1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the US Withdraw from Iraq Before the End of Bush's Term?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sishir Chang, May 16, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

There's a lot of back and forth on should we withdraw from Iraq but I'm wondering whether people think we will withdraw before GW Bush's term is up. So laying aside your belief whether we should withdraw before the current Admin. is out of office do you believe that we actually will?

I'm doing this as a poll but please offer reasons why or why not?

2. Sishir Chang

I will kick things off and say no, I don't think that US forces will be out Iraq before Bush's term ends and on Jan 21st, 2009 I predict we will have roughly the same amount of troops in Iraq as we do now. I just don't see the stalemate between the Presidency and the Congress ending and as long as Bush can block and maintain the status quo the troops stay.

I don't agree with this but I'm resigned to that.

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

No, I don't think so. Bush wants to stay the course, and Congress is willing to let him as long as he takes all the blame for it. I haven't seen a desire from leadership in either branch to end the war.

4. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

that depends on what you mean by withdraw. a complete and total withdraw? not a chance. but we should see a decrease in the number of troops, specifically the combat units.

special forces, and the support units will remain for many many years. we've been in kurdistan for what, 20 years? korea for 50? i predict a full withdraw by 2040.

5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

There will be some sort of withdrawal and political resolution.

Troops will remain....as they have throughout the region. But the new administration (Democrat or Republican) will not want this conflict to be front and centre for their tenure.

A changing of the guard is a good time to sweep old messes under the carpet.

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Oh hell no. We're never leaving Iraq. That's why the US military is building 14 permanent bases there. We haven't even started stealing their oil yet.

7. ymc

ymc Member

I don't think we will steal their oil. We are more clever than that.

We will open up their oil processing industry to foreign companies (ie US/UK companies). It is more lucrative to make money by selling services in an exorbitant price than stealing their oil. Not to mention it is more moral to do so. :rolleyes:

8. ymc

ymc Member

At least you should add 20 more years to make it 2060. We are still in Japan and Germany since the 1940s. We won't leave until our economy collapses and we can't afford to have troops over there.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No chance in hell

Rocket River

10. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

We'll still have troops in Iraq on Jan. 21st, 2039.

11. Sishir Chang

A good question and let me clarify. I would mean a major withdrawl of most combat forces. I would imagine the US would still have a presence of advisors, trainers and guards on US installations.

12. Sishir Chang

And we've had forces at every country that has a US embassy or counselate in the Marine guards. I'm talking about in country combat forces. In Germany and Japan our troops aren't involved in combat in the country.

13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

no way he pulls out the troops

there will be always a reason in his mind to keep the troops for another amount of time....

I think the devil got to his heart, he lost it totally

14. Sishir Chang

Does anyone think there is a chance Congress can force him to withdraw? Even if Bush vetoes a withdrawl bill if things get worse could enough Republicans join in an override?

15. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Impeachment is the only way.

16. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

The traitor Pelosi said impeachment is off the table. Nuking Iran though is still on the table.

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

nice :rolleyes:

-----

Petraeus: September Report On Escalation Will Not Say ‘Anything Definitive’

Offering another sign that the administration plans to continue its escalation of the war in Iraq into 2008, U.S. commander Gen. David Petraeus now says that he will not have “anything definitive” to say about the war in his September review.

On April 26, Petraeus told reporters that “in early September” he “would provide an assessment of the situation in Iraq with respect to our mission and offer recommendations on the way ahead.” But in an interview with CNN reporter Jane Arraf for IraqSlogger, Petraeus says, “Come September, I don’t think we’ll have anything definitive in September (although) certainly we’ll have some indicators on the political side in Iraq.”

Other recent signs that Bush is planning a long-term escalation:

– Last week, the Pentagon “notified more than 35,000 soldiers and Marines to be prepared to deploy to Iraq beginning this fall, a move that would allow commanders to maintain the ongoing buildup of troops through the end of the year if needed.” [Link]

– The New York Times reported in late April, “The timelines [that Bush officials] are now discussing suggest that the White House may maintain the increased numbers of American troops in Iraq well into next year.” [Link]

– In early March, the Times reported that Lt. Gen. Raymond Odierno, the day-to-day commander of American forces in Iraq, had recommended in a private memo that Bush’s increased troop levels “be maintained through February 2008.” Odierno also said in January that “even with the additional American troops,” it might take another ‘two or three years’ for American and Iraqi forces to gain the upper hand in the war.” [Link; Link]

http://thinkprogress.org/