1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why I am More Excited to Vote for Obama Than Before

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Sep 15, 2012.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

As many of you know I have critiized Obama a lot for not being bold enough or for a lot of his stands on war and peace and civil liberties. However after watching the Democrtic Convention I realize that the party is more than just Obama. I was very impressed by some of the minor speakers-- many of whom just appeared on C-Span, such as the Catholic nun who spoke, Christina the Cuban American "Oprah", Elizabeth Warren, one of the union guys etc. The Democratic Party is where the action is for progressives.

Below is an excerpt from a piece by Tom Hayden that I find very convincing about why white progresives who feel disappointmented about Obama should join the game and vote for Obama.

The threat of a Romney-Ryan regime should be enough to convince a narrow American majority to vote for Barack Obama, including the disappointed rank-and-file of social movements. A widening of economic and racial inequality. Cuts in Medicare and Medicad. More global warming and extreme weather. Strangling of reproductive rights. Unaffordable tuition. The Neo-cons back in the saddle. Two or three more right-wing Supreme Court appointments to come. Romney as Trojan horse for Ryan the stalking horse and future presidential candidate.

The consolidation of right-wing power would put progressives on the defensive, shrinking any organizing space for pressuring for greater innovations in an Obama second term. Where, for example, would progressives be without the Voting Rights Act programs such as Planned Parenthood, or officials like Labor Secretary Hilda Solis or EPA administrator Lisa Jackson?

But the positive case for More Obama and Better Obama should be made as well. History will show that the first term was better than most progressives now think. A second-term voter mandate against wasteful wars, Wall Street extravagance, and austerity for the many, led by elected officials including Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, Barbara Lee, Raul Grijalva, Jim McGovern and Keith Ellison, would be, in the language of the Pentagon, a target-rich field of opportunities.

Why Obama’s achievements are dismissed or denied by many on the white liberal-left is a question worth serious consideration. It may only be a matter of legitimate disappointment after the utopian expectations of 2008

http://tomhayden.com/home/saving-obama-saving-ourselves.html

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Hopefully a couple more liberal SC justices.

That alone should be enough.

3. Major

Major Member

Barring the unexpected, or a long 12-16 year run by one party that forces the issue, I don't see much changing in the SC. The Justices are smart enough to retire when their own party is in charge, so I don't expect to see any conservative justices retiring during an Obama adminstration.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Obama wins now, and Hillary takes 2016 - that's a 12 year run right there.

5. Major

Major Member

Certainly - and it would be interesting to see what happened there. There are only really 2 old justices on either side, and I'm pretty sure Scalia will do everything in his power to survive until a Republican is in office. Not sure as much about Kennedy.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Vote for him or expect another war with libya come Romney time.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's up to those liberal chefs to put some extra butter into Scalia's cannoli.

...Because he's as fat as Rush.

...And he doesn't look like he exercises anything except his mouth.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Not only that, but it would be two historic presidencies in a row.
    First black president followed immediately thereafter by the first female president.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

he's half white half black brah

at least in 2008 Obama could run with his message of hope and change

now that we've seen his results, errr......

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the sense from glynch's post that Hillary would be a dissapointed if she is next in line.

Hillary appears to be the only person I can think of from my limited knowledge who is further right than Obama among the dems. This seems to be a losing battle, granted its a slower loss than electing Romney.

11. ILoveTheRockets

Obama is flat out a disgrace.

<iframe style="border: none" src="http://larouchepac.com/jvideo/23810?size=640x360" width="640" height="360"></iframe>

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You are delusional.
    You'd even go as far as to discredit the man from being the first black president?

13. Raven

Raven Member

And Iran. The neocons are horny for Iran. Big Time.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Half white, half black, and full Muslim.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Many blacks didn't accept Obama as he was a rising politician, since he was raised by whites and frankly had very little in common with African Americans. African Americans and African immigrants don't always get along that well or like each other, in case you weren't aware.

And why should we live by some outdated one drop rule? The man is half white half black

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

How would you have any idea how blacks feel (or felt) about Obama or why?

I'll answer: You don't.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Thats why Alan Keyes won that race.

18. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

My parents and I seemed to get along just fine rontex.

20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Every president deserves criticism but you are way too critical of a guy who has done much more than your now laughable party could ever do under the same circumstances.

The only one that needs hope and change is the far, far right and miserable, intolerant,socially-regressive individuals with your username.