1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whopping 21 player trade rumor

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ChrisP, Jul 27, 2000.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Anybody caught wind of this?
    http://www.foxsports.com/columns/stories/bk0726monroe1.sml

I don't know how in the hell they can get all of these salaries to add up but... If they can, the Lakers look to get better (damn it!), giving up Glen Rice and Travis Knight to get Mason and Kukoc.

If this goes down, it would have to be the blockbuster trade of all time!

There was also talk in this story of a possible Shawn Kemp/Brian Grant swap between the Cavs and Blazers and some other interesting tidbits.

------------------

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I was going to post this as well, but in reading the article, it states there is NO way it can go down due to the CBA and salary cap restrictions.

On another note, Portland would be making a gargantuan mistake trading Kemp for Grant. I really don't think Grant would play for Cleveland anyway.

------------------
    HOOP-T
    ------------------

3. ChrisP

HOOP-T, the article stops short of saying there is no way this deal can work. Granted, the odds are stacked against it since it would be so complicated.

But, the author of the article did say, "According to experts I trust, it can (work)."

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that anybody even dreamed up such a complex scenario and that the teams are actually trying to work it out.

------------------

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

wouldn't it be cool if it did happen!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

ummmm....no it wouldnt be cool. Not it LA ends us with Mason and Kukoc.

------------------

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Is Charlotte just the worst franchise ever? They send two of their best players for Stackhouse & Laettner. What are they doing, trying to rekindle those old Duke/North Carolina feelings? Gimme a break.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

7. ChrisP

Well Jeff, looks like Charlotte may share your feelings on this. They appear to be killing this deal because they want Rice, not Laettner and Stackhouse and this isn't the way to get him.
    http://www.espn.go.com/nba/news/2000/0728/656236.html

------------------

8. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Stackhouse is a 25 year old all-star (signed long term to a relatively small dollar contract too). That's not chop suey.

Laettner does suck, but he's cap room after the season.

The whole trade is rather silly though.

------------------

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i read that the GM in Portland now (Whitsett?) was the GM in Seattle when Kemp was the Reign-man and tearing up the Western Conference. So it would be natural to think that he'd want the Reign-man back in the Great Northwest, but his reasoning was that he can remember how Kemp would be able to stay with and frustrate Shaq. I guess he thinks that the only way the Blazers get by the Lakers is to have Kemp try to match up with Shaq... if this trade goes down, it'd be ironic... weren't Kemp and Pippen supposed to be traded for each other back in 94 or something? Funny how things like that always seem to happen... I dunno if it's good deal for Portland, i mean, yeah Kemp in the mid-90's was a STUD (on and off the court [​IMG] ) but now he seems more like a head case.....

------------------