1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the 2nd greatest Rocket of all time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sealclubber1016, Oct 26, 2014.

?

Second greatest Rocket

1. Moses Malone

66.8%
  2. Calvin Murphy

17.3%
  3. Rudy T

15.9%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Maybe it is just me but Murphy's off the court issues really don't make me want to view him as a top 3 all time Rocket. On the court he wasn't too 3, but has been involved with the organization forever... Still cannot see how Rudy T isn't above Murphy.

Moses Malone played like 6 years as a Rocket, that is long enough. Couple that with his mentoring of Dream is good enough to put him #2 as a player and #3 overall.

I have personal favorites like Robert Reid, Alan Level and Otis Thorpe that personally are "Rockets".

Yao isn't in the top 3 but people are already forgetting how dominant he was when he played. Defensively he was vastly underrated and offensively he was the most skilled since the early 90's. He will be a Hall of Famer and never complained or asked to be traded. He is an exceptional man.

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

Charles Jones.

3. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I voted for Moses, but the Big E was a badass too.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

5. soupman

soupman Member

Moses Malone would get my vote, but #3 on my list would be the Big E...Elvin Hayes.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I voted for Moses Malone, since he had two MVP seasons with the Rockets.

The Big E's best seasons statistically came when he was a Houston/San Diego Rocket. He was the scoring champ when he was rookie.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

When he or Howard take us to the promised land again, no doubt!

Did you leave Moses off on purpose? He carried us to the finals AND he taught Hakeem how to play the game.

http://youtu.be/SAsKKy93Wr4?t=7m35s

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SAsKKy93Wr4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. fattz

fattz Member

The other tower was the better of the twins in the early years... Till his injuries and not taking the time needed to heal stole his career.

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. DJ

DJ Member

What's with all the sarcastic answers?

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Akeem destroyed the Lakers in four games in a row in 1986, his 2nd season. He passed Sampson in his second season. I don't think there's much argument on this.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

with the way people talked about him, you would think Sura.

13. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Moses! My favorite player growing up who basically singlehandedly (with ZERO frontcourt help and an greatly aging Murph) carried the 1980-81 Rockets to the finals and to two wins against the stacked Celtics who not only had their HOF trio frontcourt but a prime Cedric Maxwell as well (can you say quadruple team?). Of course I am a fan of Murph and Rudy too.

14. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Yao - Rocket lifer

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Easily Tmac.

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

17. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

two time league MVP with the Rockets, Moses by a landslide....he even beats The Dream in that category

best offensive rebounder of all time

18. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

I definitely believe Moochie Norris is the 2nd greatest player in Rockets history. He definitely changed the game.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ralph should be on the list, at least.

20. Know Your Role

I didn't forget him, I personally think there are 5 guys in front of him. MVP or not. I put him at 6. I'm looking at what these guys sacrificed, on/off court achievements, and what they have brought to the team since they retired from playing. All 4 of them left a mark, Rudy T and Yao suffered physically and are both probably still in pain. You get your face or foot shattered and come back to play you get to be a life long legend. Moses was a legend, but also a journeyman. Was he a lifelong, loyal Rocket? He played for the Spurs during Robinson's MVP season so that needs to be taken into serious consideration. That was Hakeem's trophy!!