1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do people hate Mooch?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarface, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I seriously don't know why people bash Mooch so much. I would put him in the top 5 for backup point guards in the league.

1. Nick Van Exel
    2. Chauncey Billups
    3. Breven Knight
    4. Greg Anthony
    5. Moochie Norris

What the hell do you guys expect from a backup point guard? Mooch is averaging 5.1 assists per game on an ISO team. Just imagine what he would do with a team that runs set plays!?

Would I rather have Sam Cassell backing up Steve? Sure, but this ain't 1994. Hell the top two guys on the list will not even be backups in a year or two....

See you guys at the G.S. game.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

...and right after Scarface writes this post, Moochie Norris hits a three-pointer at the buzzer to beat the Golden State Warriors.

:)

Seriously, I agree. He's a great backup point. He's gotten a lot better about passing the ball before the :02 mark on the shot clock now, ever since, oh, say, the All-Star break.

Mooch is definitely a keeper. Not many guys hit 5 game-changing/winning clutch shots in two years.

3. huby_n1

huby_n1 Member

I would add Bobby Jackson to the list.

4. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I would too but I don't think he is better than those 5. I think he would come after them. Jackson averages only 2 assists per game on a very good shooting team so he really doesn't distribute the ball very well.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

don't forget Jamal Crawford.

Crawford and Ming for Francis . . . bring it to me baby...it is sooooo easy. Like giving candy to a baby.

6. drpepper

drpepper Member

I'm sorry, but B. Jackson is ALOT better than Mooch.

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I don't hate Mooch but

1. do think he's overpaid

2. don't think he should be playing that much(Im not opposed to 3 guard lineup unless Mooch is one of those 3)

3. dribbles too much, plays no d, and makes stupid plays(like our other 2 guards)

I would put Best, Dooling/McInnis, Fisher/Hunter, Bobby Jackson, Antonio Daniels, Chris Childs, and Speedy Claxton as equal or better than Mooch.

Better or worse, stuck with the fro. Not a bad backup, but he does belong on the bench for a majority of the game. The bench is your home. Are you too good for your home?

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

What Crisco said...also would add that the dude thinks he is a superstar when only a couple of years ago, he was getting only a sniff of the NBA.

He does have some redeeming value, but that contract of his is always going to stick out like a sore thumb to people, but only when he is playing bad.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Bobby Jackson has to be in the top 3, Just admit you forgot him and don't act like you have a reason he isnt there.

Moochie is nothing but a fan favorite, fan favorites don't win games.

10. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Crisco hits it right on the head IMHO. Where's the next Mad Max without the criminal stuff?

11. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Derek Fisher is A LOT better than Moochie. He can shoot, he can set people up and he plays aggressive defense. Even Kevin Ollie of Indiana is a good backup. What about Chris Childs? Troy Hudson? Tyronn Lue? All the aforementioned players are better than Moochie.

12. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

exactly....

13. enbehay

enbehay Member

Moochie is a solid backup point guard. His big failing is not his fro but his dribble, and dribble, and dribble, and dribble, and dribble, and...

14. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chauncy Billups.

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Our offense goes into major lulls during crunch time with Moochie at the helm.

16. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Mooch has been one of our most consistent players all year long period.

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Being consistently mediocre isn't a good thing.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Crisco and Kid Rock are right on target, it is not about "hate,"it is about accessing personnel. It is about assets and limitations. It is about performance over a season. It is simply our opinion that he does not deserve major minutes. We may be right, we may be wrong. Get over the "hate" thing, this is pro sports, its entertainment, everyone has an opinion, that's part of the game.

19. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Moochie makes mistakes like any other NBA player, but he is definitely not mediocre.

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I will go as far as saying that Moochie of last year was probably the best backup PG in the NBA.

This year, he might not even be top 10.

Other NBA players do not stall their offense quite like the "little dribbler".

Moreover, his offensive contributions come to waste, when he is allowing the other PG to abuse him.