1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's your #5 Starter (edited)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by sonique15, Mar 4, 2005.

?

Who's your #5 Starter?

1. Munro

12 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Hernandez

41 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Redding

16 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Duckworth

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Astacio

46 vote(s)
    37.4%
  6. Other

6 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

Biggest question of the spring in my opinion.

I vote for my boy Carlos!

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Give Hernandez the first shot and if he can't do it let Astacio take it. I've seen enough of Redding, Munro and Duckworth.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't know yet.

4. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

its just frustrating to see all that wasted talent in Redding. He's got great stuff if he could just get his head on straight.....

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I would give Carlos another chance. Screw Redding, Munro, and Duckworth. Carlos can prove he can be better that what everyone else thinks.

#5 Rockets34Legend, Mar 4, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I voted Carlos.

7. msn

msn Member

I am the sole vote for Munro. A serviceable #5 guy, who can come in out of the pen in a pinch. Then, if minor league studs (including Carlos) prove themselves at AAA or AA, you can bring them up. Munro is valuable in the dual way he can serve.

As far as Redding, I'd like to see the Astros trade his cocky ass to some other team who thinks they can help him maximize his "untapped potential."

8. msn

msn Member

As ST progresses, if Carlos's fastball is back to the low 90's and his wicked breaking stuff is approaching its former wickedness, I reserve the right to change my vote to an enthusiastic "¡Carlos Hernández!" :)

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Munro will at least be the team's long reliever from the bullpen and spot starter. If Redding does not perform, Munro will be the fifth starter.

Redding is either the fifth starter or off the team, since he does not want to a long reliever (and is out of options). Garner may be able to turn Redding around, or at least get him back to his 2003 form.

Hernandez has the highest potential of the bunch. When he first came up to the majors, he had #1 or #2 stuff. The loss of velocity caused by his subsequent injury is the sticking point. As is, he is not a major league pitcher. He is still really young and has such a high potential, so the Astros might carry him on the 25 man roster if he is out of options.

Duckworth is likely to not make the team.

Astacio is the long shot. Given the Astros's track record of wanting to bring strating pitcher up slowly (or in emergency situations), one would think that Astacio will likely be sent to AAA.

My vote is for Munro. I would not bet on Redding getting it together.

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

you know what....he doesnt have GREAT STUFF......you just read somewhere that he has GREAT STUFF....or maybe as a prospering minor leaguer he was said to have GREAT STUFF....because if he actually had GREAT STUFF, he'd be at least a GOOD pitcher....but he isn't...so its painfully obvious that he doesn't have GREAT STUFF....in fact, he has SH*TTY STUFF. You know how I know that he has SH*TTY STUFF? Because I watched him pitch about 1000 times and he can't get anyone out. You know why he couldn't get anyone out? Because he didn't have GREAT STUFF. If he had GREAT STUFF, he could get people out.

So to recap...

Redding does not have GREAT STUFF.

11. MadMax

a pitcher can have "great stuff" that he doesn't use effectively. redding's got head problems. not arm problems.

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

ineffective GREAT STUFF is sometimes referred to as SH*TTY STUFF...he doesn't throw the ball with his head

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Billy Wagner has great stuff... but when Billy Wagner decides to throw it right down the middle of the plate, he gets rocked.

All pitchers do.

Thus, "stuff" can be considered "independent" of one's head.

If you have great stuff, and a great head, then yes... you are a great pitcher.

14. MadMax

two different things altogether, NJ.

Darryl Kile had incredible stuff!!! but he was very average until he put it together. figured out when/how to make pitches. the game of it all.

there is a physical side to a pitcher...we call that his "stuff." what can he throw? can he locate it? velocity? you can see a guys "stuff" without even having a batter up to the plate. (you can also see it if they wear really tight pants, but that's a whole other matter.)

and then there is the mental side...does he freak out when he gives up a hit? can he hold runners on? is he smart about location with different hitters? easy for catcher to work with?

Redding's problem is the latter...the mental side. If he could put that together, he could be valuable. He may need a change of scenery to do that. But that happens. The Astros were patient with Kile and it paid off for them. I'm not saying Redding is a Kile waiting to happen...just using an example.

15. msn

msn Member

I completely disagree. His fastball is absolutely nasty, with great movement. I agree with the dozens of scouts and ML GMs who have said he has great stuff over your observations. There is a difference between "stuff" and "control", and still further difference between those and "knowing how to pitch". Redding has the first and neither of the latter two, as is painfully obvious.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

great stuff or sh***y stuff...what really matters is that Tim Redding sucks. He is Chris Holt all over again. We don't need someone who expects to lose every 5 days. I'd much rather try out Astacio, Gothreaux, heck even Buckholz. I don't want Tim Redding or Brandon Duckworth on this team, period. They both have this cloud of perpetual loserdom hanging over them.

17. msn

msn Member

I agree with you on that. I hope the Astros can use Timmah to coax a 2nd rounder or two or some minor league fillers from another GM.

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Just to add to Max's good points, in 93 Daryl Kile started the season as our 5th starter and ended up winning 15 games. Sometimes the lightbulb magically comes on.

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I voted for Astacio. Hernandez can't throw over 82mph and plus he seems to walk 2 batters each inning. Redding,Munro and Duckworth have sucked for years so I don't need to comment much on them.

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd actually take a look at Buccholz, too.