1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the better post player? Scola or Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by G-Money, Sep 8, 2010.

?

Better post player?

1. Luis Scola

77 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Yao Ming

278 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Love Scola, seems like a great guy, and he is killing in FIBA. And he was always one of the best in his earlier Spanish league days.
    But, in the NBA, where the Best Talent is....I'm taking Yao. The guy has consistently throughout his career put up all-star numbers for the team.
    His post game has a mid range jumper, little hook, back to the basket, small fade away and can actually dunk on guys sometimes. His defensive impact speaks for itself. Last Season.

Scola, my man, but everybody and their momma knows, that after all the twisting and moves...he is going to his right for the shot. Last year he gave us his best season...I think around 16-9. Also has a good mid range shot(how many times have we seen that free throw line shot) and he's good around the basket as well. He has an impressive back to the basket game, and he cleans up well/keeping plays alive/second chance points.

Both are pretty slow, and can't jump.

I suppose at the end of the day for me, Scola is a great role player for good NBA teams, and Yao is one of the go to guys on those same teams. But this is just my HO...so don't freak out over it. :) :cool:

2. liljojo

liljojo Member

Really? 81 votes for Scola? I love Luis, but Yao is arguably the most dominant offensive post player in the game. Scola is arguably a top ten PF. Do the math.

3. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

The question should Scola eart into Yao's shots and the answer is yes. YAO wont be the same player anymore with all the injuries and his size will only put more stress on his joints. It's TIME to use Luis alot more on offense with posting him up and using him with the P&R.Plus Luis is a bonafide and proven CLUTCH player.

4. liljojo

liljojo Member

The reason Yao wont get as many shots is because they'll play him less minutes, not because Scola is a better post option. It's stupid to have Yao in the game and not use him, as he's your best player.

They're going to reduce his playing time, not his role in the offense.

5. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Scola has better footwork and makes a lot of his points from up and under scoop shots. He's incredibly crafty at them. BUT, he does the scoop shots because he has to do them.

Yao doesn't do the scoop shots because he can simply shoot over his opponents. We don't want him to be making most of his shots with up-and-under moves. That's a move that you do out of necessity and Yao doesn't need to. When Yao gets the ball in the block and is single covered, he is unstoppable. His baby hook, which he can do over either shoulder combined with fadeaway and his baseline spin move are a devastating ensemble. Obviously every defender knows in advance what Yao's repertoire is so in that sense it is predictable. But even if they know what's coming doesn't mean that can stop him.

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

That sounds great in theory but by the time the ball gets swung from one half of the court to the other, Yao's defender is quick enough to recover to defensive rebounding position/behind Yao and Yao no longer has offensive rebounding position. Yao's slowness is a big negative in these situations. Also, if Scola is ever doubled, since Yao is on the opposite side of Scola, Yao can't get the ball either, and the defense on Yao is not really affected by what the defense does on the opposite side of the court either, so that even if Scola is doubled and the ball is attempted to be swung back to Yao, Yao's defender can still front him. It's up to the man whose defender is doubling Scola to make the defense pay, not Yao.

7. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Who said Yao wont be used on the court?..... I said Luis Should also get more offen run through him.Plus luis is quik and smart enough to beat fronting defense if it is applied to him.

BTW, Yao being the best is debatable. He is coming back from multipale surgeries and he is 30. He might never be what he was 3 years ago. Guys like Martin could be better then him from now on.

8. shioew

shioew Member

Excuse me, how old is Scolar? is he only 26, 27 or somethig?

1 person likes this.
  9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yao easily, but only because of defense.

Scola has a unique ability to find an open hole when there isn't one. Scola proved to me, that he is a big time player when he topped Yao's high points in a game. Scola has an unbelievable amount of tools in his holster.

All that being said, Yao is going to outplay his counterpart in almost every game points-wise because his defense in the post is spectacular. I say spectacular because today's game is not called in a way that favors his skills that use his height/size.

Both players are very solid. I wouldn't want to lose either one. Also, I'm starting to think two things. Damn, I glad we didn't lose Luis to Toronto in a Bosh trade and also, Luis's numbers will surmount Bosh's due to more offense going thru Luis.

1 person likes this.
  10. yaomingyaoming

Hmmm...the poll results indicate 25.8% of the forum just aren't very knowledgeable about basketball.

The poll result should be 100 to 0 in Yao's favor. Scola is a good player, great person and teammate, but anyone who thinks Scola is better than Yao in the post is just not very knowledgeable.

11. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Since Yi is the only player who averaged 20 and 10 in this fiba...whos the better post player ? Yi or Yao ?

12. VBG

VBG Member

Who has more post moves? - Scola

Who is a better post scorer? - Yao

13. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

This.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar had only one major move in his entire repertoire. No one could stop it.

Yao's the same.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Scola seals his man better, he spreads out, gets his arms wide and presents a far superior target than Yao.

Yao is too skinny in his post position.

Once Yao gets it though he is nearly unstoppable.

But Luis is pretty good as well....tons of fakes, a left hand even lately....

I think it is a toss up, but I voted for Luis because of his superior post positioning.

DD

15. esteban

esteban Member

Can't wait for the season to start so I don't have to read r****ded thread like
    this, oh wait........nevermind!

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

The thing is, though, if Yao can't get over quick enough to re-post before the fronting defense then either Brooks, Martin or Battier should have a WIDE open shot from Scola's double team along Yao to be board man. I think teams will begin to respect Scola A LOT more this season and throw more double teams which will open up opportunities for the rest of the guys.

Basically, teams will need to decided who to leave wide open and/or switch all over the place which should create open shots or mismatches that Adelman can exploit.

17. blink

blink Contributing Member

this is similar to the 'is dwight howard a good post player?' thread. on one hand, he's extremely effective at putting the ball in the hole.... on the other hand, he has the same post moves arsenal as chuck hayes.

not saying yao is the same as dwight but scola has better post moves than yao and is built like a tank while yao is built like a glass house.

id rather watch scola in the post than yao, that's for sure.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Why this is even a discussion is beyond me. In NBA setting, where one-on-one play and stars shine, I don't see Scola even coming close to Yao.

The only scenario where I can see Scola being even remotely on Yao's level in the post is if we have a CP3/Nash level passer. Scola is much better at moving without the ball, and getting in optimal position to receive a pass inside. But without a great passer, that skill is not as useful. Whereas Yao's post play is more stable and system-oriented than simply being opportunistic.

19. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

Yao because he's taller

20. Stepping Razor

It is very hard to judge, Yao with his size advantage is more dominant inside and can shoot easily over his defenders, plus when he gets the ball deep in the post, fouling him is the only way to prevent a layup or dunk.

Scola is just a hard nosed player that has way better footwork,versatility, and a less predictable repetoire of post moves. Scola also can't be left alone from out to 18 ft., he can make you pay as witnessed (when he scored 44pts).

Its a toss up but I will go with Yao due to his defensive presence..he might not lead the league in blocks, but will effect nearly every inside shot just by being close by. Also, if Yao would get in the habit of holding the ball up high, after an entry pass, that would minimize the ball from being stolen by the sneaky guards coming from the weakside/baseline.