1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's rewriting History?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Dec 14, 2005.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

let's see, Sovs invaded to crush a budding democratic movement and prop up their puppet goverment, the US to remove a brutal dictator and free iraqis from tyranny. yeah, quite similar...

2. insane man

insane man Member

remind me again how the south was for black folks during the 50s?

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

nice post. You put FrenchieBlade in his place

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

It's more comparable to the genocide of American Indians for the natural resources.

5. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Well, it would be their first vote under the new constitution, but it's certainly not the same as the American struggle unless you think the French came and liberated the Brits and gave us freedom.

6. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

A super-power invading a small country to quell a perceived threat, and set up a government it feels would be friendly to secure its own security. You don't see the resemblance?

Like I said, not a real close analogy, but the closest historical example I could think of. After your WW2 analogy I believe you should steer clear of historical arguments.

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Sorry but that is not anywhere near the truth. Go read it.

BTW, isn't the issue here of writing current events rather than re-writing history?

8. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Whatever the case may be - if the elections are successful at engaging Sunnis and the insurgency begins to wan....

Bush gets credit. Afterall, this was his war - if he was going to be damned for it's failure, then he should get credit if it works out at the end. Amazingly, who would have seen Iraq becoming a stable democracy???

It's not guarantee - but the situation has gone from hopeless to hopeful.

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

All I hope for is that they are successful so we can get the **** out. But to equate it to America's struggle for independence is ludicrous.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

You do remember that some of the "Americans" were not in favor of independence... similiar to Iraq?

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Now don't go all Hayes on me giddy.

12. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

You can relate anything to anything. It's just rhetoric. Who cares about that stuff - at the end of the day, if Iraq becomes a stable democracy it would be the first victory for the U.S. in a very long time.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm sure the tens of thousands of dead ones begrudge a bit. Oh wait, they don't, they're dead.

Oh well, you can't make a civil war torn pro-Iranian satellite state omelet without breaking a few eggs! :p

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

People under the control of a ruler for life are helped to freedom by a superpower. Yep, that pretty much sounds like the American Revolution to me. We are just taking on much more of the burden than the French did, which is not surprising, because they were the French. :)