1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Will Succeed Diane Feinstein in the US Senate?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Jun 3, 2023.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They're*

Haymitch just calmly gives his political opinion on the subject and you run in tripping over your dick to label him and yell loser in his face, while claiming others are the ones attacking everyone.

[​IMG]

This just hasn't been @Haymitch 's day

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And “black woman” meant it had to be Lee? There are other black women in Ca.

mtbrays likes this.
  3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't care who Newsom appoints since I don't live in California. But, it would've seemed like he was attempting to influence the Senate race by appointing Lee before that election is held.

Andre0087 likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

And there was even one living in DC, to whom Newsom gave this role.

Come on. You can see this transaction as clearly as anyone. I'm not hating on the guy. I'm just stating the obvious.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I haven't clicked "Show Ignored Content" so I'm not sure who you're talking to, but I could maybe guess.

In any case, between this and RocketsWatchGate, I am absolutely devastated.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am guessing Newsome tried to avoid appointing one of the main candidates so they wouldn't get the advantage of running as a an incumbent. That said, maybe Butler will decide she wants to run for the full term?

FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  7. astros123

astros123 Member

Again there's nothing wrong with butler. I've been to her fundraising drives before and she's as progressive as you get. She's been a union organizer literally for her entire life while always looking out for poor and disadvantaged people.

It's disgusting watching bernie turds calling her establishment and whatever bullshit they think of bcz their canidate wasn't selected

I know butler personally. She's an amazing person and watching these leftie scumbags attack her makes me mad. Anyone who doesn't fit their circle is quickly called a establishment shill. These morons have been doing this for years which is why nobody likes them in the party.

folks like @Haymitch are hated in the party in real life. Bernie bros are always low life clowns attacking everyone else. They have no idea how to build coalitions

#127 astros123, Oct 3, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol to all of this, bravo sir.

Deckard likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Newsom publicly floated the idea that his pick would be on the condition that they couldn't run but he dropped it during the announcement period.

Now the punditry is saying if she wanted to run, she could tap a large donor pool to finance it.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Honestly you’re doing the frequent mistake of substituting opinion for fact. Newsom
    Said he was going to appoint a black woman he also said he didn’t want to put his finger in the scales of the next Senate election. It seems
    Like those were the biggest factors in Butlers appointment rather than some play to “the establishment”.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

She might yes and given what Newsom previously said about who he would appoint and the current candidates interested in the job this might lead to a lot of chaos in that race.

my guess is there will be a lot of pressure for Buttler not to run but she probelay doesn’t feel bound by whatever Newsom said.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Of course this is my opinion. My opinion is based on facts. I didn't preface my post with "this is my opinion" so maybe that's my bad. I'll try to be more explicit.

He's clearly putting his finger on the scales of the next election (opinion). Just before making this appointment, he changed his position so this appointee can run for the election (fact).

Lee had the support of the Congressional Black Caucus and the Progressives (facts). But she doesn't have the support of large tech donors because she doesn't have the experience that Butler has of serving their interests (fact). So that tips the scales in Butler's favor, as Newsom stands to gain favor with those tech donors by making moves that cater to those donors' interests (opinion).

Your opinion, as far as I can gather, is apparently that Newsom appointed someone who has experience as a tech industry lobbyist that didn't even live in California because he thinks that appointing such a person - immediately after saying this person can now run for the Senate - does not actually influence the Senate race. That's an interesting opinion.

I personally would think that appointing her to this role makes it more likely that she will run for and win the Senate race, but it's possible there is a long history of Californians making senators of people who live on the other side of the country.

#132 Haymitch, Oct 4, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
  13. adoo

adoo Member

if only you can specify what rule did he change ?

you are entitled to you opinion, but not to manufacture your own "facts"'

the black caucus has lauded the appointment of Butler, https://thehill.com/homenews/race-p...aise-butler-dont-want-her-pitted-against-lee/

you know that for 14 years, butler was the president of the largest labor union in Calif, a pro-labor state, no?​

#133 adoo, Oct 4, 2023
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah rule is the wrong word. I originally wrote policy but that's the wrong word too. I should have said position, probably.

Originally, Newsom said he didn't want to appoint Lee because she's running for the Senate. He didn't want his appointment of her to give her an unfair advantage. But then he changed his position and said his appointment can run for Senate, which makes his reason for not appointing Lee in the first place no longer relevant.

15. adoo

adoo Member

for the record, Newsom's commitment has been to nominate a black woman, never mentioning any names.

• most No Cal Dems took this to infer Lee
    • most So Cal Dems took this to infer Karen Bass

so you;re wrong in saying that Newsom had changed his position

#135 adoo, Oct 4, 2023
    astros123 likes this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Fine.... who do you think Newsome should have picked? Doesn't it kind of seem like a no-win scenario regardless? I'm sure there's a Wall Street Journal opinion piece out there saying he should have appointed a Republican, but that's besides the point. I don't really get the issue here other than maybe critiquing that he should have appointed someone who was also very old that wouldn't have been running in 2024.

Even then, you'd hear criticisms that the Democrats were again too old. So I just really don't care as long as the 2024 Senate run is fair, and everyone has the same opportunity which it seems that way. I didn't really know who Lee was prior to this so he's only helping someone who was a longshot regardless.

Just seems like a no-win scenario, and he probably made a decent pick all things considered. He sure as hell shouldn't be picking a Republican.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm aware he said black woman. I said that from the beginning. But he did explicitly exclude Lee from his list of potential nominees because he didn't want her to get a leg up.

So yes, he changed his position from an interim appointment of someone who wasn't and wouldn't run for the Senate, to it now being some who could, in fact, run for the Senate.

18. astros123

astros123 Member

Im sorry but are you somehow suppose to making me feel bad? Hes a bernie bro and a effin loser. Calling everyone you dont like a "establishment shill" is peak loser brain.

Next time you want a raise at work call your boss bad words on live tv and then when he gives the raise to someone else call him a establishment too. These people are the biggest losers in the democractic party and literally nobody likes them.

Its funny how youre not mentioning how Lee trashed Newsom on live tv. Remember the next you want a raise at your job call out your boss for being a loser in front of the entire work and then b**** how hes being a establishement.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't have been against Lee, but it would have been cool if he stuck with his original position of just appointing an interim person who would have just finished out Feinstein's term and then moved on.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I get that, but I just don't know who that person is you know? Maybe there's a semi-retired Congressman/woman like Jackie Spears or whomever that you could say is just an interim, but then you have the complaint about Democrats just being a bunch of old has beens. Lee obviously was not well know outside of Dem circles so I don't really see a huge harm here. He just elevated someone that didn't have a chance before, and now kind of might have a chance at the 2024 seat.