1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why not bring Eric Gordon off the bench?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ElPigto, Oct 30, 2017.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like we miss that spark off the bench. We have practically the same team as last year but the bench has sucked since Paul has been out and Gordon is starting. We really need a legit scorer off the bench. I know it sounds dumb but it's a formula that worked last year. Mbah Boute can start and we can bring Gordon off the bench.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think its dumb.

I've preferred since it was clear Gordon was such a sparkplug off the bench.

I think it backfired of MDA in the playoffs last year also, when he moved Gordon into the starter role against the Spurs because Nene went down (which makes no sense really).

ElPigto likes this.
  3. DJ

DJ Member

Who will start then?

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Mbah Boute. It's not as if we had a prolific scorer next to Harden last year. We had the same issue last season as well when Bev was out. We need the scoring off the bench.

pippendagimp likes this.
  5. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

We need Gordon’s early offense until Cp3 gets back.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Call me crazy but i'd start Troy Williams for few games against lottery teams like Philly, Knicks, Charlotte, give him a chance and see what he can do, how he fits with the main guys etc instead how running to the ground injury prone players like Gordon playing them 35/40 minutes per game after the first two weeks of the season...

Von Rafer, ak99999 and pippendagimp like this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. We need his offense of the bench. Harden can get us the early offense we need. The bench is just not giving us the offensive energy we need and it's making it really difficult to get back into games.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he was actually having a very good floor game tonite. no idea why we sat him and ran ariza the rest of the game. ariza was complete trash on both ends of the floor

ElPigto likes this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely agree. Mike can be really stubborn with his rotations at times. It's not as if Ariza was having a monster game defensively. Mbah could of been just as effective.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It's not dumb at all. When someone is injured on the Spurs, Pop inserts some obscure bench guy so his rotations aren't screwed up. MDA has the same 8 players.. He has a real problem. Why did the Rockets sign Troy at all?

ak99999 likes this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya i posted elsewhere here that ariza still looks hurt. or at least out of shape. simmons was killing him off the dribble all night long. but again, mike being stubborn and playing a tight rotation is something we can all see from 100 miles away. it's something we basically can't change. what we could have easily changed till now though was simply signing a 4th guard. i still cannot believe we've now played 7 nba games with only 2 nba guards on our roster. that is just mindboggling.

ElPigto likes this.
  12. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

Why though? He still runs with the second unit. It is also where he gets most of his points. What are glaring let downs are the way we start halfs. We severely miss iCP3 running that 2nd unit. Once he comes back, we'll be back to blowing away the other teams' bench guys.

heypartner likes this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fwiw: Gordon is both starter and spark plug off the bench

This is what happened tonight, and I believe it is same with the Charlotte game. He missed MEM game:
    Gordon is playing the 1st 6 mins
    Harden plays entire 1st Q

Harden sits to start 2nd Q
    Gordon starts the 2nd Q
    Rinse and repeat for 3rd and 4th

Gordon plays first 6 mins of 3rd
    Harden plays entire 3rd

Harden sits to start the 4th
    Gordon starts the 4th​

J Sizzle likes this.