1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who to pick (if we bought or traded for a pick)?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bcast89, Jun 17, 2009.

1. bcast89

bcast89 Member

i like harden or derozan as SG's. i dont think we should go for any of the point guards. brooks and lowry will only get better. why mess with the chemistry at this point?

2. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

trade chuck hayes and AB for rubiooooooooooooo

3. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

All I know is, I'm not a big fan of going after Rubio. He's an exciting young player, but I just don't see him coming in right in and contributing.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Can you hear the public address announcement if our starting lineup if we drafted Rubio.

And at guard 6'4" from Spain, RRRRRRRRRRRRicky RRRRRRRRRRRRubio!!!

5. bcast89

bcast89 Member

indeed. i believe derozan or harden would be able to contribute immediately. if a lottery pick can get us to the finals i would do it in a heartbeat.

6. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Derozan, Jennings or Evans please.Don't know how, but make it happen!!

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

At some point in the draft Casspi will become a Rocket. Yes, he will.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's very difficult to intelligently discuss who the Rockets should draft when we don't even know where we'll be drafting or if we'll be drafting.

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Rubio!!!

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/2009/06/bee-exclusive-i.html

Bee exclusive interview with Ricky Rubio
    Sam Amick

BLOG UPDATE: I've added a transcript of Rubio's interview below the video.
    Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio was kind enough to spend some time with The Bee during his Sacramento visit, cramming the one-on-one interview in between his physical at the UC Davis Medical Center and his dinner with Kings officials downtown.

In a hotel chat that came with a few logistical and technical challenges, the below video comes with one disclaimer: our photographer, Hector Amezcua, was videotaping without my knowledge. That doesn't really matter until the midway point, where I fumble with my handheld video cam while not realizing until after the fact that I didn't need to be taping at all. It's a comical moment in an otherwise interesting eight minutes.

After coming from Spain just days ago and then from Los Angeles to Sacramento today, Rubio does not have any other visits scheduled on his trip. The next day could very well determine whether that remains the case, so it's a vital time for this high-profile prospect in that respect. We'll obviously weigh in on his visit and whether he's headed to Sacramento in tomorrow's paper (read story here). Also, there is a transcript of the interview below the video (just click on 'continue reading')

RICKY RUBIO

On why it was a priority to visit with the Kings...

"I came yesterday from Barcelona to LA, then today I take a flight to Sacramento to visit the team, the city, and all the GMs. We're going to see what they want about me, they're going to explain what they want.

On how he sees the Kings as a fit for him...

"It's a good team, they are very good players and young too. That's important, because I'm a young player and when I come to any team (in) NBA, I want to get friends, young friends to try to get with them and we will see."

On what the Olympic experience did to prove to himself he could compete in NBA...

"Olympic Game was one of the best championships that I've played before. I played against the best NBA players, and the best point guards, like Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Jason Kidd. I learned a lot to play against them. I watched all the games from the US, because I want to learn from these people. I think I proved a lot in this championship."

On his NBA goals...

"I come here to play and to play the minutes. I didn't come here to play in the NBA, and (be) done. No, I want to be a really good point guard here in the best league in the world, and I want to have minutes. So I have to find the team who wants me, who really wants me."

On whether his buyout will keep him playing this season in the NBA...

"That's hard, but my agents are working on that. It's a big buyout, but my agents are working on that. I have all confidence to resolve this problem. And then, if I come here, I want to play, so I know that I can play here because in the Olympic games, I feel like I'm ready to play."

Describing his game...

"A point guard, so that means I have to...put all the players in his position and what they have to do. That's hard when you are young, but I had a really good teacher in my first year, in (Spanish) ACB (League) was Elmer Bennett. He (taught) me a lot. He was like 35 years old, and he was like my dad on the court. He (taught) me a lot. My best thing is what play I have to do at the right time. And then I love to run, to defend and run. That's it."

On his leadership ability and the fact that Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie was impressed by that quality in his European scouting trip last month...

"That's great, no? That sounds great (regarding Petrie). I'm only 18 years old, but I'm in the court like big big man. If your teammates don't respect you, you can't be a point guard, so that's very important. When you are a leader, the point guard who leads your team, your team gets better."

On handling the target that will likely be on his back in the NBA...

"Of course. I like the (challenges)...I love to play, and when I have a game, I try to get better. And if he tries to beat me, I will be better. If everybody tries to compete against me, I will be better."

On the Kings roster...

"I don't know the names, but I looked at the rosters. I looked at age, when they were born. That's important that the team has young guys."

10. bcast89

bcast89 Member

i cant edit the OP but what i originally meant was if we had a pick in the first round, who should we go for?

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Depends on where your picking.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Xiki, in the end I see it being very difficult for the rockets trading up into the lottery. Who knows. I think a pick in the 20s could probably be had all day in this draft and that area is more realistic for the rockets.

13. herro

herro Member

Harden, Evans, Rubio, Jennings, Derozan, Curry

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He well may fall into the latter teens. I believe he will be a Rocket, regardless of whether a Top 8 pick is secured.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Buying a pick will get us a low 1st rounder or a high 2nd rounder at best. Trading for a lottery pick will cost us Landry and Brooks,and get us probably between 10-14 at best. A talented player might be available at that point,but it's too risky to give them up.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is interesting without a doubt,my only concern is regarding his lateral quickness and his ability to defend 3's.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrickeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooobeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooo!

18. Yaoismyhomeboy

Come on! DM, give me curry, I watched so many Davison games, this guy is crazy, he's the guy that gonna punish our opponents hard when they double or triple team Yao!!

19. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Derozan or Jennings seems to both sail my ship and float my boat.

:p

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

has this not been discussed enough in other threads?

Maybe if you mean if we had a LATE pick, as in 20-30, then discussion would be worth it, otherwise it's really repetitive