1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Zion Williamson be the GOAT?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by theimpossibles1, Mar 20, 2019.

?

Could Zion eventually be the GOAT?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Jontro likes this.
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He looks good averaging 20 on 64ts% in 25 min. He looks overweight, but if he gets in the shape this guy is thing to be very good.

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I agree...I think most people do. The question is how good, and for how long (ie, injuries, etc.)? It's one thing to be really good. It's another to be G.O.A.T. But he's certainly off to a very good start...albeit already with an injury.
    He definitely would be a player worth going to see. Maybe even currently ahead of Luka among young players...due to newness factor?

roslolian likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's a given he is gonna be very good though, everybody knows that cuz he averaged like 75% FG in college and they didn't even run any plays for him.

The concern is how long he is gonna be very good, like when Blake Griffin was first going to the NBA the hype for him was unreal as well. ESPN or some other draft site even jokingly called the year he got drafted as the BBG era in the NBA (before Blake Griffin). After he recovered in his 2nd year and started blowing up people were calling him the heir apparent to Tim Duncan. But now look at him, nobody calls him GOAT material lots of people don't even think he is worthy of a max contract, I saw some youtube vids calling him the worst contract in the NBA. You know he is bad when Clutch Fans thinks we should give 100 draft picks for Kevin Love but don't even mention BG. And the crazy thing is he is only 30 yrs old, the same age as Harden and WB. He's only played 10 yrs and he is already considered washed, people are treating him the same as Melo when he should still be in his prime.

That's the danger Zion is in, I think he might actually have a shorter career than BG cuz he is smaller and overweight right now, as he gets older his metabolism will get worse and his hops will decline so his role player potential is definitely worse than Blake's. I think in the long run Ja Morant, RJ Barrett and maybe somebody else from the 2020 draft are gonna outclass Zion in the same way Harden has left Blake Griffin far behind.

buffalobills!!! and hakeem94 like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this was an interest read , very insightful even in case its not gonna become the reality

roslolian likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Bump for the ZOFz.

7. KingCheetah

Zion is a highlight reel, but that leg makes me uncomfortable.

roslolian, BigM and Jontro like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chuck Hayes would absolutely decimate Zion...

roslolian, B-Bob, Jontro and 2 others like this.
  9. Sajan

Sajan Member

So I was at the game yest. Too close for comfort most of the time but it made it entertaining.

First off, Zion is huge and he is huffing and puffing out there. He is too damn big and his movement/running just doesn't seem fluid or natural. I just don't see how he is going to survive 82 games in the NBA for 10 years. I stand by my statement that he is overhyped and injuries will eventually ruin his career unless he leans out big time.

10. KingCheetah

I felt like his leg could explode at any moment.

Sajan likes this.
  11. omgTHEpotential

His running form and the way he walks freaks me out a bit. It really seems like he's just moments away from a serious injury.

Also, it feels like he was quicker and had more hops in college?

roslolian and B-Bob like this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

you got courtside? nice. took any vids?

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

I didn't follow him much and i don't really know if he has a good chance to get injured etc, hopefully not, but looking at him against us yeah, count me in the group that thinks the way he moves doesn't really look...normal?I wouldn't say bad cause i have no basis to say that the way he moves/runs is factually bad, but i never saw a player move like him, it just looks really unnatural.

roslolian and Sajan like this.
  14. Sajan

Sajan Member

Man his shorts don't even fall freely off his waist. it's like he is running around with his thighs rubbing from being so thick.
    it's so weird. like one of those fat middle schoolers.

s3ts and Jontro like this.
  15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

When Zion lands with his legs almost straight I imagine bursts of energy emanating from his knees like on Dragonball Z. The force with which he lands is that palpable to me. He looks bigger than he did in preseason, but I never got this good of a look at him like I did in yesterday's game.

roslolian, marky :), B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fine description.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is Charles Barkley 2.0......

DD

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

21 years old Barkley:

[​IMG]

Sajan likes this.
  19. marky :)

marky :) Member

I just don't see him lasting 82 games for multiple seasons at the way he's built plus his play style. What do you do if you're the pelicans? Do you try to maximize what you have now with Zion for 3-5 seasons and have him play at this weight and playing style? Or do you change his weight/play style to hopefully keep him longer than 5 years?
    For Zion's after bball health, I hope he changes his physique/play style but the way he his built now is what makes him special. I hope he proves me wrong.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe cuz he is up against college kids. In the NBA even the bench warmer getting DnP Cds was an all american.