1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's gonna back up Rafer now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mdoggnic, Oct 27, 2008.

1. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

The Houston Chronicle is reporting that Aaron Brooks will miss a week and possibly up to 3 weeks with a bruised right ankle.
    My question to everyone is should the Rockets attempt to sign a free agent(they have 1 roster spot available after waiving DJ Strawberry) or should they use a player on the current roster(Brent Barry/Luther Head)?

2. Miguel45

Miguel45 Member

use both barry and head together in the game and switch turns taking it up the court and a little mcgrady but rafer will prbably play like 40 minutes a game now so we wont need to sign another point guard to play 8 minutes when u got head/barry

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Looks like Brent Barry or our pride and joy Luther Head will try to fill the void.

4. The Bird

The Bird Member

Brent Barry

5. mdoggnic

I think I will be the first to respond to my own thread...they should let Brent Barry and T-Mac run the point for the 10 minutes a game that Rafer will sit out.

6. moose

moose Member

I hope it's Barry.

7. opticon

opticon Member

I think tmac will see more time at the 1. With battier , ron ,wafer and barry on our squad we have alot of players we can slide in at the 2.
    I think tmac playing 8-10 min at the 1 will give him some stretches of time to be the primary decision maker which will in turn help him find his rhythm faster.

8. GMAC

GMAC Member

Aaron Brooks wasn't a playmaker to begin with. We'll be fine with TMac and Barry handling the ball duties. Its not that hard to dribble the ball up past half court (unless you're a guard for Team China).

9. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

guys..what do you think of this plan...

we play Luther at PG! Its wayyyy better than playing Rafer for 40 mins!

I really don't want to see Rafer playing more than 30 mins per game this season. 25 mpg sounds about right for Rafer.

Luther has been shooting well in the preseason. He has been the best shooter from stats in the preseason, connecting for something like 60%fg% and even more than 60%3ptFG%!

We ramp up Luther stats for a couple of months, and then when AB comes back and comes onto his own in the PG role, we ship Luther's ass to New Jersey for a 7 footer in Sean Williams-the next great shotblocking machine, ... Sean would certainly blossom under the guidance of Sikma and Mutombo.

I'm sure with the NJ wanting to dump VC's salary they have no SG at all! CDR can't really do much in his preseason. They'd have no reason at all not to take Luther for Sean Williams. Maybe if Luther plays really well we might be able to get a 2nd round pick or something.

I envision a blockbuster deal in the trade deadline that would see NJ dumping VC and a Luther-Sean Williams swap. Any ideas?

10. Miguel45

Miguel45 Member

Luther sucks rather see rafer out there

11. mdoggnic

Agreed...would like to see luther get spot minutes at the 2 this season...like in the past.

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

It sucks that Rafer can avoid all the injuries and charges. This team is cursed by Rafer.

13. yobod

yobod Member

kind of the purpose of the thread...

wasted a few seconds of my life reading your respon se and user name

14. yobod

yobod Member

Rafer is one of the better point guards in the league. We are lucky to have him

it shows how much you know about basketball

15. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

thats the reason i say we need DJ instead of Wafer. DJ may not be good, but at the very least, he still is a PG.

as of now, i see head playing back-up.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

1. Sean Williams is not 7ft. He's 6"10 and supposed to be a PF.

2. Even though Williams' stock declined last year, I still don't think Luther will be enough to get him, nor do I believe he's even get-able, given New Jersey's desire to stockpile as many prospects and cost-effective assets as possible for their attempt at luring Lebron.

3. Vince Carter is practically untradeable. That albatross contract combined with his one-dimensional play has basically ensured that he'll be with New Jersey until 2010.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Rafer is going to play 40 minutes. That was his load last season anyways. Barry and Tmac will step in for the 8 minutes. We will be fine.

18. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Rafer play more minutes.

Use T-Mac and Barry as two SG to distribute.

19. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

A. Have you ever seen Luther dribble?
    B. Wth does the second half or third half of your post have to do with Rafer?
    C. Stick to the damn topic.

20. Classic

Classic Member

Barry looked like a pretty good play maker in the preseason...I see no problem with him handling things with Rafer out. This team is deep enough that we'll be fine.