1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why didn't we ever try McGrady at PG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GBRocket, Feb 21, 2009.

1. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

I know lots of people have suggested this over the years, but now it looks like T-Mac is done as a Rocket, I really think that not ever giving T-Mac a run at the 1 really seems like a missed opportunity.

The main reason for him likely getting the microfracture surgery is so that he can regain his explosiveness and try to become that high flying slasher and dunker of old. But what if he didn't need to be that way to win? Can you imagine the matchup nightmares that other teams would have if we trotted out a lineup of T-Mac, Artest, Battier, Scola and Yao? Holy hell, that could have been awesome.

I realize that some will think its a moot point based on how AB played last night (and because T-Mac has acted like kind of a jerk recently), but I just think with his athleticism waning, we should have given him a try as PG to see how he could have done as a full time ball distributor and spot up shooter. We could have at least tried it for a couple of quarters or even a game against a scrub opponent (we've lost so many of these anyway, why not use them as a chance to experiment a little).

2. yao123

yao123 Member

cause he sucks and are expected to score not pass...this is why we have 6' dude running the show

3. sunsnow

sunsnow Member

Let it go already.

4. huflungpu

huflungpu Member

You have to think about the matchup problem on the other hand. No way would TMac be able to guard a true PG. How bad would he look trying to catch up with Chris Paul or even Derek fisher.

Besides making him a point guard wouldn't cause him to pass more often anyway.

5. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Does the whole point forward saga ring a bell

6. zilches

zilches Member

Please be careful of what you wish for. We are an injury away from tossing a one-legged T-Mac into the PG position.

7. sammy1991

sammy1991 Member

I don't want to hear "MCgrady this or Mcgrady that"

MAC is done ok, we aren't the Houston Macs, so let it go

8. Lightfoot1

Lightfoot1 Member

because clyde drexler is worthless and a waste of skin

9. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Blasphemy! Clyde Drexler is a Rocket hero.

edit: (what does Clyde have to do with this thread, by the way?)

10. blender

blender Member

Several seasons back, when JVG played gave the McGrady and Head backcourt some minutes, McGrady pretty much played the point guard role - bringing the ball up a lot, distributing, dishing out to an open Head. Worked quite well, during the regular season at least.

11. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

He did try to play the PG role, he tried to keep the ball away from Alston

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

When Luther Head is playing, nothing works "well".

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Is this Jeopardy?

What is, "I am still pissed that Clyde smiled at the end of his last game as a professional basketball player"?

14. PanchoVilla3504

Can u give me the winning lottery numbers for next week?? Apparently you can see the future of TMac not playing anymore...

15. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Because he's even worse at guarding point guards than he is at guarding slower wing players.

16. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

He essentially played point when he did play. Once the ball got across half court, Grady handled the ball and that was the main reason the offense got stagnant.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If he has microfracture surgery, he'll be lucky to play at all next season. Assuming the Rox let him go when his contract expires, there's a high probability that he never plays for us again. Not taking a big chance in saying that.

18. JamesC

JamesC Member

I remember Van Gundy trying that. I didnt like seeing McGrady bringing the ball up the court. I preferred seeing him on the receiving/finishing end of the offense. He dang near had to do everything else when JVG was here.

19. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

good job rookie. you nailed it.

20. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

I would've liked to have seen it but it's probably too late now. :(