1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Williams Sisters Criticized for Education?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dc sports, Sep 28, 2000.

1. dc sports

dc sports Member

What exactly do they owe the sport? They owe it to themselves to work on thier education.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Well, if you look at womens tennis, it just plain sucks. Except for the Williams sisters and Anna it is BORING. Every sport needs its superstars. Thats why people watch, to see if someone can beat them.

As for Anna, she is just easy on the eyes [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think they need to bother with the education at this point in their lives. But, if they want to do it, more power to 'em. Are they not dedicated to the sport? I don't really care. I really like them but they're free to do what they want.

------------------
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary

http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Wouldn't you agree that Kevin Garnett would be "criticized" if he decided to forego part of the NBA season in order to attend college (pretending for the moment that he could bypass his contractual obligations)?

Personally, more power to the Williams sisters. They don't owe tennis anything and should not have to apologize for persuing other interests.

------------------

5. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

Karl Malone went to college and got him some of that education stuff and he talks good american.

If an athlete wants to skip college it's not the public's business.

------------------
    Cuttino Mobley Online

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Personally, I think it's a little silly. They could learn a lot without going to school. Even take correspondence classes.

But it's their life, and they have a LONG time to dominate the tennis circuit.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

7. Steve_Francis_rules

The difference in the Garnett situation is that not only does he have a contract, but he has an entire team depending on him. The Williams sisters play an individual sport where the only person they affect is themselves.

------------------

8. dc sports

dc sports Member

Steve Francis Rules, good point!

Add to it the fact that basketball is a seasonal sport, and tennis is based on individual tournaments. Big deal if they miss a tournament or two. They can pick and choose which ones they want to go to. One has absolutely no effect on the next one.

Francis Fan,

That's the point. They want to go to college -- why should the public tell them they can't?

Bob Finn,

Amen! As the commercial says, Anna K has an outstanding portfolio.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

After Venus won the women's singles gold and the sisters (Venus and Serena) won the doubles gold, the sisters are being criticized for planning to take some time off next tennis season for college. Huh?

The women's tour will get a bit of a break this fall because Venus and Serena plan to return to school and cut back on their tennis schedule. That will raise anew doubts about their dedication to the sport.

They have the talent to dominate for years. But do they have the attention span?

"I don't know," U.S. coach Billie Jean King said. "Do they stay injury-free? And what do they really want for their lives?"

Gimme a break! People constantly complain about players leaving school too soon. They just want to GO!

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member