regular season, except when playing against the great teams. They have been utterly schizophrenic, giving up easy games at home and definitely winning tough ones on the road. They are at their best when challenged and every matchup along this road is a come from behind challenge. I doubt we'd even be favored against Denver if they somehow make it past SA.

This feels very much like 95. We have the chemistry, we have the confidence, we have the stars and we have the role players. We even have a deficiency at the 4. The similarities are almost spooky.

To me the question -- not yet answered -- is whether or not Wesley, Sura, James and Barry can be Elie, Horry, Sam and Kenny on a consistent basis. Not to mention Bowen contributing throughout the run like Chucky did. I know it's a little early, but I think we can say with confidence that Deke could finish this offseason even stronger than Chas Jones did way back when.

T-Mac's gonna get his. And Yao damn well better stay on the court enough to make our opponents make a tough choice. But to me the story of this run is the supporting cast. When our role players are hitting shots and making the other guys pay, we win. When they're not, we lose. I've got a very good feeling.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think as long as I keep predicting that they are going get lit up by somebody, they will continue winning.:D

6. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I wonder what JVG would do if he won it all... Walk off the court like nothing happened??:confused: I would hope he could go crazy like the other guys..

#6 Davidoff, Apr 25, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  7. wink2cat

wink2cat Contributing Member

hell yeah he would go crazy... He would attach himself to Dekes leg and parade around the court pumping his fist in joy :)

8. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Welcome to the Machine

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm there.

11. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

i agree...i think if (which we will) beat dallas, we can make it all the way!!!

12. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I have been worrying about our match up with the Pistons.;)

13. Davidoff

[​IMG]

Oh, this year is gonna be great!!!

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Not me, I am more worried about Miami with Shaq, Wade, and Stan.

15. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Wow. I don't know if it's just the euphoria of the Game 1 win lingering, but I was expecting to get smacked around a little bit more for being so bold so early.

Glad to be wrong about that. :D

Batman, I think you're right that whether the role players continue to come up big when their backs are against the wall will be the deciding factor. They've been doing it for some time now, but the playoffs are a crucible and we'll find out what they're made of. I still feel good about that because these guys have proven themselves to be fearless pros.

16. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

"I Believe"

J

17. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

breakdown and start crying on the podium during the post game conference. then mcgrady and yao sitting on each side of him take his hand and start to shed tears of joy with him. then they hire lisa malosky back.

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

"Shut up. We haven't accomplished anything yet."
    ~ Mike James

19. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

oh please not that picture! we LOST that series :(

20. Davidoff

Yeah, but if we could bottle that feeling and sell it there would be nothing greater...

EDIT----BTW, thanks for being a Debbie Downer... you gonna tell us about feline AIDs next??

#20 Davidoff, Apr 25, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2005