1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Will Succeed Diane Feinstein in the US Senate?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Jun 3, 2023.

1. adoo

adoo Member

So far, 15 candidates are officially running for Feinstein’s Senate seat, according to the Federal Election Commission.

These are the prominent ones

Dems, they're all well-known members of the US House of Representatives

[​IMG]

As for the Repug, so far only one prominent one, attoney Eric Early from the "woke" entertainment industry. To the extent that he has lost every election that he has entered, he is prominent. also noteworthy is the fact that
    • the most powerful GOPer in the state, Kevin McCarthy, refused to endorsed his candidacy for the Calif AG position last year.
    • he is for additional restrictions on abortion right, which doesn't bode well in a state that is 84% pro choice.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Ubiquitin likes this.
  3. adoo

adoo Member

you beat me to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    imho, altho he is more well-known than the other GOP candidates, this former media darling has too many skeletons in his closet.

In his playing days, the media in SoCal had portrayed him as a saint. post his retirement from the MLB, The Roman Catholic University, U of San Diego, then named him to its board of trustees. and a newly constructed junior high school in Lindsay, CA was named after Steve Garvey. The :LA Dodger hired his company to do public relations work.

then came the news of Garvey fathering two children with different women in the span of one year, and a marriage to a third woman.

Comedian Bob Uecker came up with this great line,

"Pete Rose may have bet on the Breeders cup,
    but Steve Garvey won the breeder's cup!"​

Garvey later resigned from the board of trustees; and his company, The Garvey Marketing Group, had to file for bankruptcy. and the LA Dodger fired him as a Public Relations rep.

#3 adoo, Jun 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  4. Major

Major Member

Best guess: Barbara Lee
    Best pick: Katie Porter

edit: one curveball in this is that California uses the jungle primary system, so the Nov election could be Lee vs Porter (or 2 popular Democrats in general). If that's the case, the 35-40% of the population that is GOP could have a major influence on the winner.

For example, if it's Schiff vs one of the other two, many GOPers probably vote against Schiff due to his impeachment connections.

5. adoo

adoo Member

yet another monkey wrench

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I like Porter, but nor cal folks usually win.

Lee is 76 so it wouldn't be a surprise for her to get the nod with a wink wink to annoit her successor. Kinda dubious as newsom holds the cards there for vacated seats.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Porter.

Next

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Katie porter might have a better chance statewide than she does in her House district. She’s won some tight races in the house but I think the state overall might be more supportive of her positions.

Adam Schiff is interesting as while he’s gained a lot of notoriety regarding his pursuit of Trump his history isn’t as a liberal firebrand but in many other issues he’s more middle of the road. From what I recall is that he’s run in as a moderate pro-defense Democrat. In a statewide race against more liberal opponents not sure how that’s going to play out or will he capitalize as being an impeachment prosecutor and a man the extreme right hates.

Barbara Lee is literally the old Democratic guard. My guess is she will have most of the Democratic establishment behind her. That
    Might not be that helpful and could be a liability to a younger voter block.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Katie Porter is the person I support. That means that she's likely a severe underdog.

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I like Katie Porter, but I can totally see why it ain't happening.

11. adoo

adoo Member

Debt ceiling vote splits Top Democratic candidates for Feinstein’s Senate seat

Rep. Adam B. Schiff of Burbank was the sole Democratic Senate candidate who joined 164 other Democrats and 149 Republicans in voting to approve the package, which
    will suspend the nation’s borrowing limit until 2025 and imposed cuts on certain federal programs that are popular among Democrats.

Reps. Barbara Lee of Oakland and Katie Porter of Irvine, meanwhile, joined 44 other Democrats in voting against the proposal, maintaining that
    the president and his negotiators should not have allowed Republicans to advance their policy agendas in the face of a potential economic disaster.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/st...iling-vote-schiff-porter-lee-feinstein-senate

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can understand why Porter and Lee voted against the debt limit deal but I still support the passing of it. if I lived in CA this would make me more likely to support Schiff.

Yes the Republicans manufactured this crisis but that is what happens when you’re not in the majority. As is Biden got about the best deal he could put of it and default would hurt many of those that Porter and Lee stand for.

Deckard and Nook like this.
  13. adoo

adoo Member

Porter has ruffled some feathers in the Dem party establishment.

She has had some run-ins with long-time SoCal Rep Maxine Waters, a close ally of Nancy pelosi. as a result, on can infer that, she was taken off exclusive committe assignments.

Californians are forever thankful to Kamala Harris for these historic settlements against financial institutions

As AG for Calif, Kamala had appointed then-UCI law professor Katie Porter to head the investigation team gathering evidence for these lawsuits to protect Calif consumers.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Haven't lived in CA for 23 years, so not that up on who and what people want out there. I like Porter when I have seen her speak. Think Schiff has too much baggage so don't know how well he might do both in a campaign and as a senator. Hopefully more candidates arise but again, my first though was Porter. I would have like Katie Hill but she was removed from office for having an affair with a staff member. Barbara Lee is often mentioned but she is 76. Karen Bass, mayor of Los Angeles might be a possibility.

15. adoo

adoo Member

Kamala Harris also had many baggages when she was running for the state AG and later the US Senate; foremost among them was the convenient claim that she had slept her way to advance her political career.

IIRC,

Harris went on to win convincingly in both Northerm and So Cal, both times

not that sexual predator

16. adoo

adoo Member

Lexi Reese, a Google alumna, has assembled a team of political heavy hitters as she formally explores joining the crowded field of Democrats running for Dianne Feinstein’s seat.

[​IMG]

Early public and private polls show a tight race at the top between Schiff and Porter, with Lee running a distant third. Schiff had nearly $25 million on hand at the close of the last quarter while Porter finished the year’s first filing period with $9.5 million. Lee, the lone Bay Area Democrat in the race before Reese, stood at $1.2 million as of March 31.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

What the hell kind of Jayson Blair and Janet Cooke fact checking has Lee Corso's and Sports Machine George Michael's stunt double opening for Rita Rudner at Foxwoods and bumping Fred Stoller at the Laugh Factory

18. adoo

adoo Member

A gift from Kevin McCarthy, the weakest Speaker ever, to Adam Schiff

On the surface, he censure was a victory for Donald Trump, who had called for primary challenges to any Republicans who voted against it, and an indication of the former president’s continued hold on the GOP.

But Schiff didn’t fight particularly hard against the effort to formally chastise him. He told The Times he initiated no conversations with Republicans in the last week to sway their votes; he’s called the censure a “badge of honor” and has already begun using the free publicity to fuel his Senate campaign.

“Roosevelt said you can judge a person by the enemies they make,” Schiff said in an interview with The Times on Wednesday before the vote. “By that standard, I’m doing pretty damn well.

Schiff, in a hotly contested Senate race, can use the publicity, and the funds that come with it. On Tuesday night, he blasted out a campaign text message asking for donations: “Please, rush an urgent donation to help me fight back against this political attack so we can get back to addressing the real needs of our country,” he wrote. The congressman hauled in $6.5 million in the first quarter of 2023, but Democratic Rep. Katie Porter of Irvine — his closest competitor right now — wasn’t far behind, with $4.5 million.

With just over a week of fundraising left this quarter, and with nine months until primary day, the censure may give Schiff a political boost.

“It’s the best thing that could happen to him,” said Mike Madrid, a Republican political consultant and co-founder of the anti-Trump Lincoln Project. “It’s the biggest in-kind contribution he could receive.”

Deckard likes this.
  19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

lol sounds like a typicaL GOP candidate. Is too late for Herschel Walker to move to CA and run?

Deckard, Nook, JeeberD and 1 other person like this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Katie Porter... she makes things like this work.

FranchiseBlade and Xerobull like this.