1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windhorst: I don't think Lebron is considering Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 21, 2018.

1. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Morey can absolutely make this all fit, and it has absolutely nothing to do with cap space. Rather matching salaries via a trade. You're right, Ryno isn't going to Cleveland. It will take a third team plus a pick to absorb his contract.

Simply put, if LeBron opts IN he opens himself up to either stay put or a trade to another team thats above the cap. If LeBron opts OUT, he will become a free agent July 1st and be able to sign a max deal with a team with cap space only, officially eliminating Houston from the LeBron sweepstakes. He has until the end of the month to make this decision.

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Lakers wouldn’t have any money to offer mid-tier caliber free agents this offseason because they are under the cap and have no exceptions. Those additions would have to wait until the 2019-2020 season, during which LeBron turns 35. The only players they could add this year would be those bought out during the season, or via trade.

Also, the Spurs aren’t likely trading Kawhi to the Lakers, and I strongly doubt the Wolves would consider trading Butler unless they are out of playoff contention in February. Kemba is possible, but a big 3 of LeBron, George and Kemba isn’t better than Curry, Durant and Thompson. In addition, for this season, the Lakers have no one to match Draymond.

If LeBron goes to the Lakers, he’s effectively punting on winning a championship this year, and would hope he has a team capable of doing so in 2019-2020. With a roster like the Rockets, he would be on the favorite to win the title this year, and future seasons to come. He doesn’t have to hope/wait on acquiring the third star he knows is needed to beat Golden State. Now if the Lakers strike a deal for a third star via trade by June 29, then I agree, LeBron is a lock for LA. Otherwise, I really don’t see it.

BigShasta likes this.
  3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Vince Edwards will wear no.6. I don't think LeBron's coming.

Do WHAT? likes this.
  4. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Things could get interesting if Melo's bought out and quickly decides to join Beard and CP here.

amaru likes this.
  5. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Could. That’s an expensive buyout.

6. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

Lakers or Cavs? Not a good decision, Lebron. Warriors will win championship again next year
    When he is released?

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If OKC does that. I wouldn't mind it.

8. MichaelSpartan

Good riddance. Even if we got Lebron, who's to say we won't be lottery bound in 5-6 years when CP3 gets old? Houston is finally getting a much-deserved good rep for FA's. Though we'd be closer than ever to contending, Lebron would cripple us financially for years to come.

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed route for the Rockets to win the championship. Despite being closer than the majority of the league, the super-team talk is just a shortcut with 50/50 success rate. I daresay the Celtics and the 76ers have a better shot in 1-2 years, though we can beat them both unless Boston is 100% healthy.

I think we should and we will end up going the unexpected path in free agency: finally going after a big, either a stretch 4 or a traditional PF. We didn't have the rep even a year ago, but if we can cross hairs over Lebron, than we can certainly be in the discussion to grab not Paul Millsap (because he got his deal last year), but ideally Aaron Gordon, Dario Saric, hell I'd be content with Kenneth Faried. Judging by the mixed results of Howard/Asik, we could possibly go the Twin Towers way with Nikola Vucevic. It wouldn't be ideal but whatever advantage we can get to somewhat alleviate the luxury tax, the better.

We still need height in addition to firepower off the bench at the 1. That's if we can keep most or all of our wings. We have to exploit the Warriors' green bench, excluding the obvious vets not named Nick Young (who will probably be gone anyway, maybe even to us lol). We can only beat GSW in close games when it matters the most. That's why we need to add someone who grabs boards and picks when we need it.

9. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

We are operating above the cap where cap space doesn't matter, just matching trades. Almost every post on here has opt-in and trade scenarios. Essentially, Cavs lose him for nothing or get something. We send out Ryno, picks, and probably Gordon for LBJ using a 3rd team. We'll know in a week. We are keeping Capela not at the max and Ariza will get his current contract or not play. We have had multiple takers for Anderson's contract but just weren't willing to pay the price before now. Morey had offers before last season and at the trade deadline. No one is paying Ariza $15M and if they were we would use in trade to keep Gordon. Morey was always looking at a 4 way leverage situation with Ryno to allow us to step down trade with other parties to avoid losing the picks. He has one more option to do that in a 4 way but ultimately we are trading him this time and likely to make all of this work will have to use our 19, 21, and 23 #1s. It can work and is worth it. We will know in a week.

We like Gordon in his role but it is rumored he wants out for a chance at a bigger payday next FA. We might still keep him but he may be necessary in a trade and realistically if we were to get LBJ his touches have to come from somewhere. If we keep EGo we will definitely reduce his touches and maybe effectiveness.

10. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Getting LBJ is a guaranteed path to multiple championships and other teams are not standing pat either. LBJ is the ultimate stretch 4. The reason he never coexisted effectively with KLove is because Bosh could play with physicality and flex to the 5 as a rim protector. KLove never had that ability and often had to go to the bench. This is how LBJ cheated in games much like people have criticized Harden. He is a 6'9" 270 pound tank and gets tired but has to carry the load through multiple points in the game and likes to fade off on D. In 5 to 6 years we will be at the end of Harden's run and would be able to reload in FA and the draft. We would be going through a transition anyway. You don't piss away the next 5-6 years of the talent you have worrying about the future.

The big or Twin Towers thing is an antique and doesn't fit and would cripple our team because it would ruin spacing and cut off the paint. This is a horrible idea for the NBA right now. Faried, Howard, and Asik are all trash now because they cannot shoot and defend away from the basket. They are a liability on the court. NOLA was a better team once Cousins went down oddly because he can shoot but his D is terrible at times and he is a turnover machine that clogs the paint. It sounds good in theory and worked in the past because NBA play changes over generations. The league changes in eras based on talent composition. During the 70s through 90s the league was dominated by big men in the interior post. Now there are so very few of those players that the talent is based on versatility and play and shooting on the perimeter. It is a lot easier to find that talent than another Dream. Maybe in a future era it will shift back but for at least the next 10 years don't expect a lot of change. Look at this draft with the big men. If you have a couple more drafts like that where many multiples of these players pan out and are not defensively handicapped you could see that shift. Right now everything is about versatility, efficiency, shooting, and defense. Size isn't as important but you still need an effective rim protector that can also switch and defend out to the perimeter. Capela can do that and Howard and Asik cannot. Skills now are important and the ability to develop more.

MichaelSpartan likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Melo can also disrupt chemistry a little.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You can make a lot of compelling cases for LeBron to join Houston. Much of it on the basketball court. And in a vacuum.

The way I see it, at the end of the day, in LeBron's mind, he will look at LA as "good enough" for a chance to win a title. And do it "his way" as the lead dog, face of the team. Honestly, I am not totally convinced he is ok with sharing the spotlight with Harden in Houston. @basketballholic, that EGO factor I think is real. At the NBA Finals, I started to slightly feel perhaps he would overcome that aspect and it would give Houston a chance. But I think it will be tough to overcome when it is all said and done.

13. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I have no desire to see Melo in a Rockets jersey. He’s an awful player.