1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Daryl Morey and the NBA need to apologize to China

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by weopeo9744, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

No,

in America, you can wear our flag to wrap you butt and dick and no one will give a sh't about it.

Thats called freedom.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It's also against the flag code, and really SHOULDN'T be done, but hey, you CAN do it. And that in itself is beautiful.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

If this is happening in China with the China flag, Josh Reddick could get 10 years up to life sentence.

[​IMG]

malakas, Yung-T and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Well I've now exceeded my daily dose of wiener.

5. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

After going thru most of the comments by people on this post I can generate few key issues.

Most if not all of you have no clue what is actually going on in Hong Kong, because most of the western media are biased toward the rioters. However there are plenty of videos on YouTube on a daily basis showing these rioters beating up people who disagreed with them (old men and women) and how they destroying public transportations. There were some videos of rioters throwing acids, fires, and chasing after the police beating them in blood.

Facebook and google/YouTube are “cutting” these posters who support the police force by cutting their revenue and uploads/posts. I see no western media mention them.

Police family are threaten by these rioters their campus has been destroyed by them. Police are working 30 hrs straight on weekends because of these rioters.

Fake news reports all pointing their cameras at the police at every minute, any real news reporter who dares to not report the fake news has been beaten up by those rioters. I see no western media reporting.

You have the freedom of speech, they have the freedom to choose.

Some of you think the Chinese has overacted on this, well you should thank Trump.

This has been a hot topic and heated anger building up from Trump ban on Huawei plus the trade war issue.
    On any normal day, China wouldn’t care about a GM of. NBA making little comment. However, not since trump started playing his way with the world.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

I was on Hauwei's side until LZPlay and their little backdoor exploit happened. They just as easily could have unlocked their bootloader and gone ASOP and that would have been the end of it. They wanted to send a message, that for some reason a company that had nothing to do with them (Google) had to bow down to them. Good god, they made me take Google's side in a matter, I never do that.

Rochut and malakas like this.
  7. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Why does the west support the rioters? I’m confused.

8. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Ah I see good for u. Me personally I wouldn't trade for this tho.

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

China isn’t a Auxiliary market. China is 4 times bigger than the US.

They will never stop trying to thread that needle.

10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Not only that but there would be a lot of countries that would respect nba copyright instead of creating cheap knock off goods which profits the NBA will never see anywhere.

topfive likes this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

I get you, but they will do so at their own peril. As we've seen, at any moment they could have the rug yanked out from under them over the slightest perceived slap in the face. Any assets in China at that point could be at risk of seizure. The NBA will have to decide whether it's worth it to try to remain in this giant-yet-volatile market while also sacrificing some of their integrity. Good luck with that, Adam Silver.

Here's a China replacement: India, population 1.36 billion

#211 topfive, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  12. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

And your point being?

We have police brutality here and gun control issues and many other sh't, but that makes it OK to tolerate dictatorship or invasion of human rights?

13. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

My point was I wouldnt trade.

I mean for example Americans get more freedom carrying guns and all kinds of other stuff, but in turn you get daily mass shootings and your police are much more aggressive at taking lives cause of greater potential threats. On the other hand Chinese police don't even carry guns. Check out how Chinese police operates.

When u get something u usually give up something else like it or not. Just like how after 911 Americans tightened up surveillance and then eased up overtime. Just like how the violent riots led to the anti-mask law. There is pros and cons in implenting certain systems, like how Americans shutdown government and declare national emergency to build a fence, and the sht show of Briexit. China wouldn't have these problems but we may have other problems. If there arent so many people out there never stop trying to separate our country maybe we can ease up on certain things but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen so we just all have to deal with it.

14. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Get the **** out of here trying to compare freedom in the US and China.

CHI and malakas like this.
  15. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Chinese government heavily monitors social media outside of China. They are trying to control the narrative about HK.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

But don't you dare kneel when they're playing that little flag song at sporting events!

17. Rochut

Rochut Member

Looks like they are trying to push your buttons...I guess it worked? Perhaps you shouldn’t fall for it.

You still need to educate yourself about the history of how things have arrived at this place.

furthermore, we are, in this forum, discussing a tweet DM made from his personal account expressing a personal opinion via Twitter (which is banned in China). To jump from that to depriving a billion people from the entire NBA, is such an overreaction that it shows remarkable insecurity, not a mature, confident response.

