1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wife of Astros Announcer Hamilton Dies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, Feb 21, 2005.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3049491

Wife of Astros announcer Hamilton dies

Passing brings somber mood to spring camp

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

KISSIMMEE, FLA. - For almost 53 years, Arlene Hamilton was the rock behind Milo Hamilton, one of the most famous voices in baseball. She was the Iowa sweethearts' steady hand at home, raising two children as her husband marched through a Hall of Fame broadcasting career.

For more than half a century, Arlene sat quietly in the booth behind Milo, the voice of the Astros since 1985.

For that reason, the mood was somber at the Astros' spring-training facility at Osceola County Stadium on Sunday as players learned Milo's wife had died at 2:30 a.m. at Houston's Methodist Hospital.

"She was the rock," Hamilton said from Houston, fighting off tears between pauses. "With me being gone, she had to raise two kids alone. With all the traveling, with all the moves I made throughout the years, she always was the one that said, 'Let's go.' "

Arlene Hamilton, 73, had been a fixture at events with her husband. Before her health began failing in recent years, she almost always was at Milo's side for home games and the numerous public appearances he made on behalf of the franchise.

"She was positive and loved baseball and loved Milo's role for the Houston Astros," team owner Drayton McLane said from his home in Temple. "She was an important part of the Houston Astros family."

An accomplished silver life master bridge player, Arlene is survived by Milo and their two children, Mark and Patricia Joy of Atlanta.

The viewing will be held Tuesday from 5-9 p.m. at Settegast-Kopf Funeral Home, 3320 Kirby. The funeral service is Wednesday at 11 a.m.

Arlene Hamilton, who recently had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, had a heart attack late Friday night. She also had been fighting pneumonia. The Hamiltons were to celebrate their 53rd wedding anniversary April 6.

"It's almost like the Lord took her so she wouldn't have to go through that dreaded (Alzheimer's) disease," Milo said. "She can't take another hit. She couldn't fight pneumonia and a heart attack in the same night."

Milo Hamilton, 77, found some solace in the fact his two children had flown in from Atlanta on Saturday in time to spend the last few hours with their mother.

Astros manager Phil Garner, who received his nickname "Scrap Iron" from Milo while playing for the Pirates, was especially saddened by the news.

"I've known Arlene for a number of years, and I knew she was having some tough times," Garner said. "I'm saddened by it. It was looking like it was going to be a tough road."

Of the Astros' pitchers and catchers in camp, Brad Ausmus knew the Hamiltons the longest.

"It's been difficult for Milo for quite a while because she had been ill," Ausmus said. "Our wishes go to Milo and all of his family and hope that they will move through this peacefully."

Astros summary

Looking good

Manager Phil Garner was pleased with what he saw Sunday in camp.

"I thought ( Roger) Clemens looked great," he said. "( Andy) Pettitte looked great. Some of the other kids I watched, (lefthander Mark) McLe-
    more, I thought he threw the ball good. Just watching the kids throw, I thought everybody threw the ball good today. ( Chad) Qualls threw the ball good. Pete (Munro) threw the ball good."

Position players aren't expected to report until Wednesday for the first full-squad workout Thursday.

Burba leaving

Righthanded reliever Dave Burba, a non-roster invitee who the Astros hope serves as a quality veteran in the bullpen, will leave camp today or Tuesday to have his right knee examined.

Burba's IT (iliotibial) band, which runs down the side of his knee, had been bothering him since camp started. Burba, 38, has been able to throw off the mound but has been unable to participate in running drills.

"We're going to get it looked at," Burba said. "But it didn't bother me today."

Steers for charity

Astros manager Phil Garner bought a steer at a charity auction at the Silver Spurs Rodeo, spending $4,077 for the animal before also spending to have the meat processed and donated to the Osceola Children's Home. On behalf of the Astros, general manager Tim Purpura bought another steer for $3,640 and donated the meat to the home.

"I'm a sucker for kids that work," Garner said of the children who raised the steer.

Garner sponsored a child's calf for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo for many years. He laments the fact that in recent years he hasn't received the proper paperwork to fill out to continue his support.

Rest In Peace, Mrs. Hamilton.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah...so sorry to hear that. He mentioned her from time to time in his broadcasts. I saw them once at Chili's on 59 near Kirby and she was helping him walk...holding his hand. I can not imagine losing my wife.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

+ Man that is terrible. I hope he'll be ok. Some people can handle something like that, others really can't

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

5. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that, I hope Milo is alright.

7. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I hope Milo gets through this.:(

8. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

+

Man God bless your family and yourself Milo. Your in my prayers...

9. msn

msn Member

Best wishes to Milo.

Excuse the ignorance, but does "+" mean that the poster ranked this thread positively?

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

its supposed to resemble a cross.

amazing...53 years. i wouldnt even know how to begin to understand how milo feels. i hope he will be ok.

11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

WOW....RIP +++

even more of a sad thing since i have become really cool with Milo in the past 2 years since we do the radio show here at Live and he has brought her in a couple times and is such a cool guy.

12. Houstonrocketss

I had the chance to meet her and I was told of this earlier today...such a sad day...but as Milo says shes in a better place...

+

13. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

14. msn

msn Member

Thanks -- I have never seen that.

I have a lot of respect for anyone who honors his marriage covenant for life--53 years! Kudos to you, Milo.