1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Will Succeed Diane Feinstein in the US Senate?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That's a logical question and I don't have a great answer. Politically, Newsom did the right thing. And really, is it a huge deal? Probably not. I just thought it was worth pointing out the sequence of events here and my suspicion on Newsom's motivation. If I had to pick someone who wasn't Lee, I don't know who I'd pick. I'd have to look into it more.

I think if Newsom actually was the person that he pitched himself as, he would have nominated Lee. But what he actually is, is a politician who is making smart, savvy political moves that will help his career. That was what I came in here saying - that he made this seemingly counterintuitive move because it would further his greater ambition. He went out of his way to not nominate the most obvious black woman because doing so wouldn't have endeared him to donors as much, IMO.

[steps on soapbox]
    As an aside, and to finish off my pointless and unnecessary advocacy for Lee, I will admit that she will always hold a high place in my mind because of what she did on September 14, 2001. I am biased. She was the only person in the House or Senate who opposed the vaguely worded and unbelievably broad resolution giving the Bush admin basically any resource to attack anyone in the name of defending America. She went on to speak and write about it a lot in 2001 and the following years, and wouldn't you know it, she was right about damn near everything.

And the rest of her career is similar. She said and did what she believed, regardless of how politically popular it was. As a result of that, she is not politically popular. It seems that some people think working for a union, then working for an establishment politician's campaign, and then cashing in on those political ties makes one a "progressive." I would disagree with that. I would think Lee is a more appropriate person for that label.

From my point of view, Lee deserves the spot, especially since Newsom gave the "black woman" condition. Someone who has been honest and intellectually consistent is someone who should be promoted, even if she doesn't have the experience of lobbying on behalf of silicon valley.
    [steps off soapbox]

In any case, I should leave and go back to making shitposts in the GARM. I think I've done as good as I can with my limited knowledge and time to get my point of view across.

Invisible Fan and ElPigto like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

Let it out big boy

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Might be because of this tweet.

She's been on his ass since the Padilla appointment.
    Don't let those nutsacks get to you.

They've already chased away a few other moderate members from posting on topics, and act as some weird Ministry of Truth despite being horrible at comprehending anything important or understanding what a good debate means.

Cancerous

LondonCalling likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Cal Politics for anyone who cares.

Strike benefits squabble renews focus on California's insolvent unemployment insurance system

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. adoo

adoo Member

you're wrong. Barbara Lee was very popular, so popular that she has won re-election 12 consecutive times.

the same applies to Butler, Karen Bass and several other Black women Califnornians

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Governor Greaser should have appointed this woman.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

she is brilliant regardless of whether you agree with her or not

8. adoo

adoo Member

California’s Double Max

Under state law, a special election must be held to serve out the remainder of Feinstein’s term, from Election Day 2024 until the new session of Congress on January 3, 2025. That special election will appear on the same ballot as the regularly scheduled election for a six-year term for the seat.

Because there are two primaries and two general elections, candidates can receive a maximum donation for each race. Under the normal rules, the max donation would be $6,600: $3,300 for the primary and the same for the general. Now, candidates can receive up to $13,200 from an individual to their own campaign, if they appear on the ballot in both races.

In general, this will grant the most benefit to the candidate who has received the most money from maxed-out donors. Schiff and Proter are running neck-and-neck leading in the polls; but, as of June, Schiff had raised $29.8 million and $10.4 million for Porter had $10.4 million. According to Politico,
    • Schiff can receive an additional $3.2 million from the 495 donors who have maxed out to his campaign as of June;
    • Rep. Katie Porter, who uses more of a small-donor strategy, has only 47 maxed-out donors, meaning the maximum benefit to her campaign would be about $310,000.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wow, I guess I was 100% wrong on that. I wonder if that is why the republicans seemed to allow Butler to get the key senate committee seat...

11. adoo

adoo Member

Early 2023,
    yesterday, 2 Oct 2023

Barbara Lee hits California Senate opponents Schiff, Porter on Santos expulsion vote

Lee, who voted to expell the con artist, George Santos, called out her opponents
    Porter was among 31 Democrats who voted to keep Santos in Congress as the first-term congressman faces mounting legal battles, ending a Republican-led effort to oust him. Schiff didn’t vote.

Porter said in a statement that Santos “clearly violated the public trust” and said she would have voted to censure him — and thinks “it would be appropriate” for him to resign. But she said
    the House risks setting a “dangerous precedent” if it expelled him at this point.

“The gravity of expulsion demands due process—by the Ethics Committee, our courts, or another impartial fact finder. To date, the Ethics Committee has not finished its investigation, and Rep. Santos has not been convicted.
    The House would set a dangerous precedent if we expelled a member without allowing one of these processes to conclude,” Porter said.

FWIW,

back in April 2023, after the release of the Durham report, Florida Rep Luna /MTG had filed a motion to expell Adam Schiff from the House,
    w the evidence-free innuendo that Schiff's role in the Russian investigation was part of a conspiracy to defame / railroad Trump​

#151 adoo, Nov 3, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
  12. adoo

adoo Member

according to one of the polls, Garvey is in second place behind Adam Schiff, but ahead of Katie Porter

https://calmatters.org/commentary/2024/01/republican-steve-garvey-senate-election/

13. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

ROCKSS likes this.
  14. adoo

adoo Member

there is a debate on local TV among the Senate candidate?

Steve Garvey came across as uninformed on the Isralis/Gaza conflict, health Care and economic issues.
    while every one the the Dems stated that they will vote for Biden as POTUS, Garvey tried his best not to answer the question.
    every one of his opponents jumped on him for avoiding the question, Garvey replied " you guys are banging on the trash can just like the Astros"

before this debate, the concensus was that Garvey's entry was a gift for Schiff, who has been leading in the polls, under the assumption that he will get votes from Porter/Lee voters. this debate exposes Garvey as nothing but a celebrity candicate, of no substance. he will fizzle out quickly.

it will be a close race between porter and schiff.

#154 adoo, Jan 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. adoo

adoo Member

Steve Garvey, Calif's Tommy Tuberville wannabe, touts ‘family values’ in his Senate bid.
    Some of his kids tell another story

The biography in his website describes him “a devoted family man", a father of seven children who understands that in the ever-changing world we live in there is a great necessity of being a man of honor, integrity and quality.” it also describes him describes him as a “true role model,”; he praises the GOP’s value of “personal responsibility”

But the reality of Garvey’s life is more complex. The 75-year-old has struggled with debt, been repeatedly sued.
    Speaking publicly for the first time, the two children involved in the paternity imbroglio, now adults, told The Times that their mothers repeatedly tried to arrange meetings and phone calls for the children with Garvey, but he declined to communicate.

Also speaking publicly for the first time, Garvey’s oldest child from his first marriage said he cut off almost all contact without explanation about 15 years ago in a move that she still finds painful.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's lost my vote. :rolleyes:;)

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

18. adoo

adoo Member

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

Andre0087, FranchiseBlade and ROCKSS like this.
  20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I watched a few minutes of one of the debates.................Garvey was, and is a POS womanizer and he is in the same vein at H Walker. I hope Garvey gets waxed.

Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.