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

That’s a terrible comparison between the two.

OK, let’s look at the US side first. Yes we all aware of the US cops are having much heavy and lethal firepower, there is no doubt about it, this is also related the gun control issue, because usually they are in a much dangerous position than the Chinese cops.

But you have missed the most important point - yes, no doubt there are innocent people got killed, but if you do believe most US cops are mentally sick human, then you are having issues.

What I am trying to say is this, the chance of normal people will put them into such situations that will be at gun point by the police is much less than below situations :

1. Corrupted cops working with gangsters to beat you up, rape or just murder you. This is not fake news, you can ask those Chinese posters also, there are some corruption cases which a group of gangsters controlled the whole town for more than 10 years abusing all the residents there while the cops did nothing.
    2. Someone living in Florida did some research on bud light and found out that it contains some poisoned ingredients and make the result to public on Facebook. Assuming the company owns bud light was located at Seattle, and somehow they controlled the local cops and then send 2 f them travelled to Tempa and arrested this dude, take him back to Seattle and beat the sh’t out of him and then force him to shoot a video and apologize in front of the camera. And after that, the guys had serous brain damage when he was back home. True e happened in China.
    3. Someday you are sitting in a restaurant and having lunch, a drunk guy approaching you with anger and started yelling, you know for a fact that he is looking for the wrong guy, you tried to clam him down but he got more upset and eventually pick up a knife and stab you to death. However, the cop arrived, and found out that guy was the son of the mayor and they tried to talk to your wife for a ‘solution’ : they will cut a check to your wife for 1 million dollar and your wife will agree to tell the court this is an accident so the guy will get off easily. Or if you will refuse, they will use the reason of that guy being ‘temporary mentally ill’ and probably will be detained in a recovery center for 6 -10 months and he will be free also, but then they will make sure the rest of your wife’s life will be miserable. Also true event in China.

So, what are the chances you will have events like above happening to you than putting yourself under gunpoint/criminal, and would you rather living in China to face the cops there or having the US cops to deal with such situations ?

19. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Yea I never believed US cops are mentally sick human, if you read my post again, I actually expressed I understand their reasons to act more brutal than cops from other countries. If they take away all the guns from the people, you will definitely see less police shooting, however people can argue their freedom of self defense has been taken away. That's where I believe the trade-off is. Same reason I am not a fan of universal election, especially in the information era. It's great everyone gets a say in who the future leader is, but at the same time appearing witty on TV becomes way more important than actually knowing how to govern.

Example 2 could u provide more information, like a source or something?

Example 1 and 3 you gave I haven't heard of but I wouldn't be surprised if they are true. I believe they are the results of corruption. Corruption has definitely been a big problem in China for a long time. In fact it was the biggest problem during Hu and Wen's era. Certain corrupted actions were considered "common sense". People's trust with the government was greatly damaged in those 10 years. Which is why when Xi first took over, he invested most of his efforts into anti corruption. My father worked in a provincial department his whole life. I have witnessed quite a few of his colleagues, people I grew up knowing, getting their corruptions exposed and going to prison in the past a couple of years. There is still a long way to go, but on this front we are in much better position than 2011. And because of that the government has the resource defend our boarders, such as building the islands in Souch China Sea (I know I know it is controversial territory but China is not going to back down on this).

Also what about US? Would example 1 and 3 never happen in the US? One thing I never understand is lobbying and fundraising by American politicians, are they not "legal corruptions"?

20. mingthething

mingthething Member

You and friend A are in an OK relationship. There's some **** in the past, like that time when friend A, B,C,D E ganged up and forced you to buy heroin from them and when you refused, they came over and whooped your ass until you gave them money. They also wanted your son. They took your son to their fancy house and educated him, but you swore that you would get strong and rich enough so nobody would bully you again, and you would get your son back, because family is everything. You were a bit stricter with your son than what he was used to in the Western household, but you allowed him his autonomy all along. Until there was some legal matter requiring a law change to enable extradition of genuine criminals. Then suddenly your son starts bleating and crying about being abused , saying he liked it better when he was with the other family.