1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Stros be able to rebuild while Bags is on the payroll.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Raven, Jul 23, 2004.

1. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Not a big issue with Beltran. I guess I could explain myself a little better. I would rather spend the 15 million on 4 or 5 players. I also referred to a Rodriguez type player, not Rodriguez himself. But, you did get the right Rodriguez!

As for Berkman, I guess I do give him a little more slack. But, he has already signed his deal so we couldn't use his cash to acquire other players unless we trade him.

2. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

That's the thing, how are you going to turn Beltran into one of the best relievers in baseball, another lefthanded reliever, a third baseman that is better than what we have, a catcher that's better than anything we have, and a nasty young closer with wicked stuff, let alone the best slider in baseball?

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Berkman will be getting a new deal this offseason; at least that's the plan.

The 15 million that would be given to Beltran if not used for Beltran won't be used for other players. If we were to resign him without losing any significant payroll other than Jeff Kent, we would approach the 90 million dollar mark in total payroll once you factor in the Berkman, Oswalt and Miller raises.

4. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Good question. That is my wish list.

But, You trade Beltran this season for a combination of players. Mota, take Ausmus+, and minor leaguer!

15 million you save on Beltran and the 1 million difference between Mota's and Ausmus' contract would give you 16 million to play with.

I don't think we would have to give up much to acquire Rhodes. We would have to take on his contract.

That would leave us 13 million. 2.5 million for another FA reliever...(Hawkins contract was close to that)

That leaves you 10.5 plus Ensberg, Redding, Buchholtz?... as trade commodities

5. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Did you read my post at all. I SAID I WOULD RATHER SPEND THAT CASH ELSEWHERE. I DIDN'T SAY DRAYTON WAS GOING TO DO IT!

6. franchise?..NOT

IF Bagwell is hitting well enough to warrant a trade in a week or so AND the team has not put together a winning record by then, (still 14 games out) then 'Stros should pay someone to take him. Or if someone (Yanks) wants Clemens then tag Bagwell onto the deal. Otherwise buy him out next year. Thanks for the memories and let's get on with re-building around Beltran and Berkman. Bagwell is near the point of embarrassing himself after a hall of fame career.

7. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

You want to trade Buchholz? He is rated as one of the top 50 prospects in baseball.

8. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

No, I don't. But, he is not untouchable. I would for the right deal,

9. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Here's the write-up on Buchholz:

Strengths: Buchholz’ signature pitch is a hard curveball he picked up in low Class A in 2001. One scout compared its quality and his feel for it to Josh Beckett’s and Kerry Wood’s, while Phillies assistant general manager Mike Arbuckle said Buchholz’ curve could be one of the five best in the National League within a few years. He throws the bender at 76-79 mph, and can change speeds off it to further befuddle hitters. Buchholz also has a quality fastball that sits in the low 90s, touches 95 mph and has heavy life. He’ll flash an average changeup at times. He has a strong, durable frame that has held up well through 78 starts over the last three seasons. He shows good poise on the mound and never let a lack of run support fluster him at Double-A Reading.

Weaknesses: Buchholz succeeds so easily with his fastball and curve that he hasn’t thrown his changeup much. He needs to use it more often to improve its quality and command. He pitched with bone chips in his elbow in 2003, but the problem resolved itself without surgery. Buchholz doesn’t always trust his natural stuff and will try to overthrow. Then his front shoulder flies open in his delivery and he leaves pitches up in the strike zone. He needs to do a better job of holding baserunners.

I would think Nolan Ryan would help Buchholz with that changeup.

10. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Is he untouchable in your opinion? If he is, then take him out of the equation and what do you think about the rest? Would you keep Beltran for the 15 million? If yes, how would you improve the team?

11. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Would I keep Beltran? Yes. But at the same time, would I trade him to the Dodgers for Edwin Jackson? The answer again, is yes. I would only trade him for the best, otherwise I would take my chances and offer him the money and the team.

In my opinion you don't buyout a player like Bagwell and pressure him into an early retirement. Unless he wants to retire, it would make more sense to buyout a large portion of the contract and move him to the American League for a prospect; maybe the Redsox would have some interest. If they were, I would take Hanley Ramirez in return for Bags, despite already having Everett at short.

Kent may bring a MLB reliever and a developmental prospect, which would make room for Burke.

That's a good start, in my opinion...

12. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Bags will be here, nothing we can do about that. Actually, he would be a great role model. I would do exactly what you said but LA has already said Jackson is untouchable and Kent is not going to waive his no trade clause. But, everything you said makes plenty of sense. I still would prefer using the 15 million on multiple players.

13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

You asked me what I would do, not what Drayton or Gerry will do.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

quick answer is no...With him, we can't, however, he's worth it...maybe not now, but earlier, he was underpaid...Anyway, I think we'll be ok, but won't have the Kent's, Clemens, Bags, Biggio star power...