1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's the best all time 6'3" or shorter?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by iOrange, Dec 11, 2002.

1. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

IMO, till now Stockton(maybe Isiah) is greatest at this category.
    Is Franchise going to be even greater?

I brought up this because my confidence on Franchise isn't big enough... Looks like <6'3" super-superstars are all just great passer. Franchise depends on his athelitsm too much, I wonder when he gets little old....

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Isiah

Nate "Tiny" Archibald was a bad-ass too!

But, Isiah was a leader that won two rings...so I give it to him.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The best shorter than 6 foot was calvin murphy. He was a stud at 5'10"

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

I agree. Murphy and Archibald are the first two that come to mind, but seeing as how Murphy was the superior fighter, I give him the overall edge. :)

5. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Zeke! :eek: :eek: :eek:

He and Charles are considered the two players who got the most out of their size.

6. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

As much as it pains me to say this I cant think of a better player under 6'3'' that is better than Stockton. Keep in mind I have only been watching basketball since the late 80's.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Lots of possibilities from Cooz to Black Jesus (Earl Monroe). David Thompson, maybe. Gail Goodrich (who, late in his career, was traded for a #1 pick -- Magic Johnson!).

Better question, perhaps, who are the best 6'3" and shorter since 1990? 2000?

8. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

FRANCIS...hands down. do u wanna know why? right now he does depend on his athletisicm. but he knows what he need to do to help this team win. he can play the "true" point guard as well

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So far I would say Stockton, from my limited knowledge. But Francis might be able to surpass him (if he wins some rings) when all is said and done.

10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

1. Stockton
    2. West
    3. Isiah

11. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Jerry West - Mr. Clutch

12. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

West seemed taller than 6'3".

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

I think he was right at 6'3''.

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Consideration for Dave Bing.

15. wheelhouse74

wheelhouse74 Member

i don't know if francis is best all time under 6'3" but he is the best right now at that height. and to the comment that he relies on his athleticism; that is a moronic view. not to mention racist. if stockton had franchise's athletic ability, he too would rely on it. it is an athletic competition after all. too often, black players are said to be only athletes and white players like stockton are said to be cerebral players, i.e. "true pg's" isiah was a great point guard in part because of his athletic ability in addition to his mental approach to the game. francis is a great pg all the way around. if he could afford to only worry about being a floor general he would excel at that. up until a few weeks ago, around the time of yao's emergance, stevie could not just sit back and run the offense. but now he can and he will be even more unstoppable. there was a time when mj relied on his jumping ability too, and he probably is the smartest baller of all time. sorry, let me get down from my soapbox now.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Tiny led the league in scoring and asst in the same yr. Isiah was one of a few players to avg 20pts 10asst. Stockton-enough said.

17. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Talk about moronic, re-read your post. You throw the racist tag around far too easily. If Stockton is not athletic, how could he be so successful if he didn't use his head. Anyone that knows anything about basketball knows Isiah was great, not because of his athleticism, but because he used it so wisely. Then you point out Jordan didn't play so smart early on - relied on his athleticism. Gee, I wonder at what point he was the best player?? Francis has not been a "great point guard all the way around". He has not played particulary smart and definately hasn't made his teamates better, unless you want to define his play as great because he has set Cato up for dunks. Lately, it looks like he has turned the corner and is playing much better as a point guard. If you want to classify me as a racist because I think he relied on his athletisicm the first 3 years, you are a moron.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm really surprised anyone would rank stockton ahead of isiah thomas.

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

If Jerry West was 6'3" or under in his playing days (I thought he was 6'4") it is him, no question. He is one of the 10 all-time best basketball players, something neither Isiah nor Stockton has a legit claim to.

IMHO Isiah > Stockton--in their key years Isiah was just a little more dominant of player because of his scoring skills. (if his team needed 30, he could do it even if most of the time his team didn't need that from him to win)

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

we don't agree very often...when we do, i feel compelled to point it out! i could not agree more with the last bit of your post comparing stockton and isiah! plus, isiah was better on the defensive end of the floor.