1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Stros be able to rebuild while Bags is on the payroll.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Raven, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Raven

Raven Member

He's got two or three more years, and he takes up a big chunk of the payroll, so how can the Stros get the proper pieces in place, as long as Bags is on the team.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Only if he retires.

But would you?

DD

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

It'll be a lot harder to rebuild if we are paying him big money and he isn't performing yes... is it possible to rebuild? I gues so, but his huge salary leaves little room for error in other places..

dadakota.. would i retire? no way.. it'd be nice to retire while you are still on the top of your game, but that's a heck of a lot of money. they'd have to buy me out and offer to pay me a pretty big chunk of the money..

bagwell is rich, but I doubt he is so rich that the money left is chump change to him..

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2541511

Richard Justice Q&A

Bagwell's contract fair over the long haul
    By RICHARD JUSTICE
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Question: Do you think the Astros will pressure Jeff Bagwell to retire at the end of the year, much like what the Cardinals did with Mark McGwire, since it is clear the Astros don't believe Bagwell will produce like a $17-million player?

Tyler in Houston

Answer: The Cardinals did not pressure Mark McGwire to retire. His contributions to the franchise were so enormous that they would never have done that. McGwire made the decision himself because of a bad right knee.
    In fact, the Cardinals were not involved in his decision. He notified ESPN and then sent a fax to the Cardinals. He left $30 million on the table.

Jeff Bagwell will not retire. He signed his current contract in good faith. What no one could foresee is that he would get injured. People tend to forget that he was underpaid for several years before signing that five-year, $85-million deal in December 2000.

Yes, he's being paid more than his production warrants, but that's the way these long-term deals occasional work out. Sometimes, teams make out well. Other times, the player does.

He will have $39 million remaining on his contract after this season. If the tables were reversed, you can bet Drayton McLane would not settle for one penny less. Neither should Bagwell.

5. Raven

Raven Member

Now that's a damn good point.

6. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Bagwell deserves it. Like the article said, he was underpaid for a long time. Stop with the griping about Bagwell retiring. After all he's done for this city, ya'll who want him to retire should be ashamed. Let's go Bagwell, you'll always be the man!

7. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Man it it tough to watch Bagwell these days. If it wasn't for his shoulder we wouldn't be having these discussions. We would be talking about contract extension. I hope the can afford to add/ keep talent (i.e. Beltran) around the club.

8. Hmm

Hmm Member

I have a relative question. Is there any possible way we could resign Beltran with Bags on the payroll?

9. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I don't think we should re-sign Beltran. He is very good player but I do not like his lack of hustle. I would rather spend that 15 million on 3 stud relievers, a centerfielder, and a left fielder.

10. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

What, "lack of hustle", are you talking about?

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Mostly when he runs to first and a few occasions chasing down balls in centerfield.

I would like to have him. But, if I could have the our starting pitchers back along with 3 dominant relievers, and a better catcher and third baseman instead, I would trade him.

I would love to see something like this:

Oswalt
    Pettitte
    Clemens
    Miller
    Hernandez

Lidge
    Rodriguez type
    Mota type
    Rhodes type

Build the position players around defense and speed! Give me at least two left-handed sticks. Get rid of Ausmus! I'll go to battle with that type of team any day of the week!

12. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Bigboy, what games are you watching? Running to first? The guy flat out flys, be he's certainly not going exert all of his energy legging out routine ground ball outs; it's not like he's pulling an Albert Belle either. I think you're being hypercritical in this case.

Which Rodriguez are you referring to? Francisco Rodriguez? If so, you are in a deep slumber.

13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

double post

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Felix Rodriguez?

15. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

please explain?

16. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Explain what? Hypercritical?

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Ya!

18. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I already did in that post.

19. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

How's that being hypoctrical? I see him pulling up on close plays that could go in his favor if he ran through the base.

And, explain the deep slumber portion?

20. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Him pulling up is just pure speculation on you part. I've personally seen no reason, what so ever, to believe that he is lollygagging out there, on the paths or in the field. If you are directing criticism I think that specific criticism would be more aptly directed at Berkman, who seems to have his head in the clouds on the paths and in the field.

I think you need to explain more in depth. Which Rodriguez are you talking about?