1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who pitches for Twins

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Amadeus Rooster, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Amadeus Rooster

Who do the Twins have lined up to pitch?

Gray? Berryos is gone.

Keppler. Who else is on the Twins. Johan Dhuran does well as a relief pitcher, eh? But most relievers don't face the likes of Altuve, Bregman, Yordan, Tucker blah blah blah.

Looks like a big mismatch to me. Stros have the big guns with experience and will be a miracle if the Twins keep a game within 3 runs if you ask me.

2. CinematicFusion

Pablo López and Sonny Gray are as good as any one-two rotation punch in the playoffs, and they should be able to start three times in a five-game series.

Twins retooled their late-inning bullpen mix down the stretch, getting Brock Stewart and Chris Paddack back from injury, shifting starters Louie Varland and Kenta Maeda to the bullpen and sticking with Griffin Jax, Caleb Thielbar and Jhoan Duran as their high-leverage trio. They’re able to mix and match relief options in a way they couldn’t until mid-September, with high-octane raw stuff up and down the depth chart.

Game one will be Verlander vs Joe Ryan (4.51 era)
    Astros must take game one.

3. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I don’t have the stats to back this up but I feel like the Astros hit better against guys with high-octane raw stuff. It’s the Chris Bassitt’s and Jordan Lyles of the world that are throwing junk that seems to give this team issues it seems.

4. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

They also have Kenta Maeda. His Era is high because his 1st or 2nd game of the season was really bad but since returning from his injury, looks decent. Doesn't look like he goes deep into games. Five or six innings.

5. Yordan The Great

JV vs Ryan
    Valdez vs Lopez

Javier vs Gray
    #4 vs #4

JV vs Lopez

Lopez ain't no joke.

Astros indeed MUST win game 1.

6. CinematicFusion

I’m changing my prediction.
    Bailey Ober (3.53 era last 35 innings) will get the start game one for the Twins. He’s looked better then Ryan (4.51 era). Ober has been more consistent this year and stats show he is better at limiting quality contact over Ryan.

Astros haven’t faced Ober this year.
    Astros faced Ryan twice and hit him hard.

Ober (3.43) vs Verlander (3.22) game one
    Lopez (3.66) vs Framber (3.45) game two
    Grey (2.79) vs Javier (4.56) game three
    Ryan (4.51) vs France (3.83/Urquidy (5.29) game 4
    Lopez vs Verlander game 5

With the way Astros offense has struggled at home and the unknowns of what we will get from Javier.
    This series feels like a pick’m series and could go 5.

Need to see playoff Astros offense wake up.

PuzzledFan and rocketsjudoka like this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Twins Bullpen There are Pitchers that throw 103 mph.

Astros Hitters better be ready. Astros Pitchers better be Ready.

Home Crowd Energy

CinematicFusion likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would very much like to see the Twins pitch outfielder Max Kepler.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yep Twins pitching makes me
    Nervous. For most of the Twins history they’ve been noted for hitting, weak pitching and especially weak bullpens. This Twins team is different and no accident they snapped an 18 game playoff losing streak.

Besides pitching Correa looks like he’s returned back to the “what time is it!” Playoff Correa. He’ll be fired up to play back in MMP.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Something will have to go really wrong for Maeda to start. He’s in the bullpen and hasn’t been good due to injury.

11. CinematicFusion

The series has two days off so both Framber and Verlander would be on 4/5 days rest for game 5.

Twins aren’t as good at hitting lefties and Framber might get the call game 5 if necessary.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Don't ask.

Wait for the game thread after it's posted 2 hours before first pitch.

Justin Thomas likes this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

No need to stress. We're playing with house money this time around.

14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Astros Batters have to be More Focused and Not wasting at bats. Astros are Mediocre at Home.

Astros Batters need to Foul off Pitches more and work the Count. Easier said than Done. Twins Pitching has All Stars to Dominant Power Pitchers.

Twins Pitching is really Dominant, Solid, Elite Bullpen Arms that Throw 103 mph.

KelvinCato13 and rocketsjudoka like this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Oooh. Scary!. Must be Halloween. We win or we lose. Just play loose.

Attempt at humor - Jim n' I are coming to town. Get it?

#15 Marshall Bryant, Oct 6, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Historically Verlander has owned the Twins going back to his days in Detroit. Dusty being Dusty might want to go with him for a game 5 if necessary.

Also for those thinking the Twins pitchers are going to be cowed by the Stros hitters if I remember correctly back in one of the games in Houston Duran came in in the 9th in a tie game and struck out Altuve and Bregman. Watch the highlights from their last game and he was throwing absolutely filthy stuff.

17. Buck Turgidson

Yep. I think a solid plan is to not let the Twins have a lead in the 9th

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

We saw Sonny Gray and Lopez having trouble early on. The Blue Jays couldn't bring people home and made some mistakes. I think the Stros can get hits. Definately can't do like Vlad Guerro and be caught on the bases.

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I heard on the radio (I have not independently verified) that during this golden age, the Astros have one a ridiculous 18 of 23 games in the ALDS round, and are undefeated at home. I know we have advanced to the ALCS a billion years in a row, so this rings true. At the same time, that is an outlandish winning percentage in the ALDS and being undefeated at home in such a long stretch is incredible.

All of which to say ... intellectually, this is a 60/40, 55/45 matchup and its anybody's series. BUT, until someone proves otherwise, we are going to freaking advance to the ALCS because the Astros have been and are inevitable.

Wulaw Horn and everyday eddie like this.
  20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

103 mph is Elite