1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why don't Facebook or Reddit or Twitter actually do something about racist ass clowns?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...rlottesville-nathan-blecharczyk-a7893941.html
    While I like to see the white supremacists get what they deserve, I feel conflicted about this. Regardless of how AirBNB intends to screen renters or enforce the rules, this is open discrimination by business against a group of people. Legally, that doesn't feel right.

2. dmoneybangbang

You wouldn't know it because the internet can give groups a larger voice.

Those types of groups just aren't profitable from a google or YouTube point of view, as it is all about ad revenue.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lots of tech companies killing services that help the Alt-right and racist groups communicate.

No Worries likes this.
  4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Leftists on social media sites, viewing pictures of the white supremacist rally on Saturday in Charlottesville, Virginia, decided they would target one participant and make his life a living hell.

They got the wrong man.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/19720/leftists-make-life-hell-man-they-misidentify-white-hank-berrien#

Kyle Quinn, who supervises a laboratory dedicated to wound-healing research at the Engineering Research Center at the University of Arkansas, discovered on Saturday that leftists had misidentified him as one of the white supremacists at the rally 1,000 miles away from where he lived.

One man rallying with the white supremacists had been photographed wearing an “Arkansas Engineering” shirt; leftists found a photograph of Quinn that bore a facial resemblance to the rallygoer, and then they went to work.

Quinn was targeted with vulgar messages on Twitter and Instagram, according to The New York Times. The messages accused him of being a racist, said he should be fired, and worst, posted his home address. Some tweets read “don’t let your kids near him” and “dude doesn’t need to be teaching anywhere” along with his picture. Quinn issued tweets saying that he wasn’t the man in the picture, that he was never in Virginia that weekend, and that he championed diversity at the University of Arkansas.

Quinn and his wife stayed with a colleague over the weekend; he said, “You have celebrities and hundreds of people doing no research online, not checking facts. I’ve dedicated my life to helping all people, trying to improve health care and train the next generation of scientists, and this is potentially throwing a wrench in that.”

Mark Popejoy, an art director in Bentonville, Arkansas, tried to stem the onslaught of Twitter accounts inaccurately identifying Quinn, asserting that the University of Arkansas had confirmed that Mr. Quinn was not involved.

Popejoy said that despite his correcting of the record, some Twitter users refused to give up their pursuit of Quinn.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I gave up on Facebook years ago. Never really used Reddit consistently. And my Twitter is limited to sports reporters.

So I'm not seeing whatever it is that you all are seeing that is upsetting and offensive. It's really easy to avoid it all. I personally have "done something" that prevents these crappy people from coming into my e-life. I don't see a need for these sites to do that vetting for me.

With that said, if those 3 sites started rolling out anti-altright policies... I wouldn't care. They can do whatever they want. If, however, they rolled out altright-only policies I actually would be upset, but primarily because I'd have to find a replacement source for breaking sports news, and I'm only now figuring out how to read Twitter conversations.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Amiga and Astrodome like this.
  7. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

LMFAO @ 'the Eye of Sauron'. Who knew that these tuff-guy racists were really just a bunch of cosplaying Lord of the Rings DORKS? Shocker!

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They're the evolution of the GamerGate losers.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You are right to feel conflicted. What's the legal justification for this, and could it be used to also discriminate against, say, Muslims?

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why don't you tell us what the legal argument against it is first?

If it's prohibited behavior it ought to be upon you to identify the law or laws that are being broken.

And we'll just let the fact that you equate being a muslim with being a neo-nazi slide for another day, because your false neutrality garbage is no longer worth reading,

11. durvasa

Is there a law that would be broken by discriminating against someone for being a registered Republican? I assumed there could be some law against discriminating against someone based on their beliefs or political affiliations, no matter how despicable we consider them to be. I'm mistaken?

I don't equate them, and no I wasn't equating Republicans to Neo-Nazis above either. I was questioning the legal distinction, in terms of legally-sanctioned discrimination. But discrimination against Muslims is covered specifically by the Civil Rights Act which gives protected status to religious beliefs. So that answers that particular question. It was my mistake that this didn't occur to me immediately before I hit submit.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Apparently there isn't anything protecting political affiliation or ideology. But there should be. Anyone who doesn't agree thinks discrimination is okay.

13. durvasa

Yeah, a quick search and I couldn't find anything about that either. That seems problematic. Though I don't recall it being an issue to this point.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15. durvasa

Reading the article you initially linked to, it's not clear how they intend to enforce it. Reserving the right to refuse service to anyone who discriminates or endorses discrimination in their speech or affiliations sounds fine to me.

It feels like there should be legal protection against them refusing service on more dubious grounds (e.g. no affiliation with radical activist groups, in general), which is what I'm really concerned with, but then again private businesses also have their own rights on who they choose to do business with.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The stupid here hurts. I wholeheartedly approve of discrimination against it, and you frankly (though there is a meaningful debate to be had against discrimination against the ignorant ....is it your fault or were you born into it?)

There's a reason why the 14th amendment exists...we fought a war about it.

Being a white supremacist douche is not afforded the same level of legal protection as being born with dark skin in this country. The reasons for such need no explanation

If you don't like it - get out. Live somewhere else.

Rashmon likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

check the source...who knows if it's even a real story.

18. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Im seeing Impeach Trump trending could he really get impeached with the s*** hes said?

19. Duncan McDonuts

Well, while businesses can decide to choose who they do business with, they cannot discriminate based on protected classes. You can come up with any BS answer except for race, gender, religion, etc.

The wording of this rule matters. If the rule is that "they will not discriminate and exhibit hatred", does that apply to any religious person who discriminates against homosexuals? What's the burden of proof? Is the Gestapo-like witch hunt to out Nazi sympathizers on Twitter all that's needed, including those innocent people who were wrongly doxxed for having a doppelganger or being photoshopped? Our society is heading into dangerous thought police territory and people seem to be okay with that.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Nah, not at all. That's just left wing fantasy, I think. He did equate Washington and Lee (still LOLing) but he's free to say such stupid crap.
    He'll last at least until the end of the Mueller investigation, and probably well beyond.