1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Texans Win Again This Season? Does it matter?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by IROC it, Oct 24, 2002.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I'm just wondering...

sure we'd all like the Texans to win out the rest of the schedule... but since we know that's not good for our draft pick opportunities, and since we know that it won't happen, answer me this...

Will they win again this year? Against who will we have the best shot? And most importantly, since we beat the Pokes, does it matter?

Holler back youngins...

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think our game against the Bengals on Nov. 3rd is our best shot at winning another game. Outside of that, we are not playing too many more weak teams. It is certainly possible that we could have an outstanding game and beat a decent-good team, but not something to count on.

And to answer your other question, since we did beat the Cowboys...no, it doesn't matter if we win another game this season. :D

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

a win against the cowboys and the 1st pick again is enough for me.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I second that..:D

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

We'll probably beat the Bengals and pull one more out this year. I'm going to say the last one against the Titans at home. Final record 3-13.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If that helped us get the #1 or #2 pick, that'd be like having a perfect season. :D

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Have ya'll even watched the games?

I will be stunned if this team doesn't win at least 5, and probably 6, games. This team should've won the last two games, except for a terrible taunting call against Buffalo, and some very uncharacteristic drops from Corey Bradford against Cleveland.

This is not a bad football team. Not anymore. The defense has always been good, and now the offense is definitely showing the ability to move the ball, both through the air and on the ground. The offensive line is still struggling, but even through that, Carr is putting up great numbers, not making mistakes, and Wells is able to run.

I know to win 5 or 6 games this team would have to finish either 4-6 or 5-5. And truthfully, based on the last two and a half games, I would be shocked if they can't do this. Too many of you seem to be judging by the overall record and the scoreboard, instead of looking at the progress made in the actual game.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How was that a terrible taunting call? :confused:

9. Summer Song Giver

All signs point to yes

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the team is getting better...they're dangerous right now, because they're giving good teams a run for their money...playing much more competitively than anyone expected. they've got at least 2 more wins in them, i'd say.

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I picked them to make the playoffs, lol. I was the only one, wasn't I?

12. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Also don't forget that even if the Texans finish with a better record than the Begals, and end up with the #2 pick it's still basically the top pick overall. The reason is because the Bengals need a QB, and will more than likely take Leftwich. The Texans already have thier QB so Leftwich won't even be in their plans. As long as the Texans don't end up with the #3 pick they will be able to take whatever player they want.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We should be sitting at 3-3 right now, not 1-5. The offense is coming together and the defense has been solid. We just need to cut down on the stupid penalties.

I think we can finish the season with 5 wins.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

should be? that's a bit presumptuous for an expansion team, donchya think? we should be grateful that a) they have a win; b) they've been, by and large, competitive. can't ask for much more in the "should" category.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If the Texans can't beat the Bengals, then we've got some problems. I think this team will win at least 4 games, one of those being the Titans...they <i>will</i> beat the Titans at least once.

In the NFL, as long as you don't need a QB, there isn't a whole lot of difference between a #1 and a #3-5 pick. I see no reason for anyone to settle for that win against the Cowboys and be happy with the first pick again.

16. The Cat

Cause you can call it on every play.

How about getting Gary Walker every time he flexes his muscles after a sack? How about the offensive celebrations in the end zone pointing at the other team? How about Brett Favre and Warren Sapp getting in each others faces? There's trash talking every play. I've heard some people say there was a headbutt-- I didn't see it myself, but if there was, there's also a dozen other occasions during the game that you could flag someone for leading with the helmet on a hit, but they don't.

Basically, I thought it was a "statement" flag for something that happens on almost every play. If they want to make a statement, fine-- but do it when it happens in the first quarter (and it does). Don't wait until there's ten minutes left and the game is on the line. That's cheap.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i could have sworn we already went over this? foreman, who was not directly involved in the play, sprinted 10-to-15 yards after the play had finished, cornered price on the texan sideline, butted helmets with him and proceeded to talk trash. that's webster's-like, in terms of taunting, a pre-meditated action that was beyond stupid; something foreman all but said afterwards in his apology.

walker, et al, are instinctively reacting to and celebrating their personal accomplishments, not celebrating the failures of others. fine line, i know, but a definitive difference, nonetheless.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Charles Rodgers is the difference between the #1 and #5 this year. IMOP he is the best player in the draft at any postion. I think he will likely go #2 or at worst #3. The Bengals will screw up again and select Leftwich. Leftwich will be a good player but not #1 worthy. He's more Dante Culpepper than Donavan McNabb.

19. The Cat

We did go over it; I didn't agree.

I don't care what he says in his apology... the NFL basically fines anyone who doesn't kiss the officials ass after every play. That's what rivalries are. You don't think there's other times that players who weren't involved on the play run up and talk trash? I've seen defensive backs talking trash to wide receivers when the quarterback took a sack. To think that it doesn't happen on a regular basis just isn't right.

In this era, it's part of the game. If they want to take it out, I'd love it... but if you give me the tape to that or any other game, I can find you about ten other instances of similar plays that weren't called. Unless you're going to go out and enforce it on every single play, let the players play and decide the game.

20. mav3434

mav3434 Member

let the bengals draft ahead of the Texans so they can get Leftwich or Eli Manning or whoever at QB and the texans can either have their pick of the top wideouts, backs or tackles, or trade down, maybe if they can somehow get two first round picks if anybody has any.