1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's your #5 Starter (edited)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by sonique15, Mar 4, 2005.

?

Who's your #5 Starter?

1. Munro

12 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Hernandez

41 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Redding

16 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Duckworth

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Astacio

46 vote(s)
    37.4%
  6. Other

6 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I hope you know the meaning of "will".

It is evident that you are working off the same information most of us have as well but you are making seem like you have unique information. The word "will" is too strong an absolute to use this case. Maybe it will serve you better to tone it down and use a more flexible word like "most likely", "may" or "might".

Simply put, nothing is absolutely set in stone now regardless of the options available (or not) to certain players. I trust TP and Garner will base there decision for the 5th starter on quality not otherwise.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

redding hasn't always sucked. he was decent the year before last he just didn't have any run support. i don't know what to expect from him but he made himself look like an a$$ with those comments a couple weeks ago. i voted for carlos though i really have no idea.

3. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

Redding stuff is nasty.....he just cant control it and doesn't know how to use it......i never said he was a good pitcher, just that he had the makings of one.

on another note, i think hernandez needs another year of the minors before we throw him out there.....arm strength is jus not there yet for major league bats.....

cant wait to see astacio pitch.....duckworth is garbage.....but my safe choice will be munro.....as much as that pains me to say......

4. sonique15

Redding pitched 2 2/3 frames, allowing three runs, including a two-run single by Anthony Medrano that won the game.

"I thought he had some good pitches, but again, you need to finish off the deal," Garner said. "When he made a couple good pitches, then you'd see three or four pitches right out in the middle of the plate, up in the zone. If he repeats good pitches, he'll be fine. But he needs to repeat good pitches."

Redding made it clear he doesn't take bad outings this early in the spring too much to heart.

"It's the second time out," he said. "I'm tired of you guys (reporters) asking about results on the second game. It's not the regular season. Giving up runs or hits or walks, obviously it's disappointing and a letdown personally, but these games mean nothing right now.

"As long as I can keep feeling good about the way I'm going out there, I can't say anything else. I'm just going to keep pitching as long as they give me an opportunity and that's it."

Garner sees it somewhat differently.

"That's two outings," he said. "That doesn't mean you're over after two outings, but you should be in better shape, you should have all of your pitches working and you should be making quality pitches."

looks like his attitude sucks as much as his game......

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...Redding's attitude sucks donkey balls. I don't want a pitcher with that attitude as my number five starter. He seems to think he is better than he really is the way he talks. I thought actions were supposed to be louder than words?

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

As much as I think Astacio will the best of this group longterm(and Buckholz if he can get healthy) I voted for Munro, unless Carlos Hernandez gets his velocity back.

The reason being I'd rather have Astacio come up and have a major impact in the 7th/8th inning like Oswalt did at first, then let him progress into a starting role. I think that helps the team the most this year, while allowing astacio a smoother big league transition. In the long haul, yes Astacio moves into the rotation, but for this year I'd rather have his electric stuff/command in the pen.

Plus, Carlos has options left and can work on rediscovering his velocity in AAA and munro can hold down the fort in the mean time. As far as Tim Redding/Duckworth go, I'd trade them for preferably a talented but enigmatic reliever(like Harville last year) or as part of a package for an OF(Cameron, Byrnes, Huff, etc). If that fails, whatever I can get will suffice.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Chris holt would be looking pretty good about now.

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I would even take Shane Reynolds right about now. He can't be any worst than those four bums we have for the 5th spot.

9. sonique15

saw shane reynolds at the gym the other day, looks to be in good shape.....damn....at this point, id sign him......

10. msn

msn Member

I loved Shane back in the day. Workhorse. Lots of K's. Strong work ethic. Solid guy.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I thought he sold TMac his house, then moved away from our golden area???

12. sonique15

he did sell T-Mac his house but I doubt he left the area. He has a membership at lifetime fitness, and its located in the Sugar Land area, so im guessin he's still around somewhere.

13. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Actacio -- today 3 perfect innings against the Cards -- 9 up/9 down.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

which included Pujols, Edmonds (brushed him off the plate even) and Sanders.

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I like this Astacio kid. The guy is young i know but he has been pitching for 7 years in other leagues around the world and i think it's a good place to put it at the 5 spot. All the other guys are garbage now and this kid seems to have some good stuff.

16. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Hey if he keeps it up, they got to give hime a shot. I think Pupura is more likely to give the younger guys oppurtunities. I know it's just Spring Training, but I can't help but be optimistic about Astacio, from all of the things I've heard about him (never seen him pitch).

17. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

I like how Astacio is looking.

He is pitching and not throwing like Redding. I think Redding needs to take his talent and mental problems somewhere else.

18. msn

msn Member

It's great to have pitchers in the minors to be excited about again. Remember when Roy, Redding, Ireland, Saarloos, and a couple others whose names escape me were just flaming at different levels a few years back?

19. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I agree ... I think Redding should try to make the team as an outfielder :)

20. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

more like a bat boy....