1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the Exception of Jordan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Almu, May 3, 2002.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Reggie Miller is the most clutch performer I have ever seen in the NBA. Olajuwon had his moments. But not as many as Reggie. I have never seen Jerry West or the old guys. But you can put Reggie on my team anytime, anyday and anywhere in the universe.

The man is absolutely clutch. Lord knows people know than when Reggie is in the playoffs, the man is a beast.

What do you think? Hall of Fame bound or no?

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

That's not even a debate...

3. Ninja Sauce X

Ninja Sauce X Member

No question, Reggie got grapefruits. He's never EVER been scared to take a shot. I have a tape of a playoff game against the Sixers, in which he hit the game winning three; absolutely stunned the crowd into silence.

Hall of fame? No doubt.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Hit the clutch three and then clutch dunked. Same game. Damn. That's clutch.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Horry is no Reggie, but he is probably the second best clutch performer today. He probably will end up with around 6 rings. Should he be in the hof? :)

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I've always thought his "clutchness" has been overrated. It seems most of his big shots have been 3-pointers. There's not really a lot of pressure on you when taking a three, because statistically you're not supposed to make it. Nobody is going to call you a choker for missing a 3-pointer at the end of a close game when you're closely guarded. That being said, he does seem to hit his fair share of big shots.

I think he's obviously a Hall-of-Famer.

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Rice for Miller :rolleyes:
    Sure would be nice though.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure I would put an "except Jordan" disclaimer on the statement. Obviously, not as good a player as Jordan (or Olajuwon, or several other guys), but, imo, beats the pants off of Jordan in clutchness.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Perhaps, but this assumes that no other player in the league has had the same opportunity. There are always multiple games a yer where each team has the opportunity to hit a late 3 to win the game/send into overtime, yet its hard to think of any other player who has consistently been asked to botht ake that shot and make it. Still, even on an absolute scale, you have to admit that the number of clutch plays he's successfully completed over his career has been great.

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Reggie should be a lock for the HOF.

I'm in a small minority that's not ready to cannonize Reggie for sainthood. I have watched alot of the Pacers over the last month because of the implication to the Toronto pick. I have watched the New Jersey series as well. Reggie may have some major cajones, but he is very capable of throwing up some real bricks, too!

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think Reggie is definitely Clutch and a future HOF but not in the same way Jordan was. Reggie is probably the best at taking the last second shot. Jordan however took over games for long periods of time when his team needed him too. Where as Reggie would make shots the last two minutes of one or two big games, Jordan would do it through out the game, through out the season, and through out the playoffs. Jordan showed up for every big game. I can't remember a time besides this year where Jordan didn't show up for a big game, but I've seen Reggie disappear on several occasions.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

There is no doubt in my mind that Reggie will be in the HOF. He has been the backbone of that Indiana franchise for the last decade...without him, they probably would've been one of those Clipper type teams, that takes forever to build. I believe since '93, Indy has been in the playoffs all but 2 times. One of those, Reggie was injured. The other was last year, when they became an extremely young team.

14. Kormelink3

Kormelink3 Member

Nick Van Exel is right behind Reggie.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Right...and how many game-winning playoff shots has Nick hit in his career? :rolleyes:

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The difference b/t Reggie and MJ, is that MJ has hit big shots to win Finals games. Reggie has hit big shots to win games before the Finals.

I would say that is comparable to the 3 pt shot comparison someone made before.

He's definite HOF material, but I personally don't think he belongs.

He's more consistent than he is a great player. Didn't play much defense, or do anything else but run around picks and shoot.

I could probably name 10 SGs during Reggie's career that I would rather have.

17. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Exactly who I thought of immediately after reading the original post. In my opinion he was the most "clutch" player I've ever seen.

18. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I've seen Reggie hit a lot of game-winning 3's. But I didn't really respect him . . . until that dunk. That's the difference between a guy who sticks with his comfort zone and a guy who's determined to break you one way or another.

19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

How can anybody be arguing Jordan as most clutch ever?? I hated him and wanted him to lose every game he ever played, but he was so clutch it's not even funny. I mean Reggie has had ridiculous moments and everything, but how many buzzer beaters does jordan have throughout his career. he had a couple this year, and probably a few buzzer beaters every single year. he also has that ehlo shot and the 98 game 6 shot and countless others. you could probably count the number of game winning buzzer shots he's missed on one hand. plus, reggie sometimes can't get off his own shot at the end if they switch on the pick correctly, jordan ALWAYS could get off his shot unless it was just an out and out double team at which point he passed to steve kerr. if anything, that is what separates jordan from reggie. don't get me wrong, reggie can shoot a last second shot for the rockets any time he wants. unless jordan is around. i'm too young for larry bird's days, so can't comment on anything other than clips or NBA's greatest games type stuff but he had some amazing clutchness too.

20. Hydra

Hydra Member

usually by tossing the opposing player to the ground a la Byron Russel.