1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the better post player? Scola or Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by G-Money, Sep 8, 2010.

?

Better post player?

1. Luis Scola

77 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Yao Ming

278 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. Stepping Razor

He just turned 30 (Apr 30, 1980)

2. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

You can't teach height. I'll take Yao anyday.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The ironic thing about this thread (to me, anyway) besides its existence (sorry, fellow Scola fans!), is that Luis largely plays center on the national team for Argentina in FIBA competition. I can't recall if that was true for Scola as a professional in Europe, but it seems to be true right now. Yet in the NBA, despite quite a few minutes as a 5 due to injuries to other guys, Luis is most definitely a 4 and a damn good one. He's not, however, in Yao's class as a post player. Not if Yao is healthy. He doesn't impact the post game defensively in any fashion remotely comparable to Yao, and doesn't draw the double teams on offense nearly as often as Yao does, although we saw far more doubling of Luis last season compared to previous seasons, as teams realized he was killing them.

I think the "problem" we have here is that Yao has been off the court far too long, and Scola is having an MVP level FIBA tournament performance as we speak. The Rockets need to feature Luis much more this year on offense, and I think Adelman will, but a healthy Yao, assuming we get that, will make this thread seem a bit silly during the season, in my opinion.

4. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Well, ultimately, regardless of "who is the better post player", both Yao and Scola have their strengths and weaknesses. Also ultimately, both are damn good players, and the Rockets are blessed to have them both. Hopefully, Yao can come back to playing at a top level, and Scola can complement him with his typical "international monster" level performances.

Seriously guys, we are damn damn DAMN lucky.

5. Landry92

Landry92 Member

Scola Moves are flashy But with his recent preformences he should become overrated .. Yes even him ..

I prefer Landry post game less sparkling more effective (Draws double teams)
    He's two strong and Athletic than small PF and Faster than Big PF

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Landry is obviously a better post player, and that's why he's the guy Adelman was going to in 4th quarters last year. Scola is a really good role player and a superb teammate and role model. He's got a champion's heart and drive, but he's by no means an elite post player.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Agreed. Even on his way to a 30 ppg average, Scola got much of his scoring off pick/pop jumpers and by means other than the traditional post-up. He is by no means as effective or efficient in his back to the basket game as guys like Yao and even Landry because he lacks Yao's size and Landry's quickness. All that fancy footwork is fine, but he only shot a 55% TS% compared to over 60% by Yao and Landry as primary post-options. Not suprising since a close shot by a 7'6'' giant and a dunk by an explosive leaper is still a higher % shot than a fancy "scoop" employed by Scola.

Also, for all that talk about Yao not being the easiest guy to pass to, and being easily fronted, the guy managed to score 20 ppg, so it's apparently possible to find him pretty frequently.

8. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

Let me start by saying I love Scola, and his bobblehead sits next to the tv. That being said, there is nothing about him that is "Dreamesque." Go watch some Hakeem highlights, you must not be remembering him properly.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

As some have already pointed out, Scola's scoring even in the FIBA games is mostly from mid-range jumpers, rather than back-to-the-basket post moves. I am pretty sure Adelman will use him a lot in this way, using PnR with either Brooks or Martin.

Scola is a better roller than Yao. He knows how to get to an open spot. The mid-range game of Scola will give Yao more space to operate in the low post.

Scola is not nearly as good as Bosh. But he is definitely a better teammate and has a better heart and attitude. I am glad we kept him.

10. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

This thread is like "Who's the better wing player? Artest or Kobe?" on a Lakers forum.

11. sergio

sergio Member

Yao has a hard time hanging on to the ball sometimes and Scola can't shoot over defenders as eazy as Yao. That perrty much makes them even. I'm just glad to have them both on are team.

12. sergio

sergio Member

Landry hasn't learned to pass out of the double teams and that's one of the reasons the Rockets traded him. I miss Landry but Scola is a better team player and knows the game alot better.

13. landryfans

landryfans Member

14. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Gives me a call when Scola averages 25 points against double teams.

2 people like this.
  15. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I mean they're both post players but you can't really compare the two. Is like this one has this and that other one has that.

Yao has the size, strength and great touch to make him a great post threat while Scola doesn't have the size, but he does make it up with his series of post moves, amazing footwork, and agility.

Both are indeed great post players. But Yao is limited because of his health so right now, Scola is probably the better player.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao is the best in the NBA...

17. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Well said.
    I had to vote Scola as well. Scola is at the top of his game right now. He has ton of confidence coming off a great season and trny. With his mentality and competitiveness, you know he wants to prove(to himself), that he's can come back to the NBA show he's one of the best.

On the other hand I do like seeing all the Yao love around here, but he has been out a long time, so it's gonna take some time. I do agree Yao, when healthy is the best center in the game and is unstoppable one on one. He commands double teams, but believe me other teams are going to commit doubles for Scola as well.

My thing is Yao has always had trouble holding on to the ball and getting good position. Scola twists and turns and defenses start twisting as well. If Yao could learn to play off Scola a bit, by finding the angles, cutting for easy baskets and jumpers. Playing on high post, cutting when his defender sags towards Scola.

Not to say I don't want Yao down on the block, because Yao is a force down there and makes teams focus on him. But if Yao worked off Scola a bit it would make his life easier, running Rick's offense the way it was run in Sac. Finding open shots off reading the defense.

A kind of Ying Yang. Yao a few times then Scola a few. It'd give Yao some rest from banging so much. This would be only in half court sets, other wise Yao with the outlet and fastbreak.

For dominance in the paint? Yao
    But on the block with the final possession? Scola

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

I honestly don't know how Rockets fans could just conveniently forget this. In his last season, Yao score 20% of all of our baskets almost exclusively inside, with an insanely 62 TS%. Scola last year, without Yao to draw double teams, had a 55 TS%. And scoring less both overall, and on a per-minute basis(for all those who point to Scola's sharing of time with Landry).

I don't know why people keep bringing up how Yao lacks the fancy footwork or the cool looking post moves. The last time I checked, the game of basketball is still about how well you put the ball in the hoop.

19. Seth

Seth Member

I hope you are right in those two points, i agree largelly, but our guards need to work a lot in the pick and roll and post passes, and passing in general for that to happen. (for both Yao and Scola)

20. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

According to Kendrick Perkins Yao is best in league.