1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will KJ McDaniels ever crack the rotation here in Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glimmertwins, Jan 11, 2017.

1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

he can do all those things as good or better than brewer with time. all brewer has on him is experience and fast breaks. understand his role and playing high stress comes with experience, but i believe he'll be ok in those two. he wont be otu there for more than 10-15mpg.

2. Lightsnowaction

If he does not get his act together, he will be traded for late 1st or a 2nd round pick. Got to make improvement in your 3rd year.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt he'll ever get a chance unless Brewer is traded or gets hurt. Even then, probably not. For whatever reason they don't seem to like him.

4. mightybosstone

After this preseason, I was ready to call KJ the Rockets future starting SF. I told people multiple times that I thought he would take the starting job from Ariza by the season's end and that he would be a stud in D'Antoni's offense. But those flashes of brilliance in the Summer League and preseason just completely disappeared the second the season started. Unless the Rockets endure significant injuries or he takes a huge step forward in his development over the next few months, I'd put his chance of cracking the rotation at slim to none.

napalm06 likes this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

He was on Team Dwight instead of Team Harden... he made the wrong call... maybe next team....

Ramo$e likes this.
  6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I agree that with consistent playing time (maybe 30-35 min+) He would show improvement. Here's the issue: this team is established and obviously has lofty goals this season. With that said, they are not just going to throw a guy out there for 10-15 min to develop him. They have a veteran guy right now in brewer who is still clearly the better fit, and I don't think they would risk the poor play from KJ at the expense of the rest of the team. Unfortunately, that's kind of how it goes across all the major sports. If (on a contending team) you have an erratic youngster with potential vs. a veteran who really knows how to play his game and contribute where he can, the vet will always (and should always) get the PT.

So why are guys like Trez getting PT?

1. Injury at C position.

2. Trez came in and proved that he could make an immediate impact on the team, and continues to improve game by game. On an established team, that is really what you have to do to break the rotation. Also, get lucky due to injury.

I think KJ might need to get dealt to a lesser team to realize his potential TBH.

#46 T for 3, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

I perfer him to get more time than Ennis....

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

well its too late now. have to stick with brewer. but overall he would've been a better option than brewer. 10-15mpg is enough. no need for a sarcastic 30-35mpg crap. a young player being out there in short spurts is usually how their career starts. they make minor improvements throughout the year.

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

KJ is next man up after we trade Brewer and our first round pick for Bogut. He should just sit tight. If we give Brewer his minutes now we will never be able to unload him.

10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I wasn't being sarcastic, I meant that he needs to be on a team where he can play that much. Let's not forget that he was the choice at the start of the year and it clearly didn't work. That's how this whole debate was started.

11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

if that trade happens, which it won't, Sam would take brewers minutes...

12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if you're talking about developing into a good rotation player than yeah they migh tneed more than short spurts. but if you just want to plug a hole and get some production from a bench guy then 10-15mpg is perfect. overtime, they'll make minor improvements at their role which is all u can ask for.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I agree with your overall philosophy. Looking at the bold bit, this is where I think brewer fits better than KJ for this year on this team. I don't think the coaching staff looks at KJ as a polished enough player to come in and contribute for 10-15 min at a time.

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

brewer is more ready for that role only cuz of his experience, not cuz he's more talented. kj will have a rough start cuz he's young but eventually get his role down. its no guarantee kj will be better than brew or even worth a rotation spot, bu he should at least ge ta chance.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Consistently what exactly?

17. juanm34

juanm34 Member

KJ = Brewer light.
    We don't need another Brewer in the rotation. Brewer gives us enough bone headed decisions.
    IMO wiltjer should see the court before KJ.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Runs the floor, decent rim finishing, and decent defensive effort without fouling. He's a pro, been there done that. We don't win against CHA without his 15 pts on 7/10 shooting and 5 rebounds.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I asked what he did consistently. What he did vs CHA he doesnt do consistently. Not even close.

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

KJ, Brewer, & Ennis could be dealt by the deadline if that right deal came along. Hopefully someone thinks he has potential and would be willing to trade something valuable for K.J.