1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do fans love firing people?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by K-Low_4_Prez, May 3, 2014.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Since there is a lot of heat on Mchale right now it made me wonder why do fans always feel like "Man, if we could just get rid of our coach we will be champions."

I mean it happens in every sport, in college and the pros, people seem to think that coaches have some sort of secret effect on the game that we don't see on the floor... I don't think coaches have very much if any effect on a game once it has started, guys like Harden are going to do what they want once they step on the court because he knows that he has the support of the organization and the fans.

Can someone give me an example of a team that has only changed its coach and in one year become a much improved team? I just don't think its a real thing, I mean Doc Rivers is supposed to be a much better coach than Vinny Del Negro yet the Clippers only won one more game than last year and are on the brink of elimination. Should Doc rivers be fired?

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Coaches provide plays, but they also provide guidance / a "father" figure to men from different backgrounds.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the WC this year was a lot harsher than last year - to be able to win as many games under a completely new coach is easier said than done.

I honestly don't think McHale is the answer, though.

3. jacoby

jacoby Member

If you don't think coaching matters after the myriad of blunders committed by McHale this past series, there's little hope for you my friend.

1 person likes this.
  4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

The blunders were all just as much on the players as they were anyone, Im sorry but when some just runs to a spot on the floor and shoots a game winning three Im not going to blame the guy sitting on the bench screaming "stay with him", Im going to blame the guy that had his shoes in quicksand.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Easy solution

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

plus you all talk about some of these "mistakes" like there is some sort of defined right thing to do in every situation and you know for a fact that what you think is right... Im sorry but I don't believe the guys on Clutchfans are that smart.

7. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

McHale did some good thins in this series, but people will only see the bad things. It's just part of the coaching experience.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If you think the move from Vinny to Doc didn't help the Clippers play better basketball, then there's nothing I can write to convince you that sometimes, making a coaching change will result in significant improvement. Vinny was an average coach at best. Thibs helped the Bulls make major strides there too.

1 person likes this.
  9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Whats the point of better basketball? Fans want results!

10. VanityHalfBlack

Exactly, thanks Chandler.;)

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

There's a causal relationship between one and the other. It's no guarantee for a championship, but it's an important ingredient.

12. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

This is a very interesting question.

1) Some people pay a lot of $$ to see games live.

2) There is a % that is totally unreasonable , but they don't spend a dime on watching live games.

3) Some invest too much time following the team , reading articles, message boards, ignoring "more important things in life".

4) Some people choose to vent their frustrations on sports teams rather than their real life issues affecting them personally.

5) Some people are never satisfied , always believe the next coach is better than current.

6) Huge bandwagon effect.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Because a lot of fans don't get to fire people in real life?

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

There are several coaches that only fringe team fans want rid of, you'd probably be lucky to find even 20% of Spurs supporters wanted Pop fired after their first round debacle a few years back for example, generally because they're really good.

Let's put it this way, i think even people with a learning disability figured out that Jones on Aldridge wasn't working by the 2nd half of game 1, yet it wasn't until game 3 and a 0-2 deficit that we saw the necessary tactic change.

#15 Aleron, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  15. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

It's called scapegoating or laying the blame.

16. Major

Major Member

The flipside of this is that if coaching doesn't matter that much, what's the harm in firing someone? Either coaches matter or they don't. If they do, firing someone is a way to bring a new philosophy to a team. If they don't, they are interchangable and there's no harm replacing them.

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Will bringing in a new coach change the philosophy to the team, if it's the GM that creates the philosophy?

18. Major

Major Member

Depends on the coach. But if the coach has no impact, then again, what is the harm in changing coaches?

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

This. Fans want easy solutions to complex problems.

Question: What does McHale being our coach have to do with a PF that can't shoot or guard anyone in the post, young players showing typical inconsistency, and a lack of bench scoring?

Fans: Fire McHale!