1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Rockets get a Top 4 Pick This Year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by peleincubus, Jan 13, 2021.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If Harden is traded soon how good or bad is this team at that point? Tucker would probably be gone also. There seems to be a lot of questions that will be answered after these two games.

Personally I would go all in and shed salary and veterans. But with Mr. Landry owner during a pandemic does he want to rebuild right? What an absolute messed up situation all around.

Highlyrated likes this.
  2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The problem is, being really bad isn't as beneficial to winning a top spot as it used to be. They could bottom out and fall short of the top 4 or just miss the playoffs and get a stroke of luck.

But yeah, if they are in the lottery, they really only keep that pick if they get in the top 4.

Highlyrated, JayGoogle and James.B.H like this.
  3. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

So you’re telling me there’s a chance?

F it. I’d roll the dice on that.

Highlyrated likes this.
  4. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

The risk is high. The odds for bottom 3 team to get top 4 pick are identical: 52.1%. I think we're in a good position to fight for bottom 3 at this point (Wizards, Twolves and Pistons are the main competitors). But even if we manage to get to bottom 3 of the league, we still have about 50% of the chance to lose that pick to the Thunders (they'll swap the Heat pick with us). But if we don't tank, we're not going to make the playoffs unless we get a really good return from the Harden's trade. We'll get the Heat pick anyway. I guess it feels less bad getting a 8 - 12th pick swapped than a 5th pick swapped? At this point, I would say go for it. It's a perfect season for tanking. No fans in the arena, won't be competitive for playoffs, no young players that we want to avoid them developing the habit of losing (I think this is overestimated anyway). The only thing is that it's bad for coach Silas, but I guess he'll understand as he's kind of already been through it with the Mavs. If we get a top 4 pick, that's great, if not, so be it, nothing much to lose either.

Highlyrated likes this.
  5. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

Even if they did they'll probably squander it anyway.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It depends on health and what we get for Harden in a trade. This team can still be good.

Highlyrated likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Is Tilman penny pinching with the scouting department too?

Some of these organizations like the Pistons, Wizards, Wolves, and Bulls have been terrible for years and have perfected the art of being sh*tty. They have way more experience in that department.

most likely outcome is that the Rockets finish in the 9-13 range of the lottery and swap with OKC’s pick that they own from the Heat...

8. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

okc will get it, if Houston cannot get into playoff

9. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

Cade Cunningham here we come at #1 pick!

Highlyrated likes this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If Harden. Also Tucker and/or Gordon are gone. Then you’re depending on health from Wall and Cousins. It could be a long season with pins and needles at the end on actually keeping the pick. Good times lol

11. Salvy

Salvy Member

Doubt it, Rockets are just not good enough to get a top 4 pick. I don't think we can fix it....