1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should win the MVP?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DwangBoy, Apr 10, 2007.

1. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I think it should be kobe or nash. Dirk is most certainly not a bigger contributer to the mavs than nash and kobe is to their respective teams. This coupled with the fact that nash and kobe are performing at higher levels puts them way ahead of dirk (maybe with a little of my mav's hate). But i think the mavs team is winning b/c of players like jason terry, jerry stackhouse, etc. and coach avery johnson, NOT dirk. Dirk is playing a great season, but he's done better in the past with different teammates and not have his team done as well as they are now. To me, he is just an integral part of the team and by no means more than 50% responsible for their record. His team can win w/o him easily.

2. demon77

demon77 Member

3. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

IMHO- Steve Nash-he is responsible for something really special in Phoenix and the NBA. Non - fans love this style of play and this will help draw more fans to the sport.

4. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Steve Nash passes all the criteria for being an MVP:

- Team completely revolves around him? CHECK.
    - Team would completely fall apart without him? CHECK.
    - Eye-popping stats? CHECK.
    - Team having a lot of wins and is one of the elite teams? CHECK.

Dirk nor Kobe should win it.

5. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

good points

I like to hear what the kids and other non fans in my family comment about basketball.

They all know who Steve Nash and Dwayne Wade are. When players spark on-fan interest- this is really good for the sport

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Dirk or Kobe

I think nash does not deserve the mvp let alone 3 of them. If he was gonna win one, id shouldda been this year, he didnt deserve it the last 2

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's funny because even though I don't think he deserves it this year or even last year, I have no problem Nash winning the MVP again. What I do have a problem with is that no one in the media has publicly asked the rest of the Suns: "When Steve does not play, why do you suck?" Aside from Leandro Barbosa, the rest of the Suns goes into fetal position mode when Nash is down. I'd like to see how Marion, Amare, Raja Bell responds.

8. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

yeah does anyone agree with my point on dirk? i don't think he should get anything.. maybe a championship mvp if he gets there, but other than that, he hasn't been THAT important to his team's success, relative to the other candidates.

9. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

Has anyone won 3 MVPs and no championships? That will probably be the case with Nash this year.

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Vladimir Radmanovic I guess...

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

robert horry

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Dirk will win it. Nash deserves it.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'll be pissed if Nash gets it. He didnt deserve it the past 2 years. 3 mvps and no finals appearances looks bad.

14. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

T-mac is my choice.

Without T-mac, there is no 50+ win season, a play-off appearance and an opportunity to compete for the title. Yao spent 30+ games on the injured list.

Nash is a valid MVP candidate but as some posters previously pointed out he plays in a system and with a supporting cast that makes him look really good.

Dirk I believe will get the award ahead of Nash and Timmy because he plays in a team with the best record and he has solid numbers across the board.

15. Chronz

Chronz Member

Dirk, without either Dirk or Nash both teams arent the same but while one means more to his team in terms of wins in the regular season (Nash) the other means more to his team in terms of making them a Finals contender. Untill Nash proves he has that type of ability to lead a team to the finals the way Dirk did last year I wont consider what he does more valuable than what Dirk has allready done.

Besides Nash robbed Shaq once, he robbed Dirk last year, its only fair that he wont win the MVP the 1 year he absolutely deserved it.

Behind both is Duncan, THEN Tmac, then Kobe.

16. clutch11

clutch11 Member

there is a Haier Fan Vote on NBA.com

http://www.nba.com/features/player_rankings.html

Steve Nash, Suns 34%

Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks 30%

Kobe Bryant, Lakers 25%

Other 5%

LeBron James, Cavaliers 3%

Tracy McGrady, Rockets 3%

Tim Duncan, Spurs 0%

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Are you seriously calling out Nash for his supporting cast? Dirk's team would win 50 without him. Nash's team would struggle to find 35 wins.

Marion and "the Nose" owe Nash a ton of cash. I wish we would have got Nash instead of Sura.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I am more open-minded to the idea of Kobe winning than earlier, but it's still a two man race with nobody else close. I still lean towards Dirk because the body of work this season by the Mavs is amazing and Dirk's stats are superb.

19. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

dirk can win all the mvp's he wants, just as long as the freaking mavericks don't win the title. I will vomit if that happens.

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree preety much with your list, IMO Dirk, Nash, Kobe, TD, Lebrin, Tmac for me.

But Phx is the only WC team to be in two strait WCF. Let's not pretend that Nash and the Suns havn't been very, very, good in the playoffs. Nash was awesume last year to get the Suns that far with their injuries. I think this year and last Nash and Dirk are fine splitting. 3 years ago was tough--the best players on the best teams were Oneal, Wade, Duncan and Nash--but none really had MVP typical stats. Kobe, Lebron and AI had great, great stats, but only AI's team made the playoffs. I think it should have been AI or Dirk--best compromise with MVP level performance and leading the team to some success.

So yes Dirk is due